Trillium Frame Concerns - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-08-2006, 08:09 PM   #21

Trailer: 73 Boler
Quote:
Colin, if I understand your sketch, your plate positioned vertically on the outside of the frame rail would interfere with the f/g shell on my Trillium; differant frame configuration for your Boler, I guess. Is your frame positioned 2"x4" horizontally or 2"x4" vertically?
Sketch tends to show it horizontal...the Trillium is vertical.
The sketch is of the plate welded on the bottom of the frame. Dont need to remove anything.
Attached Thumbnails
frame_drawing.JPG  
colin k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 07:35 AM   #22

Trailer: 1989 17 ft Bigfoot Deluxe / 2004 Ford Ranger
Quote:
The sketch is of the plate welded on the bottom of the frame. Dont need to remove anything.
Colin...I finally clued in on the location of your reinforcing plate...that final sketch did the trick !!
If I decide to run with a plate loc'n like yours,(bottom surface of frame) the bolt anchoring the f/g shell to the frame will definitely be in the way, being located only about 4" back from front face of the shell; drilling a hole in the plate for the bolt should do the trick.

Joe
Joseph Olajos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 07:59 AM   #23

Trailer: 86 Burro 17 ft Widebody
Joe,
Here is a picture of my Trillium plates that look like they have been there since new. The plate is 24" long and is on both the outside and inside of the frame. It is 3/16 plate.
Good luck,
Rick
Attached Thumbnails
DSC00172.JPG   DSC00173.JPG  

Rick F. D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 09:52 AM   #24

Quote:
Joe,
Here is a picture of my Trillium plates that look like they have been there since new. The plate is 24" long and is on both the outside and inside of the frame. It is 3/16 plate.
Good luck,
Rick
Excellant photos, Rick...show the placement of the plates real well.Also shown is the "pocket" on the top surface of the frame, formed at the factory when it was bent into the final shape;that was in fact, THE spot that initially concerned me,and was the main reason for my original posting. Looks like it has held up over the years on its own, as the plate seems to stop short of it.

Thanx,
Joe
Old 04-09-2006, 11:34 AM   #25

Trailer: 1981 Trillium 5500
that diamond shaped plate was a factory repair, from the recall over bad frames .
(to the best of my memory).

my 13 footer had been repaired with one plate on the bottom of the frame with a hole for the mounting bolt to stick through, and one plate on each side, extending about 2-3 inches either side of the dimple in the frame.
Joe MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 12:59 PM   #26

Quote:
that diamond shaped plate was a factory repair, from the recall over bad frames .
(to the best of my memory).

my 13 footer had been repaired with one plate on the bottom of the frame with a hole for the mounting bolt to stick through, and one plate on each side, extending about 2-3 inches either side of the dimple in the frame.
Your repair being 3 plates, Joe, do you recall the length of the plate on the bottom, with respect to the mounting bolt...where it started, where it ended?
I don't know about your frame, but mine does a gentle horizontal curve in the area just before the frame reaches the bolt, so I can see having to curve the plate as well.

Joe O
Old 04-09-2006, 04:29 PM   #27

Trailer: Trillium 4500
Does anyone know if the frame problem effects Trillium 4500's. Mine is a '79 and has the dimple on top and diamond plates welded on the sides. Thanks
Dan M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 05:03 PM   #28

Trailer: 86 Burro 17 ft Widebody
Quote:
Does anyone know if the frame problem effects Trillium 4500's. Mine is a '79 and has the dimple on top and diamond plates welded on the sides. Thanks
Dan,
My Trillium (and the pictures above) is a '78 4500 and the frame is solid. Take a small hammer and tap along the bottom of the bend area and listen to the ring of the steel, tap around the side areas to get a sound reference. You can also really give the bottom a wack (ball peen hammer) to see if it dents, that might indicate a rusted out frame rail.
Rick
Rick F. D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 03:35 PM   #29

Trailer: 1981 Trillium 5500
If I remember right, the plate started about 4 inches in, under the trailer, and then followed the bottom up past the curve till the frame squared off again. Hazarding a guess, I would say whoever did the repair welded the bottom side first, then as he worked his way up heated and hammered the plate to fit the profile.
Joe MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trillium