Trip aborted - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-22-2012, 10:39 AM   #1

Name: Dave
Trailer: Bigfoot
Newfoundland & Labrador
Trip aborted

In 2009-2010 we planned a four month trip to the south for the winter. Janet was diagnosed in November 2009 and we never did make it. She told me to go and this year I thought it was time. But.....

My trip to the sunny south has been cancelled. I attended Scout meetings in Ottawa, and then visited with family and friends in SW Ontario. Then I headed for Buffalo and points south. On a Wednesday afternoon, heading south towards Harrisburg PA I had a strange feeling settle over me. It was as if I had lost something or as if something had been take away. It was strange. I spent the night at the Flying J and as soon as I woke up the next morning [Thursday] the same feeling was all over me. It was like a blanket. Heavy, forboding, strange.
I had breakfast and headed south a little after 1000. I wanted to get to DC to see the "wall" and then out to the coast to follow the old highway south.
I stopped three times, to walk around to clear my head, meditate and try to get it together but the further south I drove, the worse I felt. After the third stop I turned around and headed back to the truck stop. I immediately felt a little better.
Stayed at the J for about 40 minutes, had a coffee, walked around. Then I headed out again, determined to get to Washington DC that day.
It did not happen. As soon as I saw the northbound ramp I hit the turn signal and headed north. I have had no regrets about doing so.
Within thirty minutes I was fine!! I was back in drive mode and checking maps, wondering how far I would travel that day. I took a motel in Salamanca NY and was back in Canada the next day.
Subsequent to all this, on the way home through NB, I stayed with a friend who has a gift. And I found through him, from my wife, that there were things left undone and I had to return home.
Yesterday, our 54th. Anniversary, I went to the cemetery to visit Janet and,
through an accepted ritual, released her spirit so that she free to move on in her new world. There is a sense of peace and comfort with me now so I am hoping that I have done things right and that Janet is away on another wonderous adventure. She told me she will be waiting for me and that I have to wait it out.
So, skeptics and believers, now you know why there have not been any messages or updates from Scouter Dave about his peregrinations to the sunny south.
I will try again but not this winter...
Merry CHRISTmas everyone. may you be surrounded with love and friendship and family. All the best for 2013 and perhaps we will meet down the trail. Scouter Dave.
Old 12-22-2012, 10:44 AM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Dave, thank you for sharing your story with the rest of us. Matters of the heart are compelling and lead us to discovery. May peace be with you through the rest of the year and into the next.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 10:50 AM   #3

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Every time I hit harrisburg, I too want to turn around and head north, I think it is because I have 2 ex-wifes in Maryland!!
Seriously though Dave, a some great thoughts on soul searching particularly this time of year with all that is happening right now, god bless!!!
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 11:25 AM   #4

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
You know the old adage about time....well it's the heart that's more powerful. If it's meant to be you'll make the trip one day.

My best to you Dave.
2019 Ram Longhorn
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 03:18 PM   #5

Trailer: Trillium
Registry
Scouter Dave, I wish you a Happy Christmas, surrounded by those things and, perhaps people that are familiar and comfortable to you. The sunny south is lovely but until your heart and soul is ready, home is the most comforting at Christmas time. I wish you a New Year full of new adventures. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.
Noreen Bradshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 03:36 PM   #6

Name: Lew
Trailer: none
Pennsylvania
God Bless and Merry CHRISTmas to you too, Scouter Dave. Thank you for sharing your heart.
Lew
BigLew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 04:06 PM   #7

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: Scouter Dave... I know the feeling of things left undone!!!
My mother survived three weeks with no food or water so I could face facts. My brother and I finally drove all night to get there to say goodbye. She passed away the following day.
You will feel so much better when you finally make that trip for her!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 04:53 PM   #8

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
Scouter Dave, I am very spiritual, and have had my share of experiences like this being guided along. Im very sorry for your loss, but eventually you will meet up. My first love passed about 19 years ago... and I know someday we will be together again.

deryk
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 06:14 PM   #9

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
I have had a couple of times like that too. Once I got about 120 miles and the foreboding kept increasing, so I turned around and returned home. Set out again a couple weeks later, no foreboding and no problems.

You may have avoided a bad accident or something. Keep on being led.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 07:34 PM   #10

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
dave----my heart goes out to you on losing janet. listening to your gut was exactly the right thing to do. i agree with mike---there is a definite reason you weren't meant to be heading any further south---perhaps an accident, perhaps something else---but going home was best. i just wish you had stopped in moncton for a visit on your way thru.
may you share your christmas surrounded by those who love you---on earth and in heaven.
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 11:46 PM   #11

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Glad you listened to your inner voice! When the time is right the open road will call you......... Happy Anniversary! I understand she's not there with you, but do believe she is watching over you and remembered your day.

I highly recommened a visit to the "Wall" so do try that trip again. My visit there was a amazing experience!
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 07:17 PM   #12

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
Dave, Makes perfect sense to me. You had to listen to your heart, because it knew what you need to do. Blessings to you on your travels.
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 06:50 AM   #13

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Dave, best wishes. Check out this article and the song on You Tube. Angels Among Us.
Eerie premonition led to song 'Angels Among Us,' recorded by Fort Payne's Alabama (Odd Travels) | al.com
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote