TV mounted - vibration - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-08-2013, 09:13 AM   #15

Name: LKG907
Trailer: Casita 17'SD
Washington
24"

My 24" TV has 2 years on it in this position.
Attached Thumbnails
24TV.JPG  

Old 08-08-2013, 09:55 AM   #16

Name: J Mac
Trailer: 17b Escape
British Columbia
Hey Eddie Longest or rabbit where do you get those TV mounts?

Old 08-08-2013, 11:10 AM   #17

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
I traded a very nice lap steel and amp for reasonable money and this TV mount. I have seen this particular model from an internet distributor but cannot find. if Eddie recalls, neither of us will have to spend the time searching.

jack
Old 08-08-2013, 11:42 AM   #18

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
I have bought almost all of the TV mounts I have needed, both for home and RV use, for the past 5 years from:

www.mycablemart.com

They have a huge selection, good prices and excellent customer service.
Old 08-08-2013, 12:05 PM   #19

Name: Jason
Trailer: Egg Camper
Tennessee
We have a 19" from Wal-Mart Black Friday sale and a mount from BJ's. The bolt for the awning is in the right place to attache a strap to keep tv against the wall during driving. The mount allows us to watch it in bed or swing it around to watch it from the dinette.

The reading I did on why 12v sets cost more indicated the electronics inside the tv are susceptible to vibration and moisture. I would worry more about the tv failing from vibration or climate extremes inside the egg. And knowing my luck, if I put the set on the bed for travel, I would find it on the floor when we got to our destination.

Decent prep on mounting and not going too big I think are key points that seem to keep coming up.

Jason
Old 08-08-2013, 12:16 PM   #20

California
No matter what the input voltage, most TV's run at between 3 and 18 volts on the circuit cards. Who ever came up with that claim for why they might cost more probably grabs the wrong end of a soldering iron at least twice a day.

12VDC (only) sets cost more simply because they are built in limited numbers and they are never on sale.

However, there are several 120VAC Sets that use a 250-100VAC to 12VDC volt universal power supply (aka Power Brick) and they work fine on 12 VDC.

There are certain Vizeo and Haire(?) models so equipped, but they can be hard to find. Look at the pics on line, if they don't have an attached cord and have the power supply brickin the cord, they MAY be 12 VDC. Check the specs for the power supply itself to find out.....
Old 08-08-2013, 01:21 PM   #21

Name: asdf
Trailer: asdf
Alabama
One thing I think is useful is to refrain from opinions on why you don't want / need to ... yada etc.

I don't watch tv, at all.

I am a database analyst / programmer and it is a daily occurrence that I am remoting into a computer across the world from me. I use my screen as a computer terminal. Under normal circumstances I sit at a table with the 24" screen 2 feet from my face. In that case the tiny fonts for a computer are legible. Now put that 24" on the wall 4 feet away as I sit at the table and suddenly that 24" TV is not so useful.

Simple physics dictate that as the distance increases, the size has to get bigger to maintain the same ratio.

For ME, a 19 "TV" is as useless as... (interject your favorite phrase here). So I really do have to discover the issues with dealing with a larger screen.

Thanks folks, your issues with dealing with large screens is what I need to discover.
Old 08-08-2013, 01:36 PM   #22

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwcolby54 View Post
Has anyone permanently mounted a smallish TV, perhaps 32-37 inch in the rv then towed it while it is mounted? I am wondering about the vibrations killing the display.

Any experience here?
This works fine. been in position for 9 years.
It does have a firm locking mount, which swings 180 degrees....

Of course it really is a "smallish" TV in a "smallish" travel trailer.( about right maybe?)
32"-37" would be a rather a "huge-ish" TV for a Scamp!
Attached Thumbnails
Pic015.JPG  
Old 08-08-2013, 02:51 PM   #23

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwcolby54 View Post
One thing I think is useful is to refrain from opinions on why you don't want / need to ... yada etc.

I don't watch tv, at all.

I am a database analyst / programmer and it is a daily occurrence that I am remoting into a computer across the world from me. I use my screen as a computer terminal. Under normal circumstances I sit at a table with the 24" screen 2 feet from my face. In that case the tiny fonts for a computer are legible. Now put that 24" on the wall 4 feet away as I sit at the table and suddenly that 24" TV is not so useful.

