Tucked in tighter door hinges - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-18-2008, 07:55 PM   #1

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via MSN to Coach George Jessup
Speaking of hinges.... has anyone ever replaced them with something that is fitted tighter to the body? since Mine will get offroad abuse..... the way they stick out concerns me.

Quote:
Hi: Coach... I think the hinges need to stick out to allow the door to swing/ ride up and down on the brass balls and to clear the belly band. Any trailers I have seen that use a flat/ flush hinge also have an area of flat fiberglass raised up on the trailer body where the hinges mount. I.M.H.O.
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
thanx Alf. A bulge of fibreglass might ride a branch or small rock outcropping over the hinge better than the OEM metal hinges will. Maybe I could make sliders?

Any other ideas out there?
Coach George Jessup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 07:02 AM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Speaking of hinges.... has anyone ever replaced them with something that is fitted tighter to the body? since Mine will get offroad abuse..... the way they stick out concerns me.
The hinges are built to allow the door to open fully and not bind against the belly band. The bulged shape of the trailer requires this type... or you'd never get the door more than about 1/4 open. If you notice, flat hinges are on flat doors.

Looking down the side of my trailer, the widest part is right at the tire. The door portion is actually inset a bit. If you're worried about the hinges... you'd really better worry about scrapping the side of the trailer about a foot on each side of the tire. That part sticks out further than the hinges.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 02:34 PM   #3

Quote:
....Looking down the side of my trailer, the widest part is right at the tire. The door portion is actually inset a bit. If you're worried about the hinges... you'd really better worry about scrapping the side of the trailer about a foot on each side of the tire. That part sticks out further than the hinges.
thanks Donna. When your off camber (one tire on a rock or log) its a bit different of a story cause that causes the upper half of the trailer to be leaning out toward the objects and the lower (wheel) would be further in from the object (Tree for example). Granted though I do "intend" to unhook and set up camp before I get into that ruff of turrain but sometimes you get caught by surpise.
Old 04-19-2008, 03:23 PM   #4

Trailer: 84 16 ft Scamp
Quote:
thanks Donna. When your off camber (one tire on a rock or log) its a bit different of a story cause that causes the upper half of the trailer to be leaning out toward the objects and the lower (wheel) would be further in from the object (Tree for example). Granted though I do "intend" to unhook and set up camp before I get into that ruff of turrain but sometimes you get caught by surpise.

I know what you mean, George. We also tend to get a bit crazy at times with our 16ft Scamp and diesel Jimmy. I've got several planks, a boat winch that mounts on the Jimmy's hitch and a couple of tall 4 wheeler jacks -- just in case.
Loren G. Hedahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 05:08 PM   #5

Quote:
I know what you mean, George. We also tend to get a bit crazy at times with our 16ft Scamp and diesel Jimmy. ...
Ahhhh... a good combo. Those ol' diesel Jimmy's are work horses that just prod along.

I fortunately/unfortunately will be able to get myself into much bigger pickles than a Jimmy though. My tow rig will be a dieselized Mercedes Unimog.