Trying to install new support bracket... - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-04-2014, 05:16 PM   #1

Name: Tim
Trailer: 1983 scamp 13
Florida
Trying to install new support bracket...

The support bracket just came in from scamp along with some of the other tired and worn looking pieces. The Scamp did not have a bracket when I bought it so I decided it would be a good addition to keep the roof from sagging, but alas I may be to late. I set it in place to check fit, and the new bracket holes are about 1/2-3/4" lower than the original holes in the sink cabinet. So I guess, unless Scamp has changed dimensions, the roof has sagged a bit which in another topic might explain the ill fitting door. My real question is should I try to raise the roof to match the old holes, or just re-drill them at their current height and let be. I don't want to stress the FG by jacking it up, but I could probably do it slowly distributing the stress and get it done. What do you think?
firebike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 07:34 PM   #2

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
What year is your trailer? They had a fire a few years ago and did change the moulds on the 13' a little bit. You could phone there toll free number and ask if the roof height was changed.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 07:35 PM   #3

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
There is such a thing as early and late Scamps. The molds were destroyed in a fire and the new one had a slightly higher roof.

I would contact Scamp, by phone, and ask their opinion as if you have the right part for your year Scamp.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 07:46 PM   #4

Name: Tim
Trailer: 1983 scamp 13
Florida
Thank-you guys. I now remember reading that. I was planning on calling Monday anyways. Thanks for the quick answer.
firebike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 07:47 PM   #5

Name: David
Trailer: Former 13’Scamp, now Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
Tim, my 1990 Deluxe Scamp also came without the sink support, and my roof did sag some in that area as one could see from the outside. The newer Scamps built after the fire are taller (by about 3" I think), so your 1/2-3/4" difference would lead me to believe that you have the correct support. I used a bottle jack sitting on the sink cabinet nearest the edge, placed a 2x4 longwise sandwiched between the jack and a plywood board on the ceiling. I jacked up the roof and installed the supports (it was very easy). I was originally worried that the fiberglass might have hardened in the sag position and that moving it might cause it to crack or split, but it moved very easily and without a problem. With the small amount of flex that you will need to install yours, you could probably just push up on the ceiling with your hand to gain the amount necessary to use the holes you described.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 10:44 PM   #6

Name: Ben
Trailer: In the Market
Montana
I posted a post about a month ago asking for the length of those supports in the late model Scamps. My 82 doesn't have those supports, and I would like to install something (perhaps not the metal posts, but something). Essentially, I would like to know some type of dimension (counter to cabinet, floor to roof, anything to get me in the ballpark).

As for the OP, I am going to second David's advice; it seems logical.
Str8781 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 08:19 AM   #7

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Str8781 View Post
Essentially, I would like to know some type of dimension (counter to cabinet, floor to roof, anything to get me in the ballpark).
On a 13' the closet should retain the original height on the curbside. It has less depth than the kitchen counter. I'd measure from the ceiling to the rear bench or dinette floor on the front right corner of the closet. Also measure the distance from the front of the closet to the side wall. Use those measurements on the streetside to compare.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote