trillium owners, and others.... - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-23-2010, 03:43 PM   #1

Name: Marjie
Trailer: Trillium 4500
New York
trillium owners, and others....

Hello,
We will be replacing the sliding wood doors that are on the front and rear upper cabinets in our Trill. 4500. They are original, very thin plywood that has delaminated.

Have any of you made new ones? If so, what did you make them out of? The same material? Something else? And did you do anything to make them slide better?

We will be replacing all cabinet doors eventually, but these are the worst as they can't even slide in their tracks anymore.

All help appreciated!

Marjie
Rarebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 09:36 PM   #2

Trailer: 1978 Trillium 4500
Registry
Our old sliding doors had lost their vinyl covering years ago and the glue left behind made them difficult to slide.

We replaced them using the originals as a pattern - front and rear are different lengths. I found some thin masonite panelboard that already came with a white slightly textured vinyl bonded to it. These were then painted using my favorite off the shelf Trillium color match - Tremclad Recreational White - though it does smell and takes a while to dry.

The hardware was replaced using items found in the section that sells parts for pocket/sliding doors.

Oh so retro
Attached Thumbnails
100_1081 (Small).jpg   100_1435 (Small).jpg  

100_1418 (Small).jpg  
Chris McVeigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 10:34 PM   #3

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
Registry
I like your solution with that textured melamine stuff. I think if you put some paste wax on the edge of the wood, it would help it slide better.

Regards,

Matt
Old 11-23-2010, 10:59 PM   #4

Trailer: 1976 Scamp 13 ft
Registry
Wow, that looks great. Thanks for sharing.
DannyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 11:56 PM   #5

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Yes, thank you. I just received a parcel today with 95% of the entire rear cabinet. I'll have to check with the shipper to see if they have the two missing peices. This is very timely and informative information.

Chris, is the Tremclad Recreational White, the one on the left or the right? Is that really what the colour is called?
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 05:09 AM   #6

Name: Marjie
Trailer: Trillium 4500
New York
Chris,
That looks great, thanks for sharing!
I can't wait to redo ours, they are such a mess I can't open the doors, and I could really use the storage.
Marjie
Rarebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 06:35 AM   #7

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy in TO View Post
Yes, thank you. I just received a parcel today with 95% of the entire rear cabinet. I'll have to check with the shipper to see if they have the two missing peices. This is very timely and informative information.

Chris, is the Tremclad Recreational White, the one on the left or the right? Is that really what the colour is called?
The off white cover on the left is painted - I could only find white ones when looking for replacements. And yes that's the name of the color - seems appropriate enough.
Old 11-24-2010, 10:56 AM   #8

Trailer: Trillium 4500 1978
we used dark stain to make the doors match the rest of the doors in the trailer...this was after the plastic stuff was removed. looks better but you know the deal,,,it always could be better. good luck
KevinWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 11:06 AM   #9

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
I've wondered if white plexiglass would not do the trick?
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 10:42 PM   #10

Trailer: One 13 ft Scamp and One 13 ft Trillium and Two Trillium 4500
I replaced the ones in my Trillium with FRP panels (Fiberglas Reinforced Panels) same stuff used on bathroom walls in either beige or almond color can't remember which right now. Also used it to totally rebuild the cabinets bottom of them and all.... I'm in the construction business and have pieces left over all the time when we have a job that requires them. really worked out great never will scratch or rott. I need to know where you can find the little spring loaded stops on each of the end pieces......
Randy Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 04:26 PM   #11

Registry
Hi Randy

The spring loaded stops were found in the hardware department of a large building supply chain store. The enclosed picture might help to identify them. They are put into the top of double interior doors to keep them closed - just a little shorter than the originals so they do not always work at keeping the cabinet doors closed after long road trips. I later thought that something with strong mini magnets might work as well.
Attached Thumbnails
100_1437 (Small).jpg  
Old 11-29-2010, 04:50 PM   #12

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
Registry
The Uhauls have a rivet near the end of the bottom track and a corresponding notch near the bottom end of the panel. To open it you have to stick your finger in the thumb hole and lift it off the rivet shaft. Then it will slide freely. Or as freely as they slide.

Regards,

Matt
Old 11-29-2010, 05:16 PM   #13

Trailer: Fiber Stream 16 ft
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by marjie s. View Post
Hello,
We will be replacing the sliding wood doors that are on the front and rear upper cabinets in our Trill. 4500. They are original, very thin plywood that has delaminated.

Have any of you made new ones? If so, what did you make them out of? The same material? Something else? And did you do anything to make them slide better?

We will be replacing all cabinet doors eventually, but these are the worst as they can't even slide in their tracks anymore.

All help appreciated!

Marjie
Marjie,

We replaced the original sliders (thin plywood - 1/8 or 3/16") WITH 1/8" plexi-glass. You can have it cut to any size or shape and it is not too expensive. The really cool thing is that you can choose your colors - A whole rainbow is available.

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000490.JPG
Views:	28
Size:	26.0 KB
ID:	32352 Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000491.JPG
Views:	26
Size:	25.5 KB
ID:	32353
Attached Thumbnails
P1000712.JPG  

There is no such thing as an all black cat.
Tom U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 01:24 PM   #14

Name: Claire
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris McVeigh View Post
Hi Randy

The spring loaded stops were found in the hardware department of a large building supply chain store. The enclosed picture might help to identify them. They are put into the top of double interior doors to keep them closed - just a little shorter than the originals so they do not always work at keeping the cabinet doors closed after long road trips. I later thought that something with strong mini magnets might work as well.

Chris, do the stops scratch up the doors. We are trying to find a system to keep the doors shut during travel. Thanks
Old 05-19-2015, 07:17 PM   #15

Registry
The buttons are on the inside so if there are scratches they would not be seen. This is the same setup as original sliders had, I just made a new set. I find the bolt head for the knob can make a scratch if doors slide completely over each other.

Tags
trillium