Originally Posted by Vickie B.
Clive and RussL---VERY nice look!
RussL---Is that one door that covers all openings of your upper cabinet? Might be a good look for the Perris Pacer---my doors are not the nice square ones like Clive's. They are dinky rectangular doors, so one piece across would look better.
Originally Posted by Raya L.
I, too, would love to know more about your upper cabinet(s). Can you show a photo with it open?
And it looks like you have some nifty stuff going on with the refrigerator/stove area too.
AND, how does one make those simple/straight panel doors. I really like that look.
Vickie and Raya,
Thanks for the kind words.
The upper door is in fact one piece. I ended up doing it this way for several reasons:
1. I'm lazy. Building one door, even if a slightly more complicated design, seemed easier.
2. Along those same lines, getting 3 doors to hang well where none would sag and get out of alignment didn't seem like a lot of fun.
3. Hinging it at the top works well. It gets the door up and out of the way and less likely to attract my forehead. I have some hardware that I haven't installed yet to hold the door up but the prop rod I cut some notches in actually works really well.
4. I never remember where anything is stowed so opening the entire cabinet at once makes sense. We actually end up leaving it up all the time at the campsite.
I don't have any pictures handy with the door open but there's not actually much to see. Nothing has really changed there. I could have removed the dividers between the 3 door spaces but I wanted to maintain the structural integrity of the cabinet so I left them there.
The door construction is basic frame and panel. I used 1x2 maple for the frames and 1/4" maple veneer plywood for the panels. The panels float in a groove routed in the inside of the frame. The frames are glued and screwed together with pocket screws.
You can see one of the pocket screw holes filled in the attached picture of the inside of the closet door.
As for the rest of the kitchen it's one of those "might as well" projects that got out of hand. I wanted to add the cooktop and sink with the glass lids to add counter space. I also wanted a fridge
to replace the original ice box. The cutouts for the cooktop and sink were different than the originals, leaving holes to patch in the countertop and the new fridge
was too deep to recess fully in the cabinet. I decided to build a new coutertop to hide the cutouts and also extend out over the fridge
This meant that the original wrought iron support for the upper cabinet wouldn't work anymore. I was never fond of the look anyway but I knew the support needed to be there so I decided to build something from maple. That of course led to building a matching one for the other side which led to the frame supporting the stainless backsplash.
There's plenty of work left to do but I'm happy with what I've done so far.