TV antenna suggestions - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-31-2011, 09:33 AM   #1

Trailer: 1999 Scamp 13 ft and 2003 Bigfoot 17 ft (15B17CB)
TV antenna suggestions

The embedded TV antenna on our Bigfoot was apparently damaged last Winter when the shed it was stored in partially collapsed. During the 2010 season we had no reception, so we are now looking for a 12 volt amplified replacement. We would probably deploy it as needed (don't really watch much) and try to use it inside or snake a wire out a window. There are some on E-bay in the $25.00 range, but looking for specific model suggestions or means of deployment and attachment. Thanks for your thoughts. Tony
Tony Nowak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 05:43 PM   #2

Trailer: Eggcamper 17 ft Electric
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Nowak View Post
The embedded TV antenna on our Bigfoot was apparently damaged last Winter when the shed it was stored in partially collapsed. During the 2010 season we had no reception, so we are now looking for a 12 volt amplified replacement. We would probably deploy it as needed (don't really watch much) and try to use it inside or snake a wire out a window. There are some on E-bay in the $25.00 range, but looking for specific model suggestions or means of deployment and attachment. Thanks for your thoughts. Tony
Tony, I mounted a winegard amplified (18v) antenna on a telescoping painter's pole (from Home Depot), then used U-bolts to fasten the painter's pole to the spare tire mount on my EggCamper. There's a photo on the trailer registry. It's simple to raise and lower and spins for directional aiming. I leave it on the pole even when traveling. I connect the lead to a feed-through, just below the license plate. I wish now that I'd looked around more for a 12v amplified antenna, but most times we have 120 vac hookup, so it's not a problem.
Ron
Ron F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 07:03 PM   #3

Trailer: 16 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Like Ron i had an antenna that was mounted onto a telescopic pole and mounted to my spare tire bracket..... This one was a Phillips amplified wing type antenna I got in Wal Mart that ran on ac current or 12 volt dc current..... just buy an extra cigarette type plug with the proper end and your done or use ac when you have hookups....... this antenna worked extremely well but i did mount a permanent winegard sensor IV thru the roof for a more permanent setup.....
Pictures not the greatest but it's all i have.
Joe
Attached Thumbnails
63.JPG  
Joe Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 03:27 PM   #4

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Eggcamper / Chevy S-10
Registry
Question: I see some of the antenna masts don't raise the antenna much higher than it would be if placed near the ceiling inside the camper, does being inside a fiberglass camper cut down on an antenna effectiveness?
Ray N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 03:34 PM   #5

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray N View Post
Question: I see some of the antenna masts don't raise the antenna much higher than it would be if placed near the ceiling inside the camper, does being inside a fiberglass camper cut down on an antenna effectiveness?
Ray,
Our EggCampers use a foil faced insulation that I believe will reduce the reception when using an antenna inside.
Ron
Old 02-02-2011, 01:16 PM   #6

Trailer: Eggcamper
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron F View Post
Tony, I mounted a winegard amplified (18v) antenna on a telescoping painter's pole (from Home Depot), then used U-bolts to fasten the painter's pole to the spare tire mount on my EggCamper. There's a photo on the trailer registry. It's simple to raise and lower and spins for directional aiming. I leave it on the pole even when traveling. I connect the lead to a feed-through, just below the license plate. I wish now that I'd looked around more for a 12v amplified antenna, but most times we have 120 vac hookup, so it's not a problem.
Ron
Hi Ron -

Thanks for your idea about mounting the TV antenna - I like the concept of using 'extending pole' attached to the spare tire bracket!

While checking out your pics I also noticed that you have installed a 'hatch access' on the curb side. I have been also thinking of doing the same - what is the source & size for the door you used? Does it 'seal' out the elements well? What do you store in there? Did you also put one street-side rear? Did it fit the egg's curvature OK? Don't suppose you have any close-up photos with the hatch open and latch, etc.? - - - Boy! I sure have asked a lot of questions ;-)

Thanks!

Bill
Old 02-02-2011, 03:55 PM   #7

Registry
Bill,
I must confess to stealing this idea from PeterH. I'll send you the link to his instructions in a PM. I can't seem to get the link to work correctly in this reply.

What is the source & size for the door you used?

I got these from a marine store advertised on eBay. If you search for locking access hatches, you'll probably find them. I had a computer glitch over the summer, so I've lost the info on the specific dealer.
Size: 13" x 24" and I also ordered the 13" x 17" for the street side, however I need to move the water heater before I can install that one.

Does it 'seal' out the elements well?
Yes, no problem.

What do you store in there?
A variety of things, e.g., screen room, folding camp kitchen table, a couple of folding (canvas) camp chairs, propane stove, and some other small junk.

Did you also put one street-side rear?
Not yet, and not sure that I will. I've got all of the room that I really needed on the curb side.

Did it fit the egg's curvature OK?
I could have perhaps moved it a bit more toward the front to make it perfectly flat against the side. As it is, the I filled with 3M 4200 at the lower rear edge to accommodate the slight curvature at the lower rear. It's never leaked.

Don't suppose you have any close-up photos with the hatch open and latch, etc.?

I don't have any photos that would show more than the one on the registry, but Peter's link has some excellent photos.

The install went similar to Peter's, however instead of two L-shaped pieces of 1/2" plywood for backing, I made the backing as a single frame (still 1/2" plywood and I didn't glue it to the inside surface. I used the template from the cardboard box that it ships in. I also used 1/4-20 stainless machine screws with washers and nylock nuts on the inside instead of wood screws. For bonding/caulk on the outside I used 3M 4200. If I do it again, I'll probably use butyl putty tape. It's easier to remove later. The other difference is that I mounted the hatch with the hinge at the bottom. I didn't want to figure out how to hold it open while accessing junk inside.

Ron
Old 02-03-2011, 07:36 AM   #8

Trailer: Eggcamper
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron F View Post
[FONT=Comic Sans MS]Bill,

I got these from a marine store advertised on eBay. If you search for locking access hatches, you'll probably find them. I had a computer glitch over the summer, so I've lost the info on the specific dealer.
Size: 13" x 24" and I also ordered the 13" x 17" for the street side...

Ron
Ron -

Thanks a bunch! Looks like I have one more fun item to put on my Egg 'to do' list ;-)

Bill
Old 02-03-2011, 09:03 AM   #9

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Eggcamper / Chevy S-10
Registry
I've thought about adding a hatch there myself, but so far we've never really needed to store anything in those hard to reach areas. A couple of Rubbermaid bins shoved under the bed have been all the extra storage we've needed for our relatively short trips - (six nights has been our longest so far). Maybe if we take that month-long trip to Utah that we've been thinking about I'll finally justify adding the hatch, it looks like a really nice project.
Ray N is offline   Reply With Quote