TV vibration causing doggy fears & big woes for us! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-04-2015, 02:09 PM   #1

Trailer: 2005 17 ft Escape ('Turtle')
Registry
Unhappy Help! TV vibration, dog anxieties & big woes for us!

HELP! We tow a 17' Escape with a Toyota Sienna van. When we got the Escape we had a Previa, when we got the Sienna we had to use a different hitch because the Sienna is so low, even with the higher hitch we often scrap pulling out of low driveways, i.e. gas stations, etc. It is quite a jolt, but bearable.

2 yrs ago a 9 yr old miniature poodle named Abby came to live with us. First summer she traveled with no problems, but on a long trip last June, bad tires caused extra shimmy and vibration and even after getting new tires she became very fearful, anxious, shaking, panting, etc. all the way home. It was horrible for us, for her, made for a stressful trip. I bought a "thunder shirt" for her, used some aromatherapy, bought her a bed for the back seat, she calmed just a little and we made it home. Took several months for her to really like going in the car again. But she eventually became happy and willing to go, she goes everywhere with me.

Planning a long trip to the Tetons in a few weeks, we took a 'shake down' trip this weekend and her behavior started again after one bump. She was a nervous, shaking, anxious dog the whole trip. Fine out of car.

The van does feels every bump, curve, swerve, and vibration in the trailer. To us it is noticeable but we can live with it. To her it is a nightmare!

We are facing having to take this trip without the trailer if we can not find a solution and wonder if there might be a better hitching system, or some way to resolve the vibrations, etc. Has anyone else had this problem, do people think it is the tow vehicle/trailer combo creating the vibrations, etc.

Any ideas, suggestions, similar experiences that might help us would be appreciated. We are at our wits end.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2273.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	127.5 KB
ID:	83534

Name:	IMG_2120.jpeg
Views:	33
Size:	116.9 KB
ID:	83535

Name:	IMG_0958.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	73.2 KB
ID:	83536

Enjoy our travel photos at: Turtle Travels
Penney H. & Mike E. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 03:12 PM   #2
Commercial Member

Trailer: Winnebago
I feel yours and Abby's pain. We have a terrier mix dog (Scooter) who is very sensitive. He loves to go and wants to be with us all the time. He gets so distraught when we travel he chews anything and everything in sight. We have tried everything to make him comfortable (including a Thunder shirt) but still haven't been able to solve the problem. We feel it is best for him to travel in a dog crate to protect him and also the interior of our vehicle. It is so bad we couldn't put anything in the crate for his comfort like a pad or blanket because he would chew it and we are afraid of him ingesting the materials (he has already had surgery to remove an intestinal obstruction) so I finally was able to put a carpeted base in the crate that he has so far not been able to chew. We are frequent travelers and Scooter always wants to go. He always voices his objection to travel when he enters his crate but settles down as soon as we start moving. I wish I had a solution for Abby and Scooter but for now I can only suggest that you protect her and love her because I am sure she would rather be with you than boarded and have to deal with separation anxiety. Good luck and if you come up with a solution please share it with us and Scooter.
Larry,C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 03:36 PM   #3

Name: Dale
Trailer: Trillium
Saskatchewan
My golden retriever is petrified of car rides, from the time he was a little guy he'd shake, pee or puke and make a big mess.

we've settled on making sure he has his own kennel in the car (a smaller one than home) and before trips he gets a dose of childrens liquid gravol, have also tried liquid anti anxiety meds suggested by our vet - but they didn't seem to help. He gets in now and sleeps most of the time - we did 2600km each way last year at x-mas and he managed pretty well (lays down, braces himself in the kennel and tries to sleep)

dbir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 04:03 PM   #4
Commercial Member

So sad. You can see the fear in his eyes. We tried Dramamine at the recommendation of our vet but being a high energy dog it didn't help Scooter but I'm glad it helped your situation.
Old 05-04-2015, 04:20 PM   #5

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
To get back to your question: Have you had the wheel bearings checked and service on a regular basis? There may be some high pitched sounds that the dog hears that we may not be abler to hear. In addition, when that is being done, have the trailers wheels & tires checked for balance and any out-of-round condition. Any one of the three above items can agitate me, much less a pet. Even switching the trailers tires from left to right side may have an effect on sounds.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 04:33 PM   #6
Commercial Member

Good point Bob. Also check the hitch points for a dry condition that might produce a squeak that only a dog could hear. A little grease might help our dogs relax.
Old 05-04-2015, 05:13 PM   #7

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
With the hitch that low it is sure to scrape the ground at some point. If it ever catches a crack while scraping dog won't be the only one agitated and upset.

I agree there are a lot of potential sounds out of range of hearing that may "signal" to the dog that the thing it fears might happen. The things suggested might resolve that for the dog. I would be concerned that the hitch bangs again, which it probably will which will only reinforce the "scary thing going to happen" for the dog.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 05:15 PM   #8

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Even if you hitch bangs back and forth in the receiver it may be an upsetting sound. There are clamps that put that to rest in short order, less than $20.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 06:20 PM   #9

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
I agree with Bob and Larry - have everything on the car side checked as well as on the trailer side. Something may be rattling squeaking that she can hear but not you. Grease the trailer ball?

As far as the dog goes I personally prefer the dogs to ride in a fully enclosed kennel if space permits. Most of mine over the years have appeared to be far more comfortable in their own enclosed space when traveling. Also Bach Rescue Remedy is a great product to use to relieve stress/fear in humans and animals. If you have not tried it yet it may be worth a go. I became aware of it a number of years ago while attending a first aid course. No ill effects and they do make one specifically for dogs now. I don't know the difference between it and the original as I have only used the original on dogs.

I had a lab that during a thunder storm would get very stressed out and go into a closet and try and dig his way through the floor - a couple of drops of Rescue Remedy on his tongue and he would behave as it there was no storm at all going on.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 06:25 PM   #10

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2014 16 scamp side dinette/Rav4 V6 Tow pkg.
Pennsylvania
I use to let my dog ride in the cargo area in my rav4. Lots of noise back there and she is far away from us. She never settled down to go to sleep. Moved her to the back seat closer to us and less sound because she is off the floor and on seats which i made a full soft platform for her to lay down on. She gets plenty of air from the back windows cracked open and a treat from us helps to. We get a few miles down the road and she is snoring. Pops up when we are at a stop light. Carl
Carl Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 06:35 PM   #11

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I use zap straps to attach the cargo net to the front seat head rests in my RAV4. Keeps the beagle in the back ( rear seats folded ).
Old 05-04-2015, 06:47 PM   #12

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
I went to my Vet and he gave a Rx for the dog, calms him down.
Old 05-04-2015, 07:34 PM   #13
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
Hi Penny and Mike.

A few comments that may help or be of interest.

We have a Toyota Sienna same as yours and they have a firm, truck type of ride. The Honda Oddy as a comparison is softer and smoother.

I'm glad to see you are using a WDH. What brand is it and what weight rating are the bars? What is the tongue weight of the trailer loaded and ready for travel?

The smoothest WDH is the Easy Lift brand. The bars are designed to be forgiving on the TV and yet do the job they are intended for.

Like other suggested be sure the ball is lubed.

Wheels, tires, bearings, and axles on the trailer need to be in good condition and working properly.
MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 10:14 AM   #14

Name: Marijke
Trailer: Biod X2
Alberta
Registry
Hi Penny and Mike,

As Carol already wrote, get a bottle of Rescue Remedy, and give your dog some an hour before you leave. It works very well. We used it on foals before going on a trailer ride, and to pups that were less than certain about car-rides. Sedating is not a long term solution. And yes if your car has issues, look at those as well. I tow with a Jetta, also close to the ground, but the hitch ball sit 45 cm above street surface, no scraping or bumping. (Health food stores carry the Rescue Remedy) Good luck!
marijke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 10:27 AM   #15

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
I agree with Bob and Larry - have everything on the car side checked as well as on the trailer side. Something may be rattling squeaking that she can hear but not you. Grease the trailer ball?

As far as the dog goes I personally prefer the dogs to ride in a fully enclosed kennel if space permits. Most of mine over the years have appeared to be far more comfortable in their own enclosed space when traveling. Also Bach Rescue Remedy is a great product to use to relieve stress/fear in humans and animals. If you have not tried it yet it may be worth a go. I became aware of it a number of years ago while attending a first aid course. No ill effects and they do make one specifically for dogs now. I don't know the difference between it and the original as I have only used the original on dogs.

I had a lab that during a thunder storm would get very stressed out and go into a closet and try and dig his way through the floor - a couple of drops of Rescue Remedy on his tongue and he would behave as it there was no storm at all going on.

Bach Flower Remedy, has any human tried it?

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 11:09 AM   #16

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by marijke View Post
Hi Penny and Mike,

As Carol already wrote, get a bottle of Rescue Remedy, and give your dog some an hour before you leave. It works very well. We used it on foals before going on a trailer ride, and to pups that were less than certain about car-rides. Sedating is not a long term solution.
Glad to hear that someone else here has had a good results in using the Bach Rescue Remedy as well.

What I found most interesting about the use of Bach Rescue Remedy was as I said I discovered it while taking a first aid course for humans not animals.

It was suggested by the instructors that everyone should keep a bottle of it in their cars first aid kit as it can be used to calm down a seriously injured person while they await transport to the Emergency. It will not interfere in anyway with any procedures or medications they may need once they get to the hospital. Unlike some prescription based products that one might get from their doctors or in this case a vet.

For people such as myself who often camp in areas that are not in close proximity to an Emergency care center or with no cellphone coverage, its a great product to keep on hand in the trailer should someone seriously hurt themselves and there is going to be a delay in getting help fast.
Old 05-05-2015, 11:21 AM   #17

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
Bach Flower Remedy, has any human tried it?
)
Old 05-05-2015, 11:39 AM   #18

Alberta
Registry
Hi Norm and Ginny,
I've used on children after a fright, and on adults (they were in a fender bender;-)
they calmed down right away. I only buy the RR for humans, and use it whenever something scary happens, be they two- or fourlegged. I even put it in the baby chicks' water after picking them up from the bus- depot. Lambs and foals when being weaned. Shelf life is unlimited, and it is cheap.
Old 05-05-2015, 11:39 AM   #19

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
You might try a sound recording while towing and play it later when the dog is calm at home and see if she reacts to the recording. If she does then you know it isn't the trip but a sound during the trip. Most cell phones these days will record video with sound.

The insecurity could also be caused by the human factor. They pick up on human emotions and stress reactions and carry it themselves. Make sure your calm, they need their masters to be calm and secure. If I learned anything about dogs from the dog whisperer Cesar Millan problems are usually induced by there masters.

In my case I can easily get my dog worked up when packing for a trip. She sees us rushing about and left worrying about herself. Its easy to spend 2 days giving little attention to the dog. She starts worrying about being left behind which is more often than not. As soon as she sees her bag getting packed to go she starts to calm down. We don't need to pack her a bag but do it on purpose right in front of her. Favorite toys, cookies, leash and bowls. She knows what's hers or not. Her expressions go from worry to excitement then she can't wait to go.

Since your dog is small a travel kennel packed with her stuff early on close to the door may help. A couple of trips in the kennel she will learn its home and she wont be left behind will probably help.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 11:42 AM   #20

Alberta
Registry
Hi Carol,
I always have that, and a few basic homeopathic remedies with me esp. when camping. How cool that you were told about it in a first aid course!