Trillium Shadow Awning (tension springs) - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-17-2014, 08:40 PM   #1

Name: lyle
Trailer: Trillium
Michigan
Registry
Trillium Shadow Awning (tension springs)

It had to happen sooner or later. The tension springs in my Shadow Awning rusted and broke. I don't have a clue where to go for replacements. I'd like to keep the Shadow as it's been good for the past 30 some years. Anyone have advice? Thanks.
clyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 10:37 PM   #2

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
If it's just the springs, my local hardware store has drawers full, any type/size you might be looking for.

Note: I'm talkin' real hardware store, not a Home Depot etc. Something like a "True Value", if they have those where you live. Farm stores also often have this kind of hardware.
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 10:55 PM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Francesca has given you good advice. You MAY find what you need at a local "hardware" store... not one of those big box stores. Here in PDX, we go to WINKS!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 02:38 AM   #4

Michigan
Registry
Yep, just the springs. Other than that it was great. The company is no longer in business I understand, which is what tends to happen when one makes a quality(long life) product. I'll give the hardware store route a try. The springs are about 3+ feet long and I've never seen their like. I suppose they could be shorter and still function. Knowing this crowd, I had expected that someone would have a drawer full sitting around
Old 02-18-2014, 07:58 AM   #5

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Try ebay. I put in shadow awning springs and only got one possible result. Someone advertising used rv parts including awning springs. Another place to ask would be Fletch's or maybe it's Fletcher's Trailer Sales in central NY. Met him at a TCT rally, he has new old stock parts and deals in vintage trailers. He may have something or point you in the right direction. Do these springs act as compression or stretch type. I've had springs where the hook on the end broke, and just bent a loop out to make another hook. Have you tried a google search.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 09:57 AM   #6

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
There is an old thread that indicates the awning was made originally by Carefree. You may want to contact the OP on the thread to see where they ended up finding parts for their awning.

Carefree's "The Shadow Awning" FiberglassRV
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 11:43 AM   #7

Name: Ron
Trailer: Trillium 13 ft (green grape)
Ontario
Have you considered the possible use of BUNNGIE cords ? I have used them for the awning, works great in a windy situation.

Ron
RRJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 11:48 AM   #8

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Ron, the springs that Lyle is referring to are inside a telescoping pole. They push the pole to be longer, against the tension of the fabric of the awning. I can't think of how a bunngie could accomplish this.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 11:53 AM   #9

Name: Ron
Trailer: Trillium 13 ft (green grape)
Ontario
Oh I see now I would presume he was looking for something to keep tension on the awning to pull it out but not inside a bar. Looks like he would require a special spring for that one. If the spring is broken could the possibility of a wooden dowel inserted to compress the broken spring as to give it the required tension.
Ron
RRJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 12:01 PM   #10

Alberta
Registry
My awning actually came with two sets of springs, one larger then the other:
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ies-49152.html

I have not been able to figure out why two sets, but now I will consider the other set as spares.
Old 02-19-2014, 06:29 PM   #11

Michigan
Registry
I have been able to locate a few industrial spring supply companies, one in Detroit, another in Florida ( where I am at the present) that will custom make a tension spring. Cost? Not sure, but it's got to be less than a comparable replacement awning that I'm pretty sure wouldn't last 40 years like this one did. I think I'll take the hint and have 4 made. Wouldn't want to have to go through this again in another 40 years when I'm 106!!
Old 02-19-2014, 06:36 PM   #12

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by clyle View Post
I have been able to locate a few industrial spring supply companies, one in Detroit, another in Florida ( where I am at the present) that will custom make a tension spring. Cost? Not sure, but it's got to be less than a comparable replacement awning that I'm pretty sure wouldn't last 40 years like this one did. I think I'll take the hint and have 4 made. Wouldn't want to have to go through this again in another 40 years when I'm 106!!

Hummm before i spent the $$ on having them made I would at least attempt to go to a good old fashion Hardware store with the old one and see what they have that might work.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 07:14 PM   #13

New York
Have a dozen made to sell to others with the same awning. But here's another idea; we recently installed a Shademaker bag awning. They sell an optional spring loaded bar to use as a center rafter. This would have the type of spring in it that you need. I bought one with our awning, I think price was under $20. The original awning on our daughters '93 Jayco pop-up also has spring tension bars to hold the awning out. That may be a possible source.
Old 02-19-2014, 07:17 PM   #14

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
Check with scamp, there awnings have a long spring.
mszabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 08:40 PM   #15

Registry
These springs aren't uncommon...still much used in things like tensioned curtain rods, bathroom shelving etc.

Dunno what diameter you need; I'm guessing 3/4 O.D. or thereabouts. Footlong springs in that range are around three bucks each at this link
Old 02-20-2014, 02:30 PM   #16

Michigan
Registry
These springs work by torsion or twisting, like wringing a dishrag. Each spring is about 3-4 feet long, half an inch in diameter and the wire making up the spring is about the same as coathanger wire. It's pretty substantial. Old fashioned hardware store are rare these days and no hardware store I've run across so far has a clue. The internet tells that they're out there, but will probably have to be custom made. No big deal to a company that makes springs. As mentioned, 8'm only going thru all this cause I want a roll-up awning and it would be cheaper to replace the springs even if they havevto be custom made than to spend close to a $K on a new roll-up.
Old 02-20-2014, 02:55 PM   #17

Alberta
Registry
A torsion spring? OK I am officially on a totally different page. If you follow the link in my last post in this thread, the springs in my awning are long coil springs.

Could you please explain how your springs work on your awning? What is being twisted?
Old 02-20-2014, 04:06 PM   #18

Registry
There are several kinds of "torsion springs" that I know of, none of which I can visualize as applicable for this purpose.

Two types are pictured below. The "long" one is used for things like garage doors and awning roller bars- tension is stored/applied when rolling. The other assortment is tensioned by sort of "folding"...

I thought the springs for this awning operate by simple compression- aren't they designed to simply snug up/take the slack out of the fabric?
Attached Thumbnails
$(KGrHqN,!hME9EJJpZSvBPVplCcIwg~~60_12.JPG  
Attached Images

Old 02-20-2014, 04:11 PM   #19

New York
I've seen, and actually ordered and replaced, springs that work like that. They were for sash type windows, come in various lengths and diameters. The ones I bought were about 3/8" or 7/16" diameter. Can't remember the company right now. Might have found them by searching "window balances". I bought them online.
Old 02-20-2014, 04:27 PM   #20

Registry
Is this the awning under discussion here???

Tags
awning, trillium