Trouble with 12v receptacle - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-03-2018, 07:20 PM   #1

Name: Marge
Trailer: Casita
Oregon
Trouble with 12v receptacle

I've recently purchased 2 new 12v items (an inverter and a battery monitor) and am having a heck of a time getting them plugged into the receptacle at the back of the Casita. The inverter goes in far enough after a little elbow grease but I can't for the life of me get the monitor in far enough to work. It seems like the springy metal tabs on the side of the plug are too stiff. The older 12v items plug in just fine. We have a 2004 LD. Has anyone else noticed this? Any suggestions?

Someone suggesting lubing the metal tabs on the plug but that didn't work...
margeleept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 09:49 PM   #2
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
I've had a couple of items where the male plug seemed too large for the receptacle, and those were both made in China. Returned them for different brands and both worked fine.

Definitely one of the reasons I shop Amazon. Returns are simple!

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 09:54 PM   #3

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
That 12V receptacle and plug design is really marginal, it is amazing that we still see them used. And some of the plugs are really low quality. I was going to suggest some real grease in addition to the elbow grease, but you already tried. Is it hanging up on the contacts, or is the round body oversize? I would try to carefully modify (squeeze) the springy contacts with a pair of channel lock pliers.
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 10:06 PM   #4

Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul O. View Post
That 12V receptacle and plug design is really marginal, it is amazing that we still see them used. And some of the plugs are really low quality. I was going to suggest some real grease in addition to the elbow grease, but you already tried. Is it hanging up on the contacts, or is the round body oversize? I would try to carefully modify (squeeze) the springy contacts with a pair of channel lock pliers.
It seems to be the metal clips on the side. The plastic body goes in OK but when I get to the point where the clips have to depress they don't want to go. I can get them depressed some, but I don't think enough. Interesting about the low quality plug thought. My monitor is made in China (isn't everything? ) I think I'll return it and go to the other RV dealer in town.
Old 05-03-2018, 10:07 PM   #5

Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
I've had a couple of items where the male plug seemed too large for the receptacle, and those were both made in China. Returned them for different brands and both worked fine.

Definitely one of the reasons I shop Amazon. Returns are simple!
Gonna try returning it and getting another. Glad to hear that worked for you.
Old 05-04-2018, 08:34 AM   #6

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by margeleept View Post
...Interesting about the low quality plug thought. My monitor is made in China (isn't everything? ) I think I'll return it and go to the other RV dealer in town.
Its not the County so much as the design. Remember that these things were designed with a matching device that you would push in and then would heat up a resistance element enough that you could light a cigarette and give yourself cancer. They were never meant to be used for every 12 volt thing under the sun in vehicles, trailer and boats. A good percentage of them fall out from vibration or looseness so maybe the made yours a little larger for a tight fit. But as you found out, some don't fit at all.

Be sure the current / wattage of the inverter does not overload the outlet also. I have a small inverter with a cigarette style plug but the wattage can overload that, so it also comes with a higher current capable connection with clips to go directly on the battery.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 05:54 PM   #7

Name: Michael
Trailer: Trillium 4500
Colorado
I have found some which have twist and lock features which prevent them from falling out. They are worth looking for. Better yet is switching to a different plug and avoid many of the issues with these old style cigarette plugs.
ckayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 09:27 PM   #8

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
this is why the aux power panel I just installed in our Escape has...

the cigar outlet and USB charger are each on their own 15A fuse with 14ga wire, and the powerpoles in the middle are each on their own 30A fuse with 12 gauge wire. all very short runs since its right next to the power center...

the PP connectors are because a bunch of my DC accessories, such as a 400W portable inverter, are on PP30 connectors.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 03:22 AM   #9

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Nice sanitary wiring job John.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 12:27 PM   #10

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borrego Dave View Post
Nice sanitary wiring job John.
ahhh, its a little sloppy, I left a little too much wire on the 12 gauge reds, and probably should have taken the rest of the outer insulation off the marine 12/2... that and I forgot to get larger nylon cable straps, so I used tie-wraps

oh, and the HW store didn't have right angle spade lug connectors, which would have been neater than the straight-out-the-back ones.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 03:19 PM   #11

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Nothing wrong with any of it John. When I see wiring done up like that, that's out of sight, it tells me that any other work/mods done will be to the same level of care and pride.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 02:35 PM   #12

Name: Elliott
Trailer: Bigfoot
Everywhere
Fun fact on those 12V sockets: there's actually two sizes of them. The US standard is just a hair smaller. Close enough that it usually works, but not 100%
Defenestrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 06:18 PM   #13

Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defenestrator View Post
Fun fact on those 12V sockets: there's actually two sizes of them. The US standard is just a hair smaller. Close enough that it usually works, but not 100%
Wow, that "hair" made all the difference in our rig. It's working great now! Not sure if this is consistent across the board but the one that was too big has a threaded tip that can be removed, the one that fits is a single piece of plastic all the way to the end.