Two Scamp projects: Hardwood floor and new cabinet doors - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 10-17-2010, 11:44 AM   #15
Commercial Member

Name: Robert
Trailer: Nest Caravans
Oregon
Registry
Though you can't find baltic birch plywood readily at Lowe's or Home Depot, a legit lumber yard should be able to locate it for you.

Old 10-17-2010, 03:42 PM   #16

Name: Rachel
Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
That's my problem. Annoyingly there are Lowe's and HD's reasonably nearby, but real lumberyards are a bit of a hike. I may try to order some online.

Old 10-18-2010, 04:24 PM   #17

Name: Steve
Trailer: 1983 Scamp 16
Texas
Registry
Wow, really inspirational photos Clive, RussL and Robert!

Russ, I love the look of the single door for the upper cabinets. In addition to just looking "cleaner" (which is always nice in a small space) I can totally see what you about being able to see in the entire cabinet at once. I'd love to learn more about the hinge hardware that keeps the cabinet door in the open position. And Robert, wow, your skills are amazing!

I'm curious, where do y'all source your stainless backsplash material?
Old 10-18-2010, 04:41 PM   #18
Commercial Member

Oregon
Registry
I get my stainless from a local HVAC company. Great resource 'cuz they can cut and bend to my specs.
Old 10-18-2010, 04:53 PM   #19

Trailer: 1992 13 ft Scamp
new cupboard doors

we did doors along with many other things.several years ago. It is shown in posts under our name here. Search DianeP.

Dave and Diane
Old 10-18-2010, 06:55 PM   #20

Trailer: 2009 Scamp 16 ft / 2003 Durango
Also check sheet metal shops.

Bill K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Johans View Post
I get my stainless from a local HVAC company. Great resource 'cuz they can cut and bend to my specs.
Old 10-18-2010, 09:52 PM   #21

Name: Russ
Trailer: Boler
Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve in TX View Post
Wow, really inspirational photos Clive, RussL and Robert!

Russ, I love the look of the single door for the upper cabinets. In addition to just looking "cleaner" (which is always nice in a small space) I can totally see what you about being able to see in the entire cabinet at once. I'd love to learn more about the hinge hardware that keeps the cabinet door in the open position. And Robert, wow, your skills are amazing!

I'm curious, where do y'all source your stainless backsplash material?
Thanks Steve,

I bought my stainless at a local machine shop that has a good stock of various metals.

The hardware I bought is basically a spring loaded version of something you'd see attached to the top of a child's toy box. As I said I haven't gotten around to installing it yet and it's bee so easy to just prop it open that I'm not sure when I will.

Russ
Old 10-20-2010, 02:33 PM   #22

Trailer: 1996 Scamp 13 ft
Thanks for the great tips everyone! Very inspirational. I'm planning on using 3/8 for the cabinets, and now all of the sudden I'm considering replacing the three top cabinets with one long one. I really like that look.

One question: Has anyone who's installed hardwood flooring in a Scamp run into trouble with finish nails poking through the bottom of the subfloor? I don't want to break that fiberglass seal, so I'm wondering what length of nail to use.

If any of you guys in the Twin Cities want to meet up and swap Scamp tips/stories, I'd love to hear from you. We're launching our Scampcapade after election day (Nov 2), so I'm using these next couple of weeks to get as much work done on the trailer as possible.

-chuck
Old 10-20-2010, 03:17 PM   #23
Commercial Member

Oregon
Registry
Chuck,

Just keep in mind that your subfloor is only 5/8" particle board. Obviously, you wouldn't want a nail/brad any longer than that.
Old 10-21-2010, 11:52 PM   #24

Name: Patrick
Trailer: Boler
MN
Hey Chuck

Not a Scamp owner (Boler here), but would be interested in your scamcapade!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cterhark View Post
Thanks for the great tips everyone! Very inspirational. I'm planning on using 3/8 for the cabinets, and now all of the sudden I'm considering replacing the three top cabinets with one long one. I really like that look.

One question: Has anyone who's installed hardwood flooring in a Scamp run into trouble with finish nails poking through the bottom of the subfloor? I don't want to break that fiberglass seal, so I'm wondering what length of nail to use.

If any of you guys in the Twin Cities want to meet up and swap Scamp tips/stories, I'd love to hear from you. We're launching our Scampcapade after election day (Nov 2), so I'm using these next couple of weeks to get as much work done on the trailer as possible.

-chuck

Tags
scamp