Trip planning: Daily distance - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-23-2018, 10:22 AM   #21

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
i wish

john I have done that I wish there was a like button! so easy on everything passing miles away like that!

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 10:26 AM   #22

Name: mark
Trailer: ,Retro by Riverside RV
California
Planning a trip now. Up to 24 days so far but should reach 30 or more easily. We try to stay at 5 hrs between stops per day. If we are going to spend more than one night at a stop I may push the road time a bit. I feel jipped if I pull in late, eat, sleep and leave next day. Much nicer to arrive mid afternoon, relax, walk the dog, etc.
All depends on when you have to arrive and IF you have a time schedule.

Mark
Old 02-23-2018, 10:45 AM   #23

Name: Gordon
Trailer: Scamp
Idaho
Registry
Keith,

I think most all of the replies here have been really good. Lots of experience.

I just returned from a 3,500 mi trip and learned a few rules for the 2018 me (pretty darn old version of the young VW bus driver).

Break the trip up into small hops, if you can.
Try to stay a few days in different spots for stress-free rest.
Avoid congested areas while driving whenever possible (Sometimes hard to do in California).
If you need to go a distance, get off the road every 2 hours or less (My dog helps me with this one).
When in a scenic place, Slow down and take it in (Sometimes hard to do in California).

When on the road, I love to have no one in front and no one behind, with no need for a watch.

Happy Trails,
Gordon
Gordon in Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 10:51 AM   #24

Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
We could have a contest to see who has towed their camper the greatest distance in one day....

I'll start:

640 miles. With rest stops, meals, gas stops and K-9 breaks it was about 11 1/2 hours.

I used to do that drive without a trailer 3-4 times every year when I was working, but then of course cursing speed was higher. Its too far to tow comfortably (and maybe even safely) so I hope I don't have to do that again.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 11:06 AM   #25

Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: 1978 Earlton Ontario boler
Ontario
Registry
We only go 90 kph bit less than 60 mph best gas mileage for us. Was thinking of bolerama min of 4 days drive 2300 km maybe would need a lot more driving time plus event time and return time. Might be too much 😐
Borden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 11:11 AM   #26

Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: 1978 Earlton Ontario boler
Ontario
Registry
1775 + 475 = 2250 the 1775 is as the crow fly's so not exactly sure driving distance. Live on the Bruce peninsula so would have a ferry ride
Old 02-23-2018, 11:34 AM   #27

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
North/South vs East/West

Depending on the time of year, and on which direction we're going:
Heading west? start early with the sun at your back, and stop early before the sun is low in the west. Eastbound? get up late and drive as long as there is light.
But, 200 - 300 mi/day is plenty at our old age. Speed? keep up with traffic, but if you are slower, be sure to signal your lane changes and turns well in advance.
Use extension mirrors to see what's behind.
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 12:08 PM   #28

Name: Bat Dude
Trailer: Escape
Michigan
We have generally maintained 65ish to 70 MPH or less if there is heavy wind.
The "rule of thumb" was to keep somewhat within the speed limit until... UNTIL.. we hit Texas a few years back 90MPH max Yikes....

The bonus of having Esme on board is we need to stop +/- every 2 - 2.5 hours for a dog walk. Does not hurt the driver or co-driver to take a break either ;-).

Generally limited to 200-250 miles per day except with the winter escape from Michigan when we need to pull as far south as we can go the first day, 'cause all RV parks are closed and Scamp is winterized until we are below the very hard freeze zone. The first day can easily be an 8-9 hour travel day. However like Norm et al., we prefer shorter travel days of max 6 hours including all the stops.
Old 02-23-2018, 12:24 PM   #29

Name: Mike
Trailer: Currently shopping
Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRED SMAILES View Post
We travel from BC to SoCal and back every year, about 1700 miles one way pulling our 13ft Boler with a minivan or similar.
We tend to travel around 60-65 and about 300 miles a day as well.
The exception being when we leave home, actually set the alarm, at the border when it opens and pound down 500 or so miles to get out of the snow!!
Depending on destination day to day I prefer interstates. I feel they are safer, no chance of a head on, the speeders always have a place to pass instead squeezing by on a 2 lane. But, gotta go through the redwoods on the 101 everytime!!
Pic somewhere in Or. on the coast hwy.
OMG Love your beautiful Comet. Is that you full time TV?
MikeSinMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 02:53 PM   #30

Name: Ed
Trailer: Casita 17 ft SD
Colorado
We plan around 400 miles per day. I reserve a camp site based on 400 miles. Depending on wind conditions I drive 60 miles per hour. We have to stop for gas every 150 to 200 miles based on wind direction. We always have a planned destination. If there is something we want to see like a museum, that will be factored into the miles traveled per day.
ehoepner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 03:14 PM   #31

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
We tend to drive closer to 55 ourselves for a number of reasons, most already mentioned by others. We used to think little of driving for seven or eight hours a day, but lately we are aiming at much less. For one thing, so often there are things along the way that if we have far to go Paul doesn't want to stop and "lose time." Much better to take it a lot easier.

