TV recommendation? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-24-2012, 05:36 PM   #21

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dylanear View Post
I've pretty much given up finding a 12V TV that meets my demanding specs. Few seem to have modern connection ports (DVI/HDMI) and none that I've found have true HD (1920x1080 native) LCD panels. Most top out around 1366x768, they may say "HD ready" or 1080P capable. But they just will take that signal and resize it to the lower resolution of the panel's native resolution.

Many people can't tell the difference, many may see it and not care. But for the picky home theater types out there, 110V may be the only option at this point.

So glad to hear they are not bad energy hogs with a decent inverter.
I haven't seen anyone mention or imply a "Decent" inverter is in use?
I will bet only cheaper ones are?
I can say from experience that the better the inverter the better the image quality though as you offer hardly anyone else can discern this.
The sets already have inverters built-in to power the screen illumination so that is not where the difference really is but the rest of the set and the scaling circuits do seem to like better,cleaner power for sure.

I even have a small 200w Sine Wave model that makes a difference I can see.

Also there are almost no better quality 12vdc sets on the market and I bet it is because there is no market for them?
Cheaper seems to be the driving market factor not better.

Ed
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 06:22 PM   #22

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
As I posted earlier, it's hard to beat less than $200 for a 24" screen with 1080P, a DVD player, and all the inputs you can dream of and, you don't need an inverter, just connect to the 12 volt power and go. Less than 3 amps for everything. And in a small screen, any slight loss of resolution isn't apparent, not for $200 anyway This does expire tonight I think:
Haier 24
Ours will go in our Lil' Bigfoot when it arrives,

BTW: The above post about downloading didn't mention any free downloading was going on. We also pay <$8 a month and download a ton from netflix.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 08:13 PM   #23

Trailer: Casita
Registry
Be patient. If you can wait for Black Friday sales you will likely find a 19" near that size for under $100. I got a couple last year for $99 so I wouldn't be surprised some would be cheaper this year.
Gene Masse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 01:54 PM   #24

Name: Dennis
Trailer: Casita 17SD
Texas
I found a 20 inch LED TV for less than $200 at Sam's Club. It's supposed to only use 23 watts. If you read the the specs, the power consumption is usually listed in the fine print.

For boon-docking, a LED model is probably going to have the lowest power consumption. But some LED's use less power than others.
colliewagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 02:20 PM   #25

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
If you are shopping for flat screens in a store, just look at tle back of the set. It's mandatory that power consumpion be stated on the back of the set, either on a sticker or molded into the case.

The now sold out, $170, 24' Haier, with it's dvd player running, pulls less than 35 watts and by running direct on 12 VDC, without the 120VAC power supply brick (or inverter losses), draws even less.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 03:18 PM   #26

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
We have never run our TVs on a sine wave inverter though I know owners of them swear by them. However I will say I can see no difference in picture quality between our 'cheap' cigarette lighter inverters and running the TV on the standard AC line, the primary sine wave source.

The only TV interference we've ever seen is from one of the computer's chargers and has nothing to do with inverters.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 09:09 PM   #27

Name: Brian
Trailer: 2015 Scamp 13 Front Washroom, Van Camper
New Brunswick
Phillips PET749, 7.5 inch tv/dvd hdtv digital tuner.. Small but easy to put away
Briantb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 11:04 PM   #28

Trailer: Escape 17 ft 2006 / 2005 Honda Pilot
Registry
Naxa 19" 12V/AC from Amazon (I think it was a little over $200). Built in DVD which remembers your place if you stop/start later.
Anne H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 04:39 AM   #29

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
we don;t watch much tv, but we carry our laptop to watch movies on dvd, and be able to hook up the internet, and work on our travel pictures , and play a game or two.
i think they have a tv tuner thing for computers too?