Trillium-removing belly band & filling in. - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-03-2015, 06:11 PM   #1

Name: Hughe
Trailer: Trillium 76
British Columbia
Trillium-removing belly band & filling in.

I've just removed my bellyband and all of the metal pieces, now I'm about to fill in the gap in the Fiberglass. I know I've come across some topics where people have done this, but I can find them now. I'm looking for the best way to fill it. Bondo the gap & then grind down the gel coat & Fiberglass the outer part? This is what I'm thinking just curious if I'm on the right track. I've never fiberglassed before, any help is appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
hrose414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 03:48 AM   #2

Name: Jeff
Trailer: 17' Big Foot
British Columbia
Give industrial plastic and paints a call.
Jeff T H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 04:08 AM   #3

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by hrose414 View Post
I've just removed my bellyband and all of the metal pieces, now I'm about to fill in the gap in the Fiberglass. I know I've come across some topics where people have done this, but I can find them now. I'm looking for the best way to fill it. Bondo the gap & then grind down the gel coat & Fiberglass the outer part? This is what I'm thinking just curious if I'm on the right track. I've never fiberglassed before, any help is appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Hi, sounds like you're wanting to get away from the band all together, is that right? First off, working with FG isn't all that hard, but it is a bit messy. Getting rid of the band on the outside is one thing. But you say you've removed the band and all the metal pieces, would those be on the inside? Those are what hold the shells together as the band is just a trim item, nothing else. From what I remember of others doing the same thing you want to do, they glassed over the seam on the inside between the metal tabs so the shell didn't move from where it was, then removed them and glassed that part in. The outside takes some grinding and filling for a good paintable finish.
I'm sure you'll get the info you're asking for from the members that have done this same mod along with pics for you.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 06:05 AM   #4
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Lots of threads on this. Good luck with your project, Raz

Trillium belly band
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 09:47 AM   #5

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borrego Dave View Post
But you say you've removed the band and all the metal pieces, would those be on the inside? Those are what hold the shells together as the band is just a trim item, nothing else.
The metal tabs are only necessary when the trailer is made. The belly band and tabs are a system for lining up the top and bottom halves. Then they run a fibreglass bandage around the inside. Once this sets up, the belly band, and the tabs are no longer required.

I have done this job twice now. My approach may seem kinda radical, but I went for maximum strength. I think my approach will be less susceptible to cracks.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ead-58763.html
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ead-59580.html

I have not painted either of the trailers yet. Next summer I guess.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trillium, vin