Two Scamp projects: Hardwood floor and new cabinet doors - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Maintenance | Restoration | Modifications | Problem Solving > Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-15-2010, 01:03 PM   #1

Trailer: 1996 Scamp 13 ft
Two Scamp projects: Hardwood floor and new cabinet doors

Hello,

We're taking our 1996 13' Scamp on the road for four months this winter, and there are a couple of projects I want to finish before we take off (in addition to the solar panel installation I'm currently working on):

- I'd like to replace all cabinet doors with new 3/8" birch doors.
- I'd also like to install hardwood flooring.

Tips from anyone who's attempted either of these mods would be greatly appreciated. Former threads about either project would be great too. Thanks in advance for your help!

chuck
minneapolis
cterhark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 02:40 PM   #2

Name: Patrick
Trailer: Boler
MN
floors

Hi Chuck

I am also in the process of doing those 2 exact same things. Just on my 1978 Boler instead of a Scamp. And I am also in Minneapolis!

I have no advice, just wanted to say hey.

Patrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by cterhark View Post
Hello,

We're taking our 1996 13' Scamp on the road for four months this winter, and there are a couple of projects I want to finish before we take off (in addition to the solar panel installation I'm currently working on):

- I'd like to replace all cabinet doors with new 3/8" birch doors.
- I'd also like to install hardwood flooring.

Tips from anyone who's attempted either of these mods would be greatly appreciated. Former threads about either project would be great too. Thanks in advance for your help!

chuck
minneapolis
Patrick J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 03:38 PM   #3

Trailer: Boler American (#3104)
Registry
I did very plain birchwood ply doors in my Boler. I don't have the woodworking facilities so I had Home Depot cut them and then applied four coats of acrylic-poly varnish.
Attached Thumbnails
Boler Interior 10-15-10 001.jpg  
CliveAlive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 07:44 PM   #4

Trailer: 1971 Boler 13 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick J View Post
Hi Chuck

... And I am also in Minneapolis!

Patrick
Greetings from another Twin Cities Boler owner. I did my cabinet doors in Maple and the floors in a maple look version of the Home Depot Allure vinyl. I don't have any good photos of the floor handy but I'm really happy with the look and the apparent durability.

Russ

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_4398.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	131.7 KB
ID:	31713Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_4400.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	143.8 KB
ID:	31714
RussL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 09:00 PM   #5

Trailer: 1988 Perris Pacer ('Bean') / 2004 Element
Registry
Clive and RussL---VERY nice look!

Clive--what is the thickness of your wood and how are the edges finished?
Approx. how much does Home Depot charge to cut wood for the customer?

RussL---Is that one door that covers all openings of your upper cabinet? Might be a good look for the Perris Pacer---my doors are not the nice square ones like Clive's. They are dinky rectangular doors, so one piece across would look better.

Thanks, Vickie
Vickie B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 10:36 PM   #6

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
RussL,

I, too, would love to know more about your upper cabinet(s). Can you show a photo with it open?

And it looks like you have some nifty stuff going on with the refrigerator/stove area too.

AND, how does one make those simple/straight panel doors. I really like that look.

Nice!

Raya
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 09:20 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vickie B. View Post
Clive and RussL---VERY nice look!

RussL---Is that one door that covers all openings of your upper cabinet? Might be a good look for the Perris Pacer---my doors are not the nice square ones like Clive's. They are dinky rectangular doors, so one piece across would look better.

Thanks, Vickie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raya L. View Post
RussL,

I, too, would love to know more about your upper cabinet(s). Can you show a photo with it open?

And it looks like you have some nifty stuff going on with the refrigerator/stove area too.

AND, how does one make those simple/straight panel doors. I really like that look.

Nice!

Raya
Vickie and Raya,

Thanks for the kind words.

The upper door is in fact one piece. I ended up doing it this way for several reasons:

1. I'm lazy. Building one door, even if a slightly more complicated design, seemed easier.
2. Along those same lines, getting 3 doors to hang well where none would sag and get out of alignment didn't seem like a lot of fun.
3. Hinging it at the top works well. It gets the door up and out of the way and less likely to attract my forehead. I have some hardware that I haven't installed yet to hold the door up but the prop rod I cut some notches in actually works really well.
4. I never remember where anything is stowed so opening the entire cabinet at once makes sense. We actually end up leaving it up all the time at the campsite.

I don't have any pictures handy with the door open but there's not actually much to see. Nothing has really changed there. I could have removed the dividers between the 3 door spaces but I wanted to maintain the structural integrity of the cabinet so I left them there.

The door construction is basic frame and panel. I used 1x2 maple for the frames and 1/4" maple veneer plywood for the panels. The panels float in a groove routed in the inside of the frame. The frames are glued and screwed together with pocket screws. You can see one of the pocket screw holes filled in the attached picture of the inside of the closet door.

