TV recommendation? - Fiberglass RV

Old 09-23-2012, 11:48 PM   #1

Name: Robert and Laura
Trailer: September 2012: New proud owners of a 2010 Casita SD
California
TV recommendation?

We are currently trying to decide on the purchase of a 19" TV for our new Casita Spirit Deluxe. Can anyone recommend a brand, model, type? Should we be looking for a 120v/12v unit? We will be doing both, some sites with electric and some "boondocking". Any advice on what kind of TV some folks have purchased, are you satisfied with it, and where did you buy it? We are trying to keep this whole decision as uncomplicated as possible. (techno nerd)
Thanks
Rob

Old 09-24-2012, 05:34 AM   #2

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
We purchased a 19" Vizio from Walmarts, well under $200. It's AC only We use a 100 watt cigarette lighter Inverter when we want to run it off 12 volts.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 06:01 AM   #3

Name: Bonnie and Claude
Trailer: N/A
Ontario
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
We purchased a 19" Vizio from Walmarts, well under $200. It's AC only We use a 100 watt cigarette lighter Inverter when we want to run it off 12 volts.
Norm, I have a cigarette lighter inverter but never thought it would run the television (use it mainly to charge my smart phone). Thanks for the information!
Old 09-24-2012, 07:02 AM   #4

Name: Ed
Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2002 Casita Freedom Deluxe,The driveway is a Dark & Lonely Place now!
Missouri
TVs today are really more alike than different so it does not matter a lot which way you go in the end.

It is ideal to find a 12vdc model but it is also not easy to find them and as Norm says you can run most small sets now from a small inverter and not waste too much power.

I also have a Vizio but I can not stand mine. It is the 2nd one I have had and they are just terrible sets. You wouldn't know unless you also have other sets around to compare to but I sell TV's and play with different models every day.

I would buy a Samsung for the lower price range plain and simple. They are not much more money if at all but are much better sets.

Better yet I would buy a true Japanese set like Toshiba,Hitachi,Panasonic and it will say on the back of the set where it is made.

You really do get what you pay for but I understand paying as little as possible too,I just do not like the cheap,cheap sets.

A few weeks ago I was in a metal building doing radio work for a Charity bike ride on a Sunday.
The guy next to me had a Vizio and I had a Samsung next to each other on the desk. We both scanned for channels and were connected to the same antenna I had set up. The Samsung tuned twice as many channels and I was able to watch Football with no delay.
The Vizio did not "see" the channel I was on by itself but when he manually entered it it would tune it,most of the time?
I had never experienced this before just assuming that the set would tune a channel if it was there to tune so this was a real eye opener for me and as I said I do this every day!

This may not seem a big deal? But when camping I rarely know which channels I should be getting and this is the difference between watching the game or not and that is all that matters to me.

So it is a little complicated and requires a little education to insure a decent choice like almost everything else in our technical world these days.

How is that for uncomplicated?

Ed
Old 09-24-2012, 08:09 AM   #5
Administrator

Name: Mary
Trailer: Escape 21; (formerly Casita LD 17 & 16)
Texas
Registry
Hi, Ed. Is the Samsung an LED-LCD? The LED technology was the reason we went with Visio (after a very short lived 42" LCD Zenith at the house). At the time, Visio and Toshiba were the only ones offering the LED-LCD, and our loyalty to Toshiba soured over a poor experience with one of their laptops. (Admittedly the laptop issues had nothing to do with the display quality.)
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 09:01 AM   #6

Name: Ed
Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2002 Casita Freedom Deluxe,The driveway is a Dark & Lonely Place now!
Missouri
Mary

All the sets are LCD and the LED only refers to the method that they use to backlight the LCD panels.

Until recently the only method was with CFL fluorescent tubes on either side of the screen and now they are all using LEDs scattered behind the LCD panel to do the backlight.

I imagine these days it will be tough to still find a non-led model but to my eye they are mostly interchangeable.

