Trillium Water Leak - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-18-2011, 04:27 AM   #1

Name: jean
Trailer: 17 ft bigfoot & 13ft boler
Ontario
Trillium Water Leak

We have a 4500 Trillium 1977. It is leaking down one seam inside about 15 inches away from the door on the front . The sprong lining is wet at the bottom which is the bottom bunk. It follows down to the bottom of trailer beside the porta potti on the fiberglass. This is our first trillium. Is this a bellyband problem or a rivit problem or both or something else. All help well be greatly appreciated. The reason we found this is because I painted the inside of fiberglass under bottom bunk. You could see water running down. Thanks Jean & Bud
jean hammond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 04:38 PM   #2
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Hello Jean and welcome to the forum. I am sorry to say that the belly band leak is a common issue with Trilliums. We have a "new" one that had leak issues and so I have some experience with your situation. Prior to repairing ours I spent a lot of time reading about belly band leaks on this forum. The short version is that when the two halves of the trailer are joined the belly band on the outside and a series of washers connected to the belly band by rivets on the inside hold things together until the halves are fiberglassed together (on the inside). Over the years water infiltrates though the rivet holes and causes the washers to rust. As they rust they expand causing breaks in the fiberglass and leaks. My suggestion is to use the search feature to see what others have done to deal with the issue. The search function allows for a google search, third option down as I recall. "Trillium bellyband" should give lots of good posts on the subject. Hopefully yours will be an easy fix. good luck, Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 08:28 PM   #3

Name: Reid
Trailer: 1979 Trillium 4500
Oregon
Registry
Leaks can be hard to find, and can originate in places you think aren't likely. Our trill13 had leaks in all four corners coming from the loose roof vent. Water ran between the fiberglass shell and the foam insulation. unfortunately we also had leaks around windows and belly band. Removed the belly band and glassed over the seam and resealed all the windows. In the great north wet you have to seal or reseal everything. good luck and don't use silicone.
Reid Larsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 03:09 AM   #4

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reid Larsen View Post
Leaks can be hard to find, and can originate in places you think aren't likely. Our trill13 had leaks in all four corners coming from the loose roof vent. Water ran between the fiberglass shell and the foam insulation. unfortunately we also had leaks around windows and belly band. Removed the belly band and glassed over the seam and resealed all the windows. In the great north wet you have to seal or reseal everything. good luck and don't use silicone.
I think there is silicone on the top of the bellyband so if we take it off what should we put there? Thankyou jean
Old 10-20-2011, 03:13 AM   #5

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Raz View Post
Hello Jean and welcome to the forum. I am sorry to say that the belly band leak is a common issue with Trilliums. We have a "new" one that had leak issues and so I have some experience with your situation. Prior to repairing ours I spent a lot of time reading about belly band leaks on this forum. The short version is that when the two halves of the trailer are joined the belly band on the outside and a series of washers connected to the belly band by rivets on the inside hold things together until the halves are fiberglassed together (on the inside). Over the years water infiltrates though the rivet holes and causes the washers to rust. As they rust they expand causing breaks in the fiberglass and leaks. My suggestion is to use the search feature to see what others have done to deal with the issue. The search function allows for a google search, third option down as I recall. "Trillium bellyband" should give lots of good posts on the subject. Hopefully yours will be an easy fix. good luck, Raz
Thankyou for your help and telling us about the search buttom. We will keep working on it but weather not good here right now.
Old 10-20-2011, 09:26 AM   #6

Name: Reid
Trailer: 1979 Trillium 4500
Oregon
Registry
Unfortunately the most reliable way is to clean off all the silicone and remove the belly band and seal the joint between the shell halves and where the steel fasteners have rusted. Randy Bishop has a thread detailing this procedure that would help you out if you find it. When the belly band has been removed you will also be able to verify where it is leaking or if the leak is occuring there. The silicone is an indicator that some one is convinced there is a leak at that point.
Reid Larsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 06:57 PM   #7

Trailer: Trillium 4500
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...and-46424.html
Scott H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 05:01 PM   #8

Trailer: 1981 Trillium 5500
Jean, is there a window on the same side? if so I would remove the window, check the frame as it may be rotten. this would be a much simpler fix. I have an 81 trillium 5500, and all my leaks so far hve been window frames or the roof vent.
Joe
Joe MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 07:12 PM   #9

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Raz View Post
Thankyou Jean & Bud
Old 10-21-2011, 07:19 PM   #10

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe MacDonald View Post
Jean, is there a window on the same side? if so I would remove the window, check the frame as it may be rotten. this would be a much simpler fix. I have an 81 trillium 5500, and all my leaks so far hve been window frames or the roof vent.
Joe
Thankyou A piece of the centre trim on the bellyband must have shrunk on the side the door hinges are. My husdand put a piece of plastic & some duck tape there. We had alot of rain this week & no water went in after he did this. We must fix it better than that can't leave duck tape there for ever. Getting cold so I think we will cover it up & wait until spring.
Old 10-21-2011, 07:23 PM   #11

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Duct tape glue turns to concrete! Honestly, it's nearly impossible to get off at that point. Cover the area with plastic and tape... even electricians tape will work and you can remove the glue with Goo Gone or the like.

Duct tape on molded fiberglass trailers is almost as bad as silicone! (don't ask me how I know )
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 07:24 PM   #12

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe MacDonald View Post
Joe
No window. The bellyband is shrunk on the side where the door hinges are. There is no centre piece there for about 3 inches. Have to fix it in the spring. Thankyou Jean & Bud
Old 10-21-2011, 07:32 PM   #13

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott H View Post
Thankyou very very much for the detail on the bellyband. It is getting cold & wet here. So we are going to trap it up and wait until spring to fix it. Thankyou again Jean & Bud Yours looks great. I hope we can do as good as yours is.
Old 10-21-2011, 07:34 PM   #14

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Duct tape glue turns to concrete! Honestly, it's nearly impossible to get off at that point. Cover the area with plastic and tape... even electricians tape will work and you can remove the glue with Goo Gone or the like.

Duct tape on molded fiberglass trailers is almost as bad as silicone! (don't ask me how I know )
Duck tape will be coming off We are going to tarp it & wait until spring.

Tags
trillium