Trillium Shadow Awning (tension springs) - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 02-19-2014, 08:40 PM   #15

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
These springs aren't uncommon...still much used in things like tensioned curtain rods, bathroom shelving etc.

Dunno what diameter you need; I'm guessing 3/4 O.D. or thereabouts. Footlong springs in that range are around three bucks each at this link

Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 02:30 PM   #16

Name: lyle
Trailer: Trillium
Michigan
Registry
These springs work by torsion or twisting, like wringing a dishrag. Each spring is about 3-4 feet long, half an inch in diameter and the wire making up the spring is about the same as coathanger wire. It's pretty substantial. Old fashioned hardware store are rare these days and no hardware store I've run across so far has a clue. The internet tells that they're out there, but will probably have to be custom made. No big deal to a company that makes springs. As mentioned, 8'm only going thru all this cause I want a roll-up awning and it would be cheaper to replace the springs even if they havevto be custom made than to spend close to a $K on a new roll-up.

Old 02-20-2014, 02:55 PM   #17

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1977, 1978 (2), 1300 - 1977, 1973, and a 1972
Alberta
Registry
A torsion spring? OK I am officially on a totally different page. If you follow the link in my last post in this thread, the springs in my awning are long coil springs.

Could you please explain how your springs work on your awning? What is being twisted?
Old 02-20-2014, 04:06 PM   #18

Registry
There are several kinds of "torsion springs" that I know of, none of which I can visualize as applicable for this purpose.

Two types are pictured below. The "long" one is used for things like garage doors and awning roller bars- tension is stored/applied when rolling. The other assortment is tensioned by sort of "folding"...

I thought the springs for this awning operate by simple compression- aren't they designed to simply snug up/take the slack out of the fabric?
Attached Thumbnails
$(KGrHqN,!hME9EJJpZSvBPVplCcIwg~~60_12.JPG  
Attached Images

Old 02-20-2014, 04:11 PM   #19

Name: bob
Trailer: 1984 u-haul ct13; 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
I've seen, and actually ordered and replaced, springs that work like that. They were for sash type windows, come in various lengths and diameters. The ones I bought were about 3/8" or 7/16" diameter. Can't remember the company right now. Might have found them by searching "window balances". I bought them online.
Old 02-20-2014, 04:27 PM   #20

Registry
Is this the awning under discussion here???

Old 02-20-2014, 06:47 PM   #21

Michigan
Registry
Yes, that is the awning pictured on my Trilium and the longer spring in the earlier post is similar to the one in my Shadow awning.
Old 02-20-2014, 07:13 PM   #22

Registry
Similar to this one?
That spring goes inside of a pulldown awning fabric roller tube and is tensioned when the awning rolls/unrolls. As you can see in the picture that spring is completely "untensioned"- that's why the coils rest against each other. As it winds, the coils spread apart and must be held in that tensioned position by means of a locking mechanism until released. Then the awning winds up...

I don't see how such a spring could work on your awning setup, which has no roller. Don't the springs go inside the arms/legs, and if so, how do you "wind" them...and once wound, how do they provide tension in the right direction?

Old 02-20-2014, 07:15 PM   #23

Name: Mike
Trailer: 1986 Bigfoot FT20
Michigan
That long spring is the same one used by Scamp.
Old 02-20-2014, 08:38 PM   #24

Michigan
Registry
Francesca: yes, that is how my awning works. As you pull the awning out of the housing (mounted on the roof) the awning unrolls from the roller tube and the spring(s) inside the roller tube becomes more and more tensioned (tighter). It is necessary to hold it against that tension untill the legs are attached and the guy line attached. Not the easiest thing to do one handed, but possible. When it's time to go just take the guy lines off and hang on while the spring tension winds the awning into the housing around a roller tube which is inside the housing. It's low-tech simplicity is one of the things that made it last nearly 40 years.
Old 02-20-2014, 10:31 PM   #25

Registry
Okay, then! I'm on board. Sounds like it works alot like a regular pulldown awning except for the rassling match that must have to go on while one holds it against the tension.

I'd love to see a video of how that works...

Meanwhile, here's something to consider:

If you ever have a mind to convert to a regular pulldown awning , the fabric you have can be used/mounted to that hardware. That's what I did- just bought the arms/rafters/roller tube and mounted an old awning to it.

Saved me over half the cost of a "new" awning, and I got to keep the old stripey look to boot.
Old 02-21-2014, 06:24 AM   #26

Michigan
Registry
It may come to getting a "new and improved" awning, now or the future. For the present though I'd like to keep the old awning. It is a bit of a hassle to put up and down, but I've kind of gotten used to it over the years and, as I've mentioned, low-tech simplicity does have it's advantages. The awning broke while on the road, but just by taking 3 screws out of the end cap I can roll/unroll the awning around the tube by hand. Slow and cumbersome for sure, but I still have an awning. Not sure that a newer one would be so accommodating. I am actually considering modifying one end cap such that I can manually crank the roller tube if needed. If I were home I'd be in the garage right now doing just that.
Old 02-21-2014, 03:41 PM   #27

Registry
Good news/bad news!

The awning below has the torsion spring inside the pullout tube, which looks like the same dimension as your fixed tube; and a replacement torsion spring is available for fifty bucks plus shipping.

But here's the bad news: It's in Australia...

Link to parts page
Attached Thumbnails
Eezi-awn-series-2000.png  
Old 02-21-2014, 07:07 PM   #28

Michigan
Registry
Thanks. I marked the site. Leave it to the Aussies to be different. I'm concerned about the whole Southern Hemisphere/Coriolis thing though. Which way do you turn a spring "down under"?

Tags
awning, trillium