trouble finding low toxin camper - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-04-2016, 10:22 PM   #15

Name: Margaret
Trailer: in the market
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
How about a cargo trailer then line it with materials you like and equip it with furnishings which are not offensive to you? you could even install HEPA filters on the the vents and run a roof fan to insure clean air.
Floyd, do you mean like a box truck, or a cargo trailer that is being sold as a camper, and that has been plumbed and wired?

I don't want to do plumbing and wiring.

I knew I could rely on the folks in this forum!!

Margaret

Old 07-04-2016, 10:33 PM   #16

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlsara View Post
Here is what the factory website says.

Our cabinets are built to last! There is absolutely NO particle/pressed board used in our construction what-so-ever. All of our cabinets are made of quality Red Oak and sealed with two coats of Valspar water resistant lacquer and two coats of Valspar water resistant sealer.

Notice it says Red Oak but does not say solid wood. I have taken some of mine apart to build my side dinette. The cabinet face under the couch and the face piece under the bed is 1/2 oak plywood. The sides of the upper cabinets are the same. The doors and the stiles and rails are solid oak. This is better construction than sawn lumber because the ply will not warp. However is does contain glue. Even if it were solid wood the planks would have to be glued together. I don't think you will find any campers that contain wood that doesn't have some glue.

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
I think you're right. There probably isn't a camper that doesn't contain plywood! So, my choices are . . . either sealing the whole thing with a non off gassing sealer, or, going out West . . . .

Old 07-04-2016, 10:44 PM   #17

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlsara View Post
The LiL Snoozy people will sell you a shell. Then you could have the interior built the way you want. I considered doing this. They priced it about half the price of the completed unit. My wife said if I did that we would never go camping. The build
would be fairly easy because the LS furniture is not required to stiffen the body as some others are.

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
Now that's an interesting idea!

What about plumbing and wiring?

Margaret
Old 07-05-2016, 01:10 AM   #18

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonely Road View Post
Hang on here a sec., bpfick and others:

Check out these links:

My Chemical-Free House: Trailers for the Chemically Sensitive

For this one, you have to scroll down to "trailers," which is the word Canadians use for "campers.

Here's another link:

Search for the Cure: My Healing Journey: Safe and mobile housing

I need to leave my house and my neighborhood because of toxicity and possibly mold. I need to find the "right" place to live. What else am I to do?

Off gassing solves a lot of problems, so I'm hoping I might be able to find an "egg" type camper out West somewhere.

Margaret
Kind of have to agree with bpfick but on a little different tack. My wife lived in NC for many years and mold and such was typical just because of the everyday weather and east coast location. Many people have moved from cold, wet and humid climates for asthma relief with many successes....I'm one too. Moving to a different climate may reduce your overall sensitivity. Just a thought, good luck to you.
Old 07-05-2016, 10:54 AM   #19

Name: Jeff
New York
low toxin camper

if you do a search you might find a NOS Camplite trailer which would be all aluminum...I've seen several 11F models...
Old 07-05-2016, 11:23 AM   #20

Name: Ed
Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2002 Casita Freedom Deluxe,The driveway is a Dark & Lonely Place now!
Missouri
trouble finding low toxin camper

Quote:
Floyd, do you mean like a box truck, or a cargo trailer that is being sold as a camper, and that has been plumbed and wired?

I don't want to do plumbing and wiring.

I knew I could rely on the folks in this forum!!

Margaret

I have just built a cargo trailer into an RV from scratch starting with the raw already built cargo trailer and RV'd it up the way I wanted exactly.

I have no idea about your threshold for the various materials and how you might tolerate certain items but I do know that you could sure build one from scratch exactly the way you want and need it to be.

When I mean you I mean either you or an experienced builder or manufacturer.

Many of the better companies will indeed custom build to order and roll one for you as you think you want and need.

Mine was Steel,Aluminum and Plywood when I got it and it would be pretty simple top replace the Plywood if needed or somehow seal it to your needs even.

You can also get an interior this way that has only what you need and nothing that you don't.

There are adhesives commonly used in these cargo rigs that you might not realize are used too but they can sure do it another way if that is what you want?

I like Pro Line Trailers in N.H. as an example of a smaller custom builder that would make it the way you want.
Look them up and give them a call,I have and was surprised and excited at the willingness they have to make it my way!

Listen to Floyd,He knows things!
Old 07-05-2016, 11:40 AM   #21

Name: Charlie
Trailer: 2014 Lil Snoozy
North Carolina
Registry
Quote:
Thank you for that, Charlsara,

How long did it take for the smell to wear off?

Do you like the camper?

Margaret

It took a couple of months for the smell to go away when it was closed for long periods. When it did smell we opened it up and it was OK after a few minutes.

We do love the camper. I have done several mods to make it "ours" but it is a fine camper from the factory.

If you want to PM me. We can let you look at it. We are in SW North Carolina so we may be fairly close to you.
Old 07-05-2016, 11:43 AM   #22

Name: Charlie
Trailer: 2014 Lil Snoozy
North Carolina
Registry
Quote:
Now that's an interesting idea!

What about plumbing and wiring?

Margaret
I believe they said it could be built to any stage you like.
Old 07-05-2016, 01:18 PM   #23

Name: kootenai girl
Trailer: 2004 Casita Liberty 17
British Columbia
I am pretty sensitive to the off gassing though nothing like you. We had a Scamp that was two years old and it was still off gassing majorly.
I don't envy your task as unless you are building from scratch I think unfortunately it will be like looking for the proverbial needle in the haystack.

With the carpet on the walls in the Casita I just cannot see that working at all, like you say maybe an older trailer with the full fiberglass inside.

Good luck, hope you find what you need.
Old 07-10-2016, 07:18 AM   #24

Name: Kathleen
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Washington
Registry
Quote:
Now we're getting somewhere! What about doors? Bathroom door?

Is the couch vinyl, and if so, can it be custom made into something else?

Did yours off gas much when new?

Sorry about all the questions.

Margaret
You can remove the bathroom door and replace it with a large towel on a solid metal tube rod, hung with screws and stainless washers. Use metal clip rings available at fabric stores and many other places. If you use a washed cotton "bath sheet" or beach towel, it's big enough, and there should be no toxicity. Also--probably lighter anyway, can be used to dry yourself (and will then just dry out while hanging), easily removed and washed, etc.

Also--marine grade ply sites we found in Seattle made a point of stating that they no longer use formaldehyde in their glue formulation. It's not necessarily an industry standard any more--easily checked at each source. We had our three sheets of 5/8" marine grade plywood drying in our living room for months over last winter before work on our 1973 amerigo (filled with mold and rot) had progressed to the point where we finally used them...I'm highly sensitive to mold and chemicals, and other than the smell of fresh wood, I experienced NO reactions to those three sheets.
Old 07-10-2016, 09:04 AM   #25

Name: Harvey
Trailer: '84 Scamp 13' & 2001 Casita 17' Spirit Deluxe
Arkansas
I can't really imagine what it must be like to have your problems Margaret. Our youngest great grandaughter was born with mild food allergies & her parents go to great lengths to accommodate her special needs, but nothing like what you have described. I've no recommendations for you, never having experienced what you describe. I do hope you're able to find a rig that will suit your requirements & are able to 'get on the road.' Best of luck to you!