And for our biggest trip ever, this coming May/June, we are definitely planning to stay at least two nights nearly everywhere we stay, and some longer.

BEST
Kai
Old 02-23-2018, 03:20 PM   #32

Trailer: Escape 17 ft Plan B
Registry
57 - 60 MPH, and an average of 150 miles per day. I try to arrive at the next campground by 1:00, and try to stay at least two days, leaving one to see the area. I do have the advantage that I'm retired, and generally take 6 - 8 month trips.
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 03:45 PM   #33

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
dang that's gone a long time our longest was 2 mos in Europe we were pretty well done by then but that was using a tent. 7 weeks flew by but we were getting pretty tired by then!

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 03:53 PM   #34

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
My wife will NOT drive when we are towing , so I am the only driver.
I hate driving, always have , always will.
I will drive for 2 or 3 days in a row for up to 8 hours per day and then we camp for 2 or 3 days.
If all I am going to do is drive for 8 or 10 hours a day , everyday for 2 or 3 weeks , I would rather stay home. If I have to drive a small cramped car or SUV then one day is my limit
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 06:40 PM   #35

Name: Brian
Trailer: '73 & '74 Hunter
Oklahoma
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith2000 View Post
What influences your choice to travel more or less per day?
Hi Keith. I get grouchy when I get tired, hungry, or when I'm trying to find a campsite in the dark. And when I get grouchy I can say things to my wife that I regret. That is what influences me to travel less per day.
Brian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 07:28 PM   #36

Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian G. View Post
Hi Keith. I get grouchy when I get tired, hungry, or when I'm trying to find a campsite in the dark. And when I get grouchy I can say things to my wife that I regret. .....
Boy have I got a shirt for you... LOL

https://www.redbubble.com/people/noi...e-camper-shirt

gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 09:36 PM   #37

Trailer: 13 ft Boler
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeSinMN View Post
OMG Love your beautiful Comet. Is that you full time TV?
Hey Mike, PM sent.
FRED SMAILES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 10:03 PM   #38

Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith2000 View Post
We have only taken a few shorter trips but planning a long trip for summer 2019. Based on our trips so far we have set a mileage limit of about 280 miles a day. We try to drive close to 60mph and that is less than 5 hours of drive time. Add in a good lunch stop and gas stop (walking the dogs at both) and we figure that puts us at about 6 or 7 hours of total travel time.

Do most people travel more or less each day when on a long trip?

What influences your choice to travel more or less per day?

Do you drive faster or slower than 60mph with your travel trailer? The truck can certainly handle faster and the 19 ft scamp is very stable back there, but I worry about the safety of going much faster.

Thanks,

Keith
Your speed is right on. We keep it about 58MPH since the trailer says to keep it at 60. Seems more relaxing and not so wore out at end of day. We usually do 300-450 depending if we are driving hard to get somewhere or just going place to place. We have done almost 600 but that was to get home quickly and not stopping for much. So go at your pace and enjoy the drive. We also like the back roads so that we don't have to contend with the trucks and other 80-90MPH traffic.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 11:09 PM   #39

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Many times I've towed 450 to 550 miles in a day while trying to reach a destination. Traveling mostly at 60-62 mph. There have been some exceptions, of course. And once I'm in prime camping territory, I'm likely to slow down a bit more and drive much less miles per day between campsites.

The farthest in 1 day was probably about 700 miles, but wow my butt was sore by the time I stopped!
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 10:43 AM   #40

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
I did a lot of traveling with my work, anything under 1K mi. was considered a day trip. A couple of interstate travel tips I used. When headed west stay on the west side of a city or town. (Or any direction applies.) You don't want to start a day in inbound rush hour traffic. When traveling east or west the rising or setting sun can be an issue. Avoid a rising or setting sun, leave late or stop early or stop and eat breakfast or dinner if having sun issues. In cities go with the flow of traffic in the center lane, avoiding speedsters in the left lane and merging traffic in the right lane. A lot of truckers use this method. When in 70-75 MPH traffic on the open road and wanting tow 65 MPH find a tractor trailer going that speed. Some of the company trailer trucks(TT) are governed at 65 MPH. Find a truck at your desired speed and stay a safe distance in front of him. Let him run interference for you from the following traffic. If following a TT, they can block your view. Always allow a safe stopping distance when around TT's
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote