Trillium Jubilee Wood Floor Replacement - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-30-2011, 05:15 PM   #1

Name: Robert
Trailer: Trillium Jubilee
Nova Scotia
Trillium Jubilee Wood Floor Replacement

Hello Everyone. I ran into some more trouble as I started the reno of the "Trill". Water has gotten into the front section 3/4" plywood floor along with some insect (ant) damage. Looks to me like I''ll end up replacing the whole front (4' long X width of trailer) section. I've got a foot or two done in from the door (the worst of the rot was here...likely a poor door seal)and I find that there was a lot of frp resin? used as spot adhesive to hold the plywood and frp together, I'm guessing. Looks like someone splashed down some catalysed resin then laid down the plywood floor before bolting thru to the frame...all in all, it makes a hard removal job that much harder. I pry up what is loose after carefully kerfing with my multitool (thank goodness for it!), then work with chisels and the multitool to "plane the stuck wood fibers down" to the thin frp laminate floor. Anyone out there done this job before (there must be) and am I going about it the right way? And what should I do with the replacement plywood once I get to that point?...use resin or industrial adhesive or mastic sealer to rebond it to the frp or leave it "loose" and depend on the frame bolts to hold things together?
Robert from Nova Scotia
rcaulen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 06:01 PM   #2

Name: Andrew
Trailer: Modified Trillium Jubilee
Ontario
Registry
I know the pain...
I didn't know how to do it "right" so I did it like this:
I scored the old ply with a skill-saw set to cut just a hair under 3/4" deep. Than I used a 2" chisel and a 5 pond mallet to remove the pieces. After days of hard work and countless words that are not used on this forum I glued in new pieces in place using PL Premium construction adhesive.
HTH
Old 08-30-2011, 06:23 PM   #3

Nova Scotia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew GPSMapNut View Post
I know the pain...
I didn't know how to do it "right" so I did it like this:
I scored the old ply with a skill-saw set to cut just a hair under 3/4" deep. Than I used a 2" chisel and a 5 pond mallet to remove the pieces. After days of hard work and countless words that are not used on this forum I glued in new pieces in place using PL Premium construction adhesive.
HTH
Andrew: Thanks for the info..at least now I know it's not just OUR Jubilee that's constructed in this fashion. I think I'll use a pressure treated plywood as a replacement and do like you and use construction adhesive for the bond. Maybe any future leaks down the road won't lead to such in-depth repair. BTW, did your Jubilee have the 3/8" foam wall covering rather than Ensolite and did you "keep" or "replace" it?
Robert
Old 08-30-2011, 06:37 PM   #4

Name: Andrew
Trailer: Modified Trillium Jubilee
Ontario
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcaulen View Post
Andrew: Thanks for the info..at least now I know it's not just OUR Jubilee that's constructed in this fashion. I think I'll use a pressure treated plywood as a replacement and do like you and use construction adhesive for the bond. Maybe any future leaks down the road won't lead to such in-depth repair. BTW, did your Jubilee have the 3/8" foam wall covering rather than Ensolite and did you "keep" or "replace" it?
Robert
It had remains of a kind of Ensolite. It was totally messed up so we stripped it (elbow grease again) and used foam floor tiles from Canadian Tire
Attached Thumbnails
Img_2011-06-05_16-34-31.JPG  
Old 08-31-2011, 04:09 AM   #5

Nova Scotia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew GPSMapNut View Post
It had remains of a kind of Ensolite. It was totally messed up so we stripped it (elbow grease again) and used foam floor tiles from Canadian Tire
Thanks Again Andrew!
Another idea to consider. We are on the "fence" as to what to do with our interior covering....try to "reclaim" it (cleaning,gluing, patching, etc.) or go like you and replace.
Robert

Tags
trillium