Trimline vs Shademaker awnings - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-19-2008, 03:32 PM   #1

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp 1983
I have been searching for awnings and have found 2 different makers. One is Trimline and it looks smaller and more compact. The other is Shademaker and it looks a bit larger, but possibly more durrable in the long run. I have not had the opportunity to see either of these awnings first hand, so I thought I'd ask around here first to see if other people have used them and what kind of quality, set up time, and life span both of these have with regular use. So, who has an opinion about these awnings?
Attached Thumbnails
shademakerbagawningphoto.jpg  
Attached Images

April Wilcox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 05:07 PM   #2

Trailer: 1976 Trillium 13 ft
Hi April,

The interwest bag awnings a lot of us have bought are the Shademaker brand and I think there is enough positive feedback on those. Who sells Trimline? Is that the Dometic house brand?
Booker B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 06:00 PM   #3

The listing for the A & E Trimline...

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/...e-awning/20025d
Old 10-19-2008, 06:25 PM   #4

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT / 2004 GMC Safari
April,

Have you looked at these??

http://www.interwestsports.com/

That's what we have...and it's great. I read the review on the Trimline/Camping world where one writer said it takes them 5-10 minutes to set up...that's a long time!! With 2 people (I hold the main support while my taller husband lowers the legs and puts the extenion rods in) I know for certain it doesn't take 5 minute for us to put up our awning. I put it up once on my own, and while a pain in the rear, I did it - and I'm positive it didn't take me 10minutes.

Just throwing another option out there for you to look at...
Carolyn Patterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 09:02 AM   #5

Yes that is the Shademaker brand I am comparing with the trimline. It is starting to look obvious that more people have and use the Shademaker brand, it will probably be our first choice. We want something that will last a while and be easy to set up.
Old 12-15-2008, 12:22 PM   #6

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp / Nissan Titan
Just to keep everyone posted I ordered a Shademaker 8' Supreme bag awning from these folks

and in over a week have had no communication from them acknowledging the order or anything. Trying to run it down now. Only thing I've ever received so far is the PayPal receipt.

With my axle experience, I'm starting to worry....
2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 12:47 PM   #7

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Is that a wisp of smoke on the horizon?

Raya
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 12:57 PM   #8

Trailer: 1971 Astro (ie. Campster/Hunter I)
Send a message via MSN to Harry Young Send a message via Yahoo to Harry Young
Arrow

I am in the same situation and now have opened a case with PayPal trying to get my money back. I ordered 10/17.

Harry

Quote:
Just to keep everyone posted I ordered a Shademaker 8' Supreme bag awning from these folks

and in over a week have had no communication from them acknowledging the order or anything. Trying to run it down now. Only thing I've ever received so far is the PayPal receipt.

With my axle experience, I'm starting to worry....
Harry Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 01:08 PM   #9

Ouch, sorry to hear this! Communication with them was not great when I initially ordered. This is the email address I used on some followups and he was more responsive with it interwestsports[AT]yahoo.com
Old 12-15-2008, 01:14 PM   #10

I called the number on their website and just get answering machine, sent email to address on the site today. I've gone ahead and filed a dispute with paypal since we've heard from Harry and his order is two months old. Doesn't look good. I'll post results as they go.

I did put mine on the Visa through Paypal so they will credit it back if Paypal fails, but may be quite sometime before we can get the awning from somewhere else.

Maybe this dude will show up yet and deliver his orders.....
Old 12-15-2008, 01:19 PM   #11

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: All... For those of you who might be dissapointed... Vintage Trailer Supply sells a period appropriate rope and pole awning. I think these would make a spectacular addition to any fiberglass trailer. Requires an awning rail attached to the trailer tho!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 02:01 PM   #12

I got an immediate response to the dispute filed at Paypal from Craig at Interwest Sports:

"Not sure what they're talking about with someone else not recieving their item, that has never happened and never will. Your order was shipped on the 11th going UPS ground # with a scheduled delivery date of the 16th, these ship from our Chicago warehouse so it takes several days to recieve. Please after reviewing the UPS tracking info please close this dispute. Sorry about no responding we don't remember ever getting any e-mails or messages from you.

Craig"

At this point it seems they are OK to deal with at least in my case, but have a definite communication problem with their customers.

Harry,
Are you sure your order problem is with Interwest Sports? I checked the tracking info he put in the dispute response and it looks like the awning will be delivered tomorrow.
Old 12-15-2008, 02:22 PM   #13

Interwest sports doesn't ship the products - they get sent directly from the manufacturer to you.
Old 12-15-2008, 07:01 PM   #14

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft and Trillium 4500
I just installed the shademaker "deluxe" awning this past weekend. I also ordered and installed the "patio brackets".

On my last Scamp I had installed a Carefree of Colorado "Campout" awning. The new "Shademaker Deluxe" with the patio brackets is a bit nicer than the campout, and is half the price.

Highly recommended.
Jake Jacobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 07:28 PM   #15

Can't wait to install it.

Any tips on installation Jake?
Old 12-15-2008, 09:21 PM   #16

Hi Greg,

I put up some pics and info this summer when I did mine:
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/board/in...howtopic=31397

Edit: holy, having a hard time with links tonight =)
Old 12-15-2008, 09:45 PM   #17

Booker,

Those are very helpful.

Thanks...
Gotta pick up my awning rail this week and

Will be nice not to have to load, unload and setup that First Up anymore.
Old 12-15-2008, 10:49 PM   #18

Trailer: 1971 Astro (ie. Campster/Hunter I)
Send a message via MSN to Harry Young Send a message via Yahoo to Harry Young
Thumbs up

Was the email you used to get a reply back so fast the one you listed? Mine was thru another vendor for that brand, do you have a ShadeMaker email? Perhaps I can contact the drop shipper or the manufacturer and inform them their retailer is taking my money...I assumed it was the drop shipper/manufacturer who was ignoring me or back ordering it, thanks in advance for your reply.

Harry

Quote:
Can't wait to install it.

Any tips on installation Jake?
Harry Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 11:18 PM   #19

Quote:
Was the email you used to get a reply back so fast the one you listed? Mine was thru another vendor for that brand, do you have a ShadeMaker email? Perhaps I can contact the drop shipper or the manufacturer and inform them their retailer is taking my money...I assumed it was the drop shipper/manufacturer who was ignoring me or back ordering it, thanks in advance for your reply.

Harry
I thought you had bought it through Interwest, so I filed a dispute through Paypal and Interwest responded very quickly through the resolution center at Paypal. Interwest seems to be a reliable vendor although they do have a customer communication problem. If you bought it somewhere else then none of the information I have would be applicable.

You did indicate that you filed a Paypal case and they should resolve it for you if can't get the vendor to respond. If you know the name of the Vendor that you ordered through and they are not responding, you should post it here so we'll know to avoid them.
Old 12-16-2008, 01:55 AM   #20

This concerns me, since we have not ordered our awning yet. I did try to order a Sportshade through an online company, got a confirmation email, but the tracking info is blank, and they won't respond to my emails. I guess some of these websites are still active, but no longer being followed up on. I never received the charge on my credit card, so I have let this one go...