TV suggestions. - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-20-2006, 03:38 PM   #1

Trailer: 2002 Casita Freedom Deluxe / 2007 Nissan Frontier King Cab
When I bought my 2002 Casita FD, the previous owner had done some modifications to the TV shelf that I did not like. He had drilled two very small holes above the shelf (the holes aren't bad at all) and installed a pair of bars to add strength to the shelf so that he could keep the TV/VCR combo up all of the time. He had also screwed three small aluminum L-plates to additionally keep the TV in place (these were screwed directly into the TV shelf).

So last Saturday my wife and I decided to take the whole mess down and give the little TV/VCR to our teenaged son. The first owner did a neat job of drilling two holes in the fiberglass above the TV shelf--they were small enough for 1/8" threaded rod and not very noticeable. The TV shelf has a lot of screw holes in it, but we can cover that with a doily.

So, we are going to buy a new TV for the Casita. We were thinking of a flat screen TV. I was searching the net and saw that there are some decent under-the-counter models around with DVD players. Panasonic has some really good models, it seems.

Anyone here have any suggestions they could make based on their own experiences? I can use the two small holes the original owner drilled to secure the under-the-counter TV and not even need the shelf unless I wanted to use it for something else.

Oh. I want to keep the TV/DVDplayer budget in the $250 to $400 range (total).
BOBSMITH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 03:56 PM   #2

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
15 Inch, LCD with DVD, Sylvania at BJ's between $325 to $350.

Big enough screen, light enough to mount anywhere, thin, bright and with the DVD built in.

DR
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 04:15 PM   #3

Trailer: 2003 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe and 1989 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Talking

I was able to find a 17' Magnavox with a built in dvd player at Sams Club .com on the auction site for less than $400.00 with shipping.

The built in stand can be flipped over and the foot removed so that it mounts right under the cabinet. Plus it runs on 12v battery power or on an included adaptor.

Harv in Colo.
Harvey Craft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 03:51 PM   #4

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Harvey found a good deal. That unit was over $500 a year ago.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 07:32 PM   #5

Trailer: 84 16 ft Scamp
My first suggestion is -- don't.

But since that suggestion has already been disregarded I have another:

Get one that uses 12 volts dc directly. You can tell by checking if it uses a wall wart. If so, check where it plugs into the TV. Usually the voltage will be identified there. Otherwise it will be on the label of the wall wart.

The reason for this suggestion is so you don't need an inverter to run the TV on 120 vac.. It isn't the cost or complexity of the inverter so much as it is the power loss going through the inverter. This loss is on the order of 20 - 25 percent. Add that to he loss of the transformer, rectifier and filterng circuits inside the TV and you have probably lost another 10 - 15 percent. None of this loss takes place on a TV that can run directly on 12 vdc. This is especially important when boondocking.

I think if you decide to go direct 12 vdc, you are limited to about 13 inch in a LCD screen. If you can't live with that . . . . well, I will just keep my thoughts on this matter to myself.
Loren G. Hedahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 08:04 PM   #6

Trailer: Burro 17 ft Widebody
Registry
We got a Sharp Aquos 15" with a clearly marked 12v input. No DVD player built in but it works fine on 12v (and safe up to 14v). One thing important to me is that it has a line output for hooking sound up to an external sound system.
Per Walthinsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 09:32 PM   #7

Quote:
My first suggestion is -- don't.

I think if you decide to go direct 12 vdc, you are limited to about 13 inch in a LCD screen. If you can't live with that . . . . well, I will just keep my thoughts on this matter to myself.
Hey, I appreciate all input! You have some very valuable information there.

I do have my Honda generator, which I can hook up if I feel I need to. I generally don't go to campgrounds to use a TV/DVD player, but I like to have it in case I do want to watch something with my wife or son. Or if they want to watch a movie while I'm reading or out hiking.
Old 04-23-2006, 11:31 AM   #8

Trailer: Bigfoot 16 ft
Hello Bob. We also have a Sharp Aquos and I highly recommend them. They about the best LCD flat screens going, the picture quality is fantastic. You can get them online for pretty good prices well within your buget. I haven't seen a DVD combo but I'm sure they have them in other brands. Ours also is a 12volt with a transformer to 110. You would probably have to get a 12V patch chord. Flat screens weigh much less than a regular TV (5lbs for my 13in) so you have more mounting optins. They also consume only 25-30% of power of a regular TV so if your running off batteries this is a definite +. A photo of our TV and mounting shelf. Above the TV is a JVC automotive DVD/Radio/CD player combo. The stereo speakers for the unit are on the shelf to the right. The TV can be sound is piped through the JVC stereo for big movie sound like a home system.
Attached Thumbnails
Sharp_aquos_JVC_DVD_player.jpg   Corner_TV_shelf_speakers.jpg  

evan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 02:39 PM   #9

Trailer: Burro 17 ft Widebody
Registry
Echoing Evan: this is our version. Permanent but easily detachable mount with 4-channel amp, speakers, CD changer, and subwoofer out of sight.
Attached Thumbnails
Trailer_TV.jpg  
Per Walthinsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 03:17 PM   #10

Thanks all!

We're still looking. I want to take a look at some of the models you guys have mentioned.