TV in the Scamp - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 12-24-2013, 04:01 PM   #15

Name: Ed
Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2002 Casita Freedom Deluxe,The driveway is a Dark & Lonely Place now!
Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Thompson View Post
I think the OP would be far better off just to go out and buy a new flat screen TV. A new one, the same size or slightly larger would be very inexpensive, didital and most likely a direct replacement (fitting and connection-wise) to his current non-digital model. Easy peasy.
Honestly those original Sharps are very nice sets!

Some people don't care enough to spend money on an upgrade and there is nothing wrong with that set that a $25.00 converter won't fix.

As an aside I think it is the same exact model that Floyd has.

Old 12-24-2013, 04:02 PM   #16

Name: Ed
Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2002 Casita Freedom Deluxe,The driveway is a Dark & Lonely Place now!
Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
After research on HD antennas I mainly learned that the only difference between them and old analogue antennas is that the marketing department has printed HDTV in large letters on the box.
Some are better than others, but that has nothing to do with the HD signal.
True That!

There is really no such thing as an HD antenna even if Winegard says so.

Old 12-24-2013, 05:00 PM   #17

Name: Dave
Trailer: Scamp 16 Custom Deluxe
Washington
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Harris View Post
Honestly those original Sharps are very nice sets!

Some people don't care enough to spend money on an upgrade and there is nothing wrong with that set that a $25.00 converter won't fix.

As an aside I think it is the same exact model that Floyd has.
True, but you need to power the converter box. Not a problem when you have shore power. And then there's the small problem of finding the space for the converter.
Old 12-24-2013, 06:45 PM   #18

Name: Chuck
Trailer: Scamp 16 Deluxe
Washington
Yeah, the TV worked when I patched in the converter supplied by my home cable company, and did NOT work without it. So I'm guessing one is required between the antenna and the TV. The notion of buying a new TV that already is digital intrigued me for a second - problem is, I'm 66 years old, and I've never spent a nickel on a TV in my life (at least until it came attached to my Scamp), and I'm not sure I want to break that record. But I could go for a converter box if it makes what I already have work.

What's the smallest, simplest, least expensive 12 volt box you'd suggest?

Thanks for helping me through this,

-cg
beardrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 11:29 PM   #19

Name: Randy
Trailer: 1980Trillium 1300
Ontario
...One thing I know of about TV/radio wave perception: In the last few decades, there are immense improvements about radio/tv components...such as from vacuum tubes to transistors then IC circuitries with micro electronic modules with less power consumption and digital transmission, also saving spaces...there is little change in term of antennas, and the way one receiver receiving signals from transmitters. So, here you go, do your own research in term of antennas' type installations and the optimum cases for your own favorites....I believe most of them would have instructions, just follow it.......
Old 12-25-2013, 09:29 PM   #20

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by beardrum View Post
The notion of buying a new TV that already is digital intrigued me for a second - problem is, I'm 66 years old, and I've never spent a nickel on a TV in my life (at least until it came attached to my Scamp), and I'm not sure I want to break that record.
I paid $79.99 for a 15" LCD TV that came with 12V and 120V cords ( not much more than the cost of a digital/analogue converter and a 12V cord ).

But, if you don't want to do that; why not enlarge one of your favorite photographs and paste it to the screen?
Old 12-25-2013, 10:40 PM   #21

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Thompson View Post
True, but you need to power the converter box. Not a problem when you have shore power. And then there's the small problem of finding the space for the converter.
When not on shorepower, I use a tru-sine inverter to power my sharp flatscreen tv, dvd player,converter box and antenna booster... altogether they consume so little battery that I don't give it a second thought. In fact I'm not sure that the inverter's fan and line loss aren't half the power consumption.
Old 12-25-2013, 10:56 PM   #22

Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
I paid $79.99 for a 15" LCD TV that came with 12V and 120V cords ( not much more than the cost of a digital/analogue converter and a 12V cord ).

But, if you don't want to do that; why not enlarge one of your favorite photographs and paste it to the screen?

Thanks Glenn, best idea yet. But I'm curious, what TV did you get?

And by the way, Happy Holidays, Everybody!

-cg
Old 12-25-2013, 11:16 PM   #23

British Columbia
Bought a 13" Seiki 16:9 LED, 1360 pixel x 768 pixel, and runs on AC and DC cords. Comes with an HDMI cable and a remote and cost $79.99 at London Drugs. ( plus $20 environment fee and taxes here in BC ).
Picture and sound are better than the Insignia that the kid took to university.
I have an equally cheap 7" DVD player that I can plug into the TV for movies, but I'm sure a combo unit isn't that much more money.

It's out in the trailer so I'll have to drag it out from under the bed to see if it is 13" or 15".
Old 12-26-2013, 12:58 AM   #24

Washington
[QUOTE=
It's out in the trailer so I'll have to drag it out from under the bed to see if it is 13" or 15".[/QUOTE]

No worries, Glenn, that's good enough. Thanks for your help!

-cg
Old 01-04-2014, 11:21 PM   #25

Washington
Would it be possible to keep the TV I have, and just replace the Winegard antenna with one that does the necessary analog to digital conversion? That might be a dumb question, but I'm totally at sea with this TV stuff.

Thanks!

-c
Old 01-05-2014, 12:02 AM   #26

British Columbia
The antenna receives radio/TV waves. It doesn't care if they are analogue or digital.
So, you can keep your antenna, but you either need a converter to change the signal from digital to analogue before it enters the old analogue TV, or you need a digital TV.
Given advances in televisions, I would buy a new TV rather than buying the converter, taking up space and adding wires. Not sure, but the converter probably needs a power source as does the TV.
Old 01-05-2014, 12:07 AM   #27

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by beardrum View Post
Would it be possible to keep the TV I have, and just replace the Winegard antenna with one that does the necessary analog to digital conversion? That might be a dumb question, but I'm totally at sea with this TV stuff.

Thanks!

-c
To clarify your question: you don't want to convert from analogue to digital. You would need an antenna to convert digital to analogue, and I doubt there is any market for such a device.
Old 01-05-2014, 07:09 AM   #28

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
I don't know of any antenna that does that (that doesn't mean it doesn't exist), what you might be able to use with your current antenna is a converter box. Amazon.com: Zinwell ZAT-970A Digital to Analog TV Converter Box (for Antenna Use): Electronics

But I agree with Glenn. Small flat-screen TVs are really inexpensive and a much lighter weight now than ever before. By time you buy everything you need to use what you currently have, you'd be money ahead to just replace the TV.

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp