TV mounted - vibration - Page 5 - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-16-2013, 08:08 PM   #57
Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Originally Posted by jwcolby54 View Post
The problem here is that there is an optimum viewing distance for any monitor size / resolution / font size. Take a 32" monitor and view it from 2' away and it is almost unusable, just too big! Take a 19" screen and push it back to the back edge of the desk and it is almost unusable, too small.

On my computer table I use two 23" monitors, about 30" from my face. They are 1920 x 1080 pixels native and they are just "perfect" for me, at that distance. I use one application on each monitor, and I wish I had 4 of them. Two "will do".

Now take those same monitors, mount them on the wall (or in the corner as you see in the pictures in these RVs. Sit on the couch on the opposite of the table and tell me what you see when used as a computer monitor? Teeny tiny little print that is unreadable from that distance. They may be fine as a "TV" viewing a movie but that is not what I need.

Now... with a browser (as I discovered awhile back) hit Ctl+ and the screen magically zooms bigger. Cool. Except you get less lines on the screen but a usable as a "kludge", when browsing the web. However that doesn't work with anything else. So when I am writing C# code in visual studio... or using SSMS to create a query, it is back to useless.

Now, replace that 23" monitor with a 32" TV, hanging on the wall just exactly where the 23" was a few minutes ago. What do you see?

Probably darned close to what you would with the 23" monitor 30" from my face. Perfect.

Further to this discussion, WHY I need it simply isn't the point. All of that explanation didn't help in the slightest in determining how to mount it or how to relieve the stress or how much stress to expect, or how much current it will need or anything else that is the actual point here.

The point is that I need to hang a 32" (or thereabouts) TV on one wall of the TT. I may in fact mount two of them if I can figure out how. It will almost certainly cover the window on that side and... I don't care.<_<

Expanding the thread to discuss how the electronics of a TV will interface to a computer is most relevant (to me).

Hey, I just measured my 32" LCD TV. It measures about 18" top to bottom. How about hanging it sideways on the cabinet with a hanger designed to jackknife down into position.
Or even easier, hinge it the opposite of mine and swing it out of the way against the wall when not in use. It may obscure part of a window.
You could mount it to a piano hinge above a window or to the ceiling and swing it down when needed.
The how is simple.... a nice piece of oak or a length of square tubing, firmly attached through the hull then attach the hinge and attachment plate to that.

floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 09:15 PM   #58
Name: asdf
Trailer: asdf
After a bit of research I purchased a Samsung 32UE5000 from Sears where they had it in stock. $350 after tax. Computer monitors this size are in the $1000 range.

For those who care, Google TV 4:4:4 which will bring you to an arcane discussion of signal processing to reduce bandwidth which also wreaks havoc on sharpness when used as a computer display. It seems you need (prefer) a 4:4:4 mode which is an end run around this signal processing specifically for use as a computer monitor.

In any event this Samsung provides this mode and so I bought it. It is a gorgeous display as a monitor.

A 32" TV is large but not as large as you might think. 1080P provides me with as high as 1920 x 1080 resolution which is way north of the native resolution of my laptop, but is the exact native resolution of my 23" desktop monitor. The NVidia chipset and Windows 7 just picked it up and recognized it. I did have to "pair" the HDMI 1 input with the PC input type to allow selecting all of the various available resolutions in the PC end. Prior to doing that it showed only my native laptop resolution (1400x900 IIRC).

Leaned against the wall and then sitting with my back against the opposite wall of my scamp, 1920x1080 is still to small to be generally usable. However the resolution steps down nicely and I am currently using 1600 x 900 which is just about right for text resolution in text editors and the like.

I don't have any video ATM so I can't discuss using the set as a TV though most reviewers love the set. As I mentioned, I am not much for TV in general.

And I have not figured out mounting yet but the set is very light, just under 13 lbs so hanging it shouldn't cause issues.

According to the tag on the back the power consumption is 52 W and a "typical" rating of 33 watts (whatever typical might mean). I have a Killowatt meter which I will use to measure actual power consumption one of these days.

I have only had it on for an hour so take it with a grain of salt but so far I am impressed. It appears to fit my requirements of light, fairly low power, big enough to hang on the wall, and nice sharp text and graphics when used with a computer when viewed from across the trailer.

jwcolby54 is offline   Reply With Quote