The new axle+brakes came into the shop, so I was towing my '72 Trail Mite. Double-checked the tires
and hitch before getting on the freeway. 1 mile later I noticed it tilting to one side. Pulled over on the side of I-90 and, sure enough, it was flat and destroyed. Jacked it up with my Subaru's scissor jack and put the spare on (which I had checked out and patched a couple weeks ago). 35 miles later, it's tilting again. Sure enough the spare was shredded.
At this point, I was out of tires
and the Trail Mite was on an offramp median on I-5. It was 8am and most tire shops were closed. No towing company would attempt to tow it on a flatbed. I left the camper and drove about 6 miles to a Les Schwab. I was able to get a passenger tire for $60. Not ideal, but cheaper than towing and it would get me the 4 more miles to the shop.
Got it to the shop. They're replacing the axle
, installing brakes
and a brake controller on the Subaru. The rims are pretty darn rusted and the tires
questionable, so I'm getting two new rims and tires as well. I'm going to get one more spare rim and put the passenger tire on that. Again, not ideal, but hopefully it would only be needed to get me to a tire shop in the event that I get another flat.
Luckily, I've held off on doing too much work on the cosmetic stuff until I can get this thing roadworthy. Planning a two week roadtrip in June/July and would rather get the flats near civilization rather than in the middle of Wyoming.
Below is the spare rim and shredded tire.