Tundra Towing - Fiberglass RV

Old 03-19-2006, 09:52 PM   #1

Trailer: 1988 19 ft Scamp
Oregon
Hi all,

We're considering upgrading our little Tacoma to a Access Cab 2WD Tundra for towing our 19' Scamp. My only reservation is the gas mileage. We currently average 18 mpg towing all around the Northwest, so gas prices really don't factor in too much in our current travel decisions .

I'd appreciate any feedback on Tundra gas mileage from those towing a fiberglass trailer with a Tundra. I just want to know what I can expect so I can understand the true cost of upgrading. Can you please include:

-Engine (V6 or V8)
-Transmission (manual or automatic)
-2WD or 4WD
-Type of trailer you tow
-Gas mileage when not towing
-Gas mileage when towing.

Thanks!
-Isaac

Old 03-20-2006, 09:34 AM   #2

Name: William
Trailer: 1999 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe ('Inn EggsIsle')
Florida
I can only tell you that you won't get the mileage NOT towing that your currently getting towing with your present truck. I pull a Casita 17'er with a 2001 Tundra V8, automatic 2 wd and at 60-65 mph on flat ground I get about 13. Not towing is usually 17-18 mpg. That is the only thing I don't like about the truck, otherwise its roomy, quiet, comfy, powerful, and a dream to drive. I've thought that if I replace it I'd go with the V6 auto. as most of my driving is not towing. Before this truck I had a 1993 T100 standard which had a smaller V6 in it than are in them now and it did a fine job of towing the 17'er as well. I must say that I haven't tried going through the rockies with either of these rigs, the Tundra will this summer. I'm a Toyota fan so changing brands is not an alternative.

Old 03-20-2006, 09:45 AM   #3

Name: Roger
Trailer: Y2K6 Born Free 32RQ on the Kodiak chassis, 1995 Coachmen 19' B-van and 1996 Precision 21' Sailboat
Iowa
I've towed my 16' Scamp with my '02 Tundra extracab 3.4l V6 four door 4WD and get about 15mpg. I get 17-18 mpg unladen.

I just towed a 19' Scamp fifth wheel home from Spokane and averaged 15 mpg towing with an '01 Chevy S10 4 door 4WD with the 4.3l V6.

Roger
Old 03-20-2006, 02:10 PM   #4

Trailer: Outfitter Caribou 6.5 ft Truck Camper
Hi,

With our Tundra --2003 4WD Access cab-V8, automatic, about the best we ever did pulling our 17 foot Casita was around 13MPH. Definitely less crossing the Rockys and other mountains. We also kept the speed down.

We agree with Bill---we love our Tundra, except for the gas milage.

Diane
Old 03-20-2006, 03:48 PM   #5

Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Alberta
Another option is to upgrade the "little Tacoma" to a "big Tacoma" - the new model is larger than in earlier years, and may be a valid alternative to going all the way to a Tundra (which is mostly a difference in body width). The V6 appears to be the same engine in either truck. I don't have any experience with either, so back to those who do...
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 06:54 PM   #6

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
I was consistently geting 13-14 MPG with my Escalade at 55-65 MPH. I decided that something had to be done when gas prices started to rise last summer.

I now use a 'ProFlash Hand Held Programmer' to reprogram the Escalade ECM to a 'Towing Mode' before going on each trip. We averaged 16.7 MPG on our October 2005 trip to OH, GA, and back home and got as high as 18.5 MPG when following my brother-in-law from McComb, OH to Atlanta, GA at 55 MPH.

The programmed 'Tow Mode' adds about 75 ft-lbs of torque and 35 HP at 2000 RPM on regular gasoline.

I figure I saved about $90 on that 2600 mile trip. Only 3 more trips (about 8000 miles) and I will have the programmer paid for.

OH yes, I also reprogram the ECM to the 'Economy Mode' while in town which save me additional money.
CD Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 07:30 PM   #7

Name: Roger
Trailer: Y2K6 Born Free 32RQ on the Kodiak chassis, 1995 Coachmen 19' B-van and 1996 Precision 21' Sailboat
Iowa
FWIW, I don't think that the 3.4l is an option in the new Tundras any more. I had to search long and hard to find a 3.4l in a 4WD truck. But I just love it.