Simple physics dictate that as the distance increases, the size has to get bigger to maintain the same ratio.

For ME, a 19 "TV" is as useless as... (interject your favorite phrase here). So I really do have to discover the issues with dealing with a larger screen.

Thanks folks, your issues with dealing with large screens is what I need to discover.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Your original post asked about mounting a "Smallish TV" not what in anyones eyes is an oversize computer monitor. As I don't think that I have ever seen that large a tv/monitor in any FGRV, help might be slow in arriving. And, if you feel a need to tell us that you don't appreciate answers that are guesses as to what you really mean in your posts, it might get even slower.....

BTW: Thank You for the lesson in simple physics, I am sure that no one else could have even guessed that nugget, especially simple ol' me, what with only an 18th grade education.
Old 08-08-2013, 03:42 PM   #24

Alabama
My original post said:

"Has anyone permanently mounted a smallish TV, perhaps 32-37 inch in the rv then towed it while it is mounted?"

I just see a LOT of posts on a LOT of subjects where the OP asks a question only to be informed that XYZ having nothing whatsoever to do with his question.

I do appreciate that other posters "hijack" threads and have their own unique POV but still.

I asked about a specific size range - 32 to 37 inches is small today. I had to go to the very end of the line in Sams club to even find a 32" tv.

I understand that TVs are made smaller, I just can't use nor do I care about such models, nor how they fare. Look back through this thread and count how many of them answered my question? So I come ask a question and have to wade through how much stuff only to find nothing that even comes close to helping me.

I asked a similar question about fiberglass propane tanks and got a TON of "well steel is really better because..." responses. All about how you can swap out steel tanks, and how they got one that leaked, how deal with rusting tanks and yada yada.

Ya know what, that may be true for those posters but that isn't what I asked. That thread is now umpteen pages long and way off in the weeds, having nothing to do with fiberglass propane tanks. I have unsubscribed from the thread because it is useless to me.

This one threatens to be a repeat.

Dealing with a "small" tv in excess of 32" is a very specific requirement. THAT is what I need information on, not about every little mounting for the really cool 16 all in one someone found at XYZ box store.

just sayin...

I did get some responses discussing the stress of that size TV on the fiberglass wall, and mounting strategies to deal with such. THAT is a great response and much appreciated.

I'm NOT trying to be rude, but I need information about specific issues. It is very true that this size of TV is going to be rare, making it all the more likely for useful responses to get lost in the noise of the useless (to me) stuff.

From all of the responses for smaller TVs, I think this is a great place to split the thread and have a thread just about "how to mount a (truly) small tv".

Thanks,

PS, I really love FGRV.com and have spent countless hours reading all kinds of really great stuff here. This is a great community! I am new to FGRVs, in fact I am just about to go pick up mine, purchased a month ago and waiting for me 800 miles away.
Old 08-08-2013, 03:46 PM   #25

Name: jim
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
John,
You asked a question as a new owner attempting something that we as experienced owners have already tried and may have failed, that is why we are recommending something else. If you are adamant on the 32-37" size, then you may be the trailblazer and please post pictures of your install, perhaps others may follow.
Old 08-08-2013, 03:56 PM   #26

Alabama
I will be doing that! The response "where will you mount it" caused me to think!

Unfortunately unless I set up on the table like I do at the house, figuring it out is a must. And the cables and stuff to "set it up" are a PITA so I intend to figure it out.

I intend to live in the TT making it even more necessary to get it dealt with. I live in my computer, so setting it up every time I want to use it simply won't work. It needs to be mounted and wired in, probably with a wireless keyboard / mouse and the notebook permanently mounted in a cupboard close to the TV.

We shall see.
Old 08-08-2013, 04:15 PM   #27

Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
There is a member here, named Adrian who mounted a fairly large computer/tv screen inside his Casita, posted under modifications, Im trying to find the pictures.
Old 08-08-2013, 04:22 PM   #28

Pennsylvania
Registry
found it TX | Casita 17' Spirit Deluxe-sold-

another one with pictures http://www.blog.gonebush.net/2011/04...io-pc-mod.html
please note this is a 22" screen