Trillium website - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-15-2014, 04:30 PM   #21
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
Yeah- and now you'll each have one practically right next door, too! ...

My "Trilliums of The World" flowmap (see below) is w-a-a-a-y behind; last location entered was California, and that's two moves ago! I'm planning an update, to be undertaken as soon as I figure out where my Grandkids hid the crayons.
Don't forget Francesca there were 3 locations in California

Sacramento
Brea
Temecula

and the corporate headquarters

Trillium RV
1894 HWY 50 E Ste. 4-178
Carson City, NV 89701

As the official Trillium historian it's important to get these things right.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 06:50 PM   #22

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Raz View Post
Don't forget Francesca there were 3 locations in California

Sacramento
Brea
Temecula

and the corporate headquarters

Trillium RV
1894 HWY 50 E Ste. 4-178
Carson City, NV 89701

As the official Trillium historian it's important to get these things right.

I knew about the missing Arizona one...as for California, the multiples question was put before the Editorial Board at time of first publication (on this FGRV page). At that time it was decided that all California locations are to be represented by a single entry since the molds continued under the control of the same party. This for clarity-of-ownership-within-a-single-State reasons, plus let's face it the crayon box offers a limited number of color choices.

But now that you bring up other possible missing locations:

Wasn't the short-lived tiny toyhauler Trillium "Sportsman" made by an outfit called "Triple E", and not in fact put out by the original factory at all? Who WERE those people, and where do they fit into the story/map???? l know it was somewhere in Canada. I sure hope it's in a region that actually made it onto the map, because I don't have another piece of paper.....
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 11:51 PM   #23

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Love your map Francesca
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 10:46 AM   #24

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Wasn't the short-lived tiny toyhauler Trillium "Sportsman" made by an outfit called "Triple E", and not in fact put out by the original factory at all?
Where did you hear that Tripple E made the Sportsman?
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 12:20 PM   #25

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
Where did you hear that Tripple E made the Sportsman?
Only extrapolating from member Ryan Parson's report as to the language on the legal papers that came with his Sportsman, here quoting:

Quote:
It is registered as A 1969 triple e Sportsman.
Also, now that we're on the subject:

Wasn't the Trillium-based "Surfside" also produced by someone called "Triple E"?
Old 05-16-2014, 12:33 PM   #26

Alberta
Registry
It is my understanding that Trillium sued Triple E because their trailer was too similar to the trailers made by Trillium. Trillium lost that suit.

I assumed that the registration was wrong on Ryan Parson's Sportsman.

This is a question for Tom Young, (to bring this thread full circle).

I have put the question to Tom on his web site.
Old 05-16-2014, 12:38 PM   #27

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
Only extrapolating from member Ryan Parson's report as to the language on the legal papers that came with his Sportsman
1969 is probably not correct. If the Sportsman was based on the 4500 molds (extrapolating from the length and pictures in the Sportsman brochure in the document center), Dave Tilstons tracking of serial #'s indicates the 4500 may have started in 1976, more likely 1977. In this situation, we must consider that the "egg" came first.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...tml#post455829
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 12:48 PM   #28

Alberta
Registry
Here are the pictures from:
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ing-53395.html

Before Ryan purchased it.

And another one:
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...-fl-46733.html

I like the windows on the second one.

Judging by the Trillium Logo on the marketing material, I must assume that Triple E was not involved.

The logo on the picture is the 1977 and later version, the logo on the specs is the 1969 to 1976 version. Very confusing.
Attached Thumbnails
Sportsman 01.jpg   Sportsman 02.jpg  

Old 05-16-2014, 12:50 PM   #29

Registry
Quote:
.......snip.......
I assumed that the registration was wrong on Ryan Parson's Sportsman.
I read it differently, I guess...in my opinion, that's too weird a "mistake" to be a mistake

I can't think of any way the terms "Triple E" and "Sportsman" could have come together except on original papers.
Old 05-16-2014, 01:59 PM   #30

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
The logo on the picture is the 1977 and later version, the logo on the specs is the 1969 to 1976 version. Very confusing.
Actually, both logos are on the specs. New at the top, old at the bottom.

It could be they used old preprinted letterhead, actually letter bottom or bottom head in this case.

Quite possible to have stock after a number of years. I've still got some of the original 500 sheets of letterhead I bought for my business nearly 20 years ago. Not that I don't write letters, industry rules say I must have letterhead on site, yet I do everything on the computer, which is capable of printing exactly the same information, only cheaper.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 02:11 PM   #31

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
I read it differently, I guess...in my opinion, that's too weird a "mistake" to be a mistake

I can't think of any way the terms "Triple E" and "Sportsman" could have come together except on original papers.
Here is the thing about the trailer in question. There were/are unanswered questions on it. One of the previous owners of it who has owned a lot of fiberglass trailers over the years did attempt to research and clarify the above discrepancy one way or another before selling to the current owner. They did have the brochure posted as well as a floor plan and measurements and did talk with Trillium Calgary about the trailer and came away with the feeling it wasn't a Trillium built trailer and perhaps it was a look alike/fake built by Triple E.......

I know the current owner has since done further research on it and has also talked with the same Trillium folks in Calgary and come away with the opinion it was indeed a Trillium Sportsman..... so its anyones guess as to why the Triple E who also made fiberglass trailers in the same time frame name ended up on the registration papers.

Just sharing the above for clarification as to why some may be still confused as to who really built it.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 02:39 PM   #32

Alberta
Registry
All I know is I want one. Preferably with lots of windows like the second one in post #28.
Old 05-16-2014, 06:09 PM   #33

Registry
Quote:
All I know is I want one. Preferably with lots of windows like the second one in post #28.
Me, too....

My take on Trillium's initial failure was expansion beyond the original market- the Jubilee and the 5500 proved bad investments; too big for the small trailer lovers and too small for the big trailer lovers. The Sportsman, on the other hand, may just have been a little ahead of its time. It went down with the ship along with the rest of 'em, but is the one model that in my opinion should be resurrected.

Think of the potential market among those folks with $3,000.00 bicycles that simply can't be exposed to the elements!
Old 05-16-2014, 06:58 PM   #34

Alberta
Registry
Tom Young tells the story of the failure of Trillium. It goes kinda like this.

Trillium used credit to buy enough materials to make their trailers, then stock them for up to a year. In the early 80's interest rates went way up. The bank got nervous and called the loan. Trillium did not have the cash to pony up, so the bank stepped in and liquidated the assets. They sold all the inventory for full price. Proving that Trillium was not in trouble in the first place, but it was too late. They might still be in business today if the bank had been patient.
Old 05-16-2014, 09:13 PM   #35

Registry
Quote:
Tom Young tells the story of the failure of Trillium.
That's all very interesting, except...where does "Tom Young tell" this story?
Old 05-18-2014, 09:56 AM   #36
Raz

What I wonder is how many Trilliums did Tom Young actually sell in his various ventures? I know of 6 belonging to contributors here. Scamp and Casita have made many trailers and used ones are common. I'm guessing Escape has made around a thousand trailers and you see one for sale from time to time. Both Lil Snoozy and Parkliner have produced 100 to 200 trailers and several of each have turned up for sale. But I've yet to see a Tom Young Trillium for sale. Either not many have been sold or people love them so much they just won't part with them. Raz
Old 05-18-2014, 10:59 AM   #37

Registry
Quote:
What I wonder is how many Trilliums did Tom Young actually sell in his various ventures?
Good question!
I can't seem to find it at the moment, but I think someone here posted the number of Trilliums put out by Escape during their arrangement with Tom; other than that, it's anybody's guess.
Old 05-18-2014, 12:18 PM   #38

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
. But I've yet to see a Tom Young Trillium for sale. Either not many have been sold or people love them so much they just won't part with them. Raz
My uneducated guess is not that many which is why he seemed to have a hard time making a go of it changing sub contractors frequently and now being built by Great West Vans with no Trillium name on them.

It would also appear that of those that did sell in the US not everyone loved them:

New Unhappy Trillium Owner
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 04:19 AM   #39
Raz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
My uneducated guess is not that many which is why he seemed to have a hard time making a go of it changing sub contractors frequently and now being built by Great West Vans with no Trillium name on them.

It would also appear that of those that did sell in the US not everyone loved them:

New Unhappy Trillium Owner

Yeah, Mariam is one of the 6. I hope they fixed it for her. Of course that brings up the other question, who's taking care of the "best warranty in the industry"? Raz
Old 05-19-2014, 12:19 PM   #40

Registry
Quote:
Yeah, Mariam is one of the 6. I hope they fixed it for her. Of course that brings up the other question, who's taking care of the "best warranty in the industry"? Raz

Square one for warranty issues is point-of-purchase. Tom's the only molded trailer maker that uses dealers, and that's where Marian bought her trailer. She last reports that, here quoting:
Quote:
Originally Posted by marianb View Post
So far the dealer has been good about taking care of everything we've brought to his attention. I'm hoping to get the rest of this resolved so we can enjoy the trailer. marianb
This was in October; since she hasn't posted again, isn't it fair to presume she's received satisfaction? I'd also add that we don't know if she ever even contacted Tom Young; she only reports that she called "Team Trillium (Outback)" in Canada, and someone there gave her Tom's number "but indicated he would be very surprised if I got anywhere with this." source of quote

I'd point out at this juncture that we've never received any reports that Tom has ever similarly trashed Outback- or Escape, for that matter- despite the fact that he may well have plenty to say on the subject of his dealings with both outfits.

The other member that involved us in their warranty issues was you, Raz. Since yours was a factory purchase, and delivered across country by Tom himself, you naturally dealt with him. Due to distance from the factory your repairs were done locally to you. Either you or Maggie reported here several years ago that you had resolved all Trillium-related issues via cash settlement, amount so far undisclosed.

Does that answer the question as to how warranty issues are resolved?

Tags
trillium