Roger
Old 03-20-2006, 08:23 PM   #8

Name: William
Trailer: 1999 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe ('Inn EggsIsle')
Florida
Roger H According to this site they are still in, but didn't it in 4wd http://www.edmunds.com

OOOOPPPS you may be right, my bad, this lists the 4.0 which should be a good one
Old 03-20-2006, 10:17 PM   #9

Trailer: Chalet
Send a message via Yahoo to Lynn Musgrave
Hi there.........we HAd a 2006 Tundra V8 2wd for 4 months.....we bought it to tow with. We traded it back to Toyata......for a car.....because the best milage we ever got in that time was 17 to 18mpg Not Towing plus it would drop into overdrive going over high bridges. Where we live is very flat( Texas Gulf Coast) We did tow a small A-Liner to Little Rock,Ar and got about 11 to 13 mpg So No I would not buy another Tundra V8. We towed a 30 foot stick built last year with our 2001 GMC 3/4 ton to Little Rock and averaged 17 to 18 mpg with it the whole trip. Both trips was over the same road in some small mountains. If we but another Toyata truck it will be the Tacoma. We thought the 4 door Texas addition Tundra would be a good all around everyday or TV for us. The ride was great and it does look good.....but for us it would Not work as a TV. When we get our *Egg* we want something with good milage as a TV and right now our GMC seems to be the best for that. Even if it is a little bit of over kill we Think the mileage with the egg will be about the same as when we are not towing.........not towing the GMC gets 18 to 19 on trips( that is highway miles)

Anyway I did not do a good job of explaining all this,but bottom line is Tundra V8 2wd will not get good milage while towing or city driving......IMHP anyway....Lynn M
Old 03-21-2006, 11:35 AM   #10

Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Alberta
Quote:
FWIW, I don't think that the 3.4l is an option in the new Tundras any more. I had to search long and hard to find a 3.4l in a 4WD truck...
In the Tundra brochure and website specs for Canada, the 4.0L V6 is not available with four wheel drive, but you can get it only in a two-wheel-drive regular cab. The 3.4 L is no longer listed for Toyota trucks.

In the U.S. specs, it appears that the V6 is also available with an Access (extended) Cab, but again only two-wheel-drive.

By the way, there is also a Payload/Towing Guide on the Toyota Canada website, which may be of interest.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 01:14 PM   #11

Oregon
Thank you all for your replies. My wife and I talked and I think that we are going to use the Tacoma for 1 more year and just carefully watch our weight. We're having a hard time swallowing the cost of the low gas mileage.

Lynn, was your GMC a standard cab or an extra-cab? What engine and transmission combination do you have?
Old 03-22-2006, 08:23 AM   #12

Trailer: 1999 Casita 16 ft Spirit Deluxe
Isaac,

I think you have the right idea. My 2001 Tacoma, V6, 4X4, Extra Cab got mileage of 17.4 on average when towing. I may start towing with the Tacoma again this year, when gas hits $3. I sure am glad that I didn't trade it. The Tundra is a pleasure to drive and has on rare occasions delivered the 21 mpg on the sticker but it drops to 15 when towing.
Old 03-23-2006, 08:18 PM   #13

Trailer: Chalet
Send a message via Yahoo to Lynn Musgrave
Isaac M ask ........Lynn, was your GMC a standard cab or an extra-cab? What engine and transmission combination do you have?

Sorry I am so slow with responding to your question.......I am not real good with this kind of info ,so I wanted to be sure I had it right before I answered your qusetion.....we still have our 2001 GMC Siaria 2500 Automatic transmission.....it is a 6 Lt V8....has the factory Tow Package (and we added the Trailer Brake package) it is rated to tow 12,500lbs. Oh I almost forgot it has the extended cab......the one with the small 3 doors......and the long bed. We carry Kayaks and Tent camping type stuff( yes,we do kayak camping on rivers)in it so we needed the long bed.

when we bought the Tundra we thought it would be a good run around town & do short trips to the rivers etc.......it was a beautiful truck and we like the looks and ride.....but being retired, well we needed better gas milage and the other thing was it just did not preform for towing the way we thought it would. The GMC has been great but it is to big for everyday driving ......for Towing nothing can do a better job,after all that is what it was made for.
Old 03-28-2006, 11:13 PM   #14

Oregon
Lynn,

Thank you very much for the information on your truck. That gas mileage seems very good for a full size truck towing. I may look at going that route when we do decide to upgrade (although it is tough to go away from a Toyota).

Happy Scamping!
-Isaac