I actually think most LED models have an unnatural blue cast to the picture as most LEDs lean toward the blue color range but I promise that the ultimate picture quality is not the first thing they are shooting for by switching to all LED backlight.

In all the years I have been working with LCDs I have yet to see 2 CFL backlights go out.

Your Mileage may Vary as they say.

My opinion is "If it Ain't Broke,Don't Fix it" but they seldom ask my opinion it seems?

Ed
Old 09-24-2012, 09:19 AM   #7

Name: Kevin K
Trailer: 17' Casita
Mpls,Minnesota
Registry
Insignia™ - 19" Class / LED / 720p / 60Hz / HDTV

Model: NS-19E320A13

Watch for a sale for $99.00.

Insignia™ - 19" Class / LED / 720p / 60Hz / HDTV - NS-19E320A13
Old 09-24-2012, 10:50 AM   #8

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie and Claude View Post
Norm, I have a cigarette lighter inverter but never thought it would run the television (use it mainly to charge my smart phone). Thanks for the information!
The 12v plug ins all have different wattage so you need to make sure the one you have is enough to handle the TV's requirements.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 11:19 AM   #9

Name: gary
Trailer: 16' 1998 Scamp
Minnesota
Registry
Best TV Recommendation? None! As in "Unplug Yourself!" If you must, get a decent notebook computer and pull stuff down off the internets. Works for DVD's too.
Old 09-24-2012, 11:22 AM   #10

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
First, see my earlier post today for a 24" Haier on WOOT.COM that will also work on 12VDC. I just bought one. BTW: It also has a built in DVD player and lots of inputs, including computer.

There "WAS" a VIZIO 19" that was ac/dc compatible and I have bought 2 of them and had excellent service out of both, but it has been out of production for at least a year.
If you see a VIZIO 19". and the last two letters of the model number is MV, that means that it has an ac to 12vdc adapter and will work on almost anything from 12VDC to 240 AC. The 22" VIZIO MV version needs 18VDC and won't work on battery alone. VA at the end of a Vizio model number means 120 VAC only.

Just yesterday, at a Big Lots store in Riverside, CA, I saw an Off-brand APEX (?) 19" for about $130 that will also work on 12 VDC.

Always look at the back, if it has a round, plug in connector, connected to a power supply, it may work on battery. Check the back of the case near the plug in, it will tell you the required voltage.

In most cases you will have to make your own connecting cord.
Old 09-24-2012, 11:28 AM   #11

Minnesota
Registry
That's a good price on the Hair. Woot's a great place to find stuff.
Old 09-24-2012, 01:09 PM   #12

Name: Bonnie and Claude
Trailer: N/A
Ontario
Registry
Thanks Carol. Will check the wattage on ours next time I go to the underground garage (we're apartment dwellers now).

Gary, we generally are unplugged aside from keeping in touch with the grandkids via Skype but when it dismal, blustery or rainy days we tend to watch reruns of old TV shows or old movies and my 15" notebook monitor isn't quite as good as the 19" LCD screen for us.
Old 09-24-2012, 01:56 PM   #13

Minnesota
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie and Claude View Post
Gary, we generally are unplugged aside from keeping in touch with the grandkids via Skype but when it dismal, blustery or rainy days we tend to watch reruns of old TV shows or old movies and my 15" notebook monitor isn't quite as good as the 19" LCD screen for us.
What you need to do is collect (as I do!) old time radio shows! Use the TV monitor in your head. VERY low voltage <grin>!
Old 09-24-2012, 02:12 PM   #14

Name: Dylan
Trailer: 2001 Scamp 13'
British Columbia
I have a 32" Sony LCD that is LED back lit. You really do want LED back lighting, way more power efficient, lighter weight and more durable than florescent back lighting.

I'd trade my Sony for something directly 12V powered, but I'd still want bigger than 24" and full 1080 resolution. And I've yet to find something like that.