As for the rest of the kitchen it's one of those "might as well" projects that got out of hand. I wanted to add the cooktop and sink with the glass lids to add counter space. I also wanted a fridge to replace the original ice box. The cutouts for the cooktop and sink were different than the originals, leaving holes to patch in the countertop and the new fridge was too deep to recess fully in the cabinet. I decided to build a new coutertop to hide the cutouts and also extend out over the fridge.

This meant that the original wrought iron support for the upper cabinet wouldn't work anymore. I was never fond of the look anyway but I knew the support needed to be there so I decided to build something from maple. That of course led to building a matching one for the other side which led to the frame supporting the stainless backsplash.

There's plenty of work left to do but I'm happy with what I've done so far.

Russ

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000273.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	102.2 KB
ID:	31716
Old 10-16-2010, 10:59 AM   #8

Thanks for the additional info, Russ.

Did you use a Kreg jig for the screw pockets? Someone was showing me one of those not too long ago and of course now I want one.

I've often gazed in amazement at the three upper kitchen cabinet doors in my Boler because they are all three perfectly aligned, and how does that happen in a camper factory where they are throwing rivets around like candy?

I have been thinking about turning the right-most one around, because they all three open with left-side hinges, which makes the right-hand door open kind of the "wrong" way; but now you have me thinking about a single door. It is true that leaving one of the doors open can be hazardous to your face!

Raya
Old 10-16-2010, 01:50 PM   #9
Commercial Member

Trailer: 1988 Scamp 13 ft and 1982 Perris Pacer 13 ft
Registry
I've used 3/8" baltic birch plywood for a few of my projects. ('88 Scamp, '82 Perris Pacer, and my latest, '69 Trailswest Campster.) It is light-weight, stable, and has no voids in the multi-layers. It sands very smooth, and takes a nice finish. (You do have to take care of the edges, as they can splinter at times.)
Attached Thumbnails
8Galley4.jpg   3FrntBench1.jpg  

6Galley2.jpg   IMG_0068.jpg  

12.jpg   TWC_in_01.jpg  

TWC_in_02.jpg   TWC_in_04.jpg  

TWC_in_06.jpg  
Attached Images

Robert Johans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 02:29 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raya L. View Post
Thanks for the additional info, Russ.

Did you use a Kreg jig for the screw pockets? Someone was showing me one of those not too long ago and of course now I want one.

Raya
I did use a Kreg jig. It's not the one linked in my post. I picked mine up ten years or more ago at a woodworking show. It's one of the earlier, all metal, models. It's one of my all time favorite tool purchases. You won't regret it if you get one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Johans View Post
I've used 3/8" baltic birch plywood for a few of my projects. ('88 Scamp, '82 Perris Pacer, and my latest, '69 Trailswest Campster.) It is light-weight, stable, and has no voids in the multi-layers. It sands very smooth, and takes a nice finish. (You do have to take care of the edges, as they can splinter at times.)
Robert,

I just wanted to say that I've admired your work for a long time. I hope that your renovation business works out well for you. If I didn't enjoy doing the work myself I certainly wouldn't hesitate to work with you.

Russ
Old 10-16-2010, 02:39 PM   #11
Commercial Member

Registry
Thanks for the kind words, Russ. Good luck.

PS. Looks like the stainless steel backsplash is getting pretty popular!
Old 10-16-2010, 05:30 PM   #12

Robert,

When you say you "take care of the edges" on the Baltic Birch, what are you doing to them?

Thanks,
Raya
Old 10-16-2010, 05:47 PM   #13
Commercial Member

Registry
When the plywood is cut to size, the cut edges are obviously sharp from the saw cut. "Easing" or rounding the sharp edge with sand paper can sometimes pick up a splinter. This splinter can tear off the edge and pull some of the top veneer off the plywood surface. This leaves an ugly scar on the face. No good.

To avoid this problem, I've found two solutions: a small router (sometimes called a palm router) with a small "ease-over" bit can put a tight, clean convex arc on the plywood edge. Or, "break" the edge by slowly and carefully stroking 120-grit sand paper perpendicular to the edge before using a finer grit along its length to finish it off.

Once the edge is smooth, sealing with a sanding sealer followed by a few coats of urethane (or other options) will keep the edge from splitting in the future.
Old 10-16-2010, 10:55 PM   #14

Okay, thanks! Great tips I'm hoping to use some Baltic Birch to replace some of my Black Walnut (ha ha) doors. Now I just have to figure out where to get it around here.

Raya
Old 10-17-2010, 10:44 AM   #15
Commercial Member

Registry
Though you can't find baltic birch plywood readily at Lowe's or Home Depot, a legit lumber yard should be able to locate it for you.
Old 10-17-2010, 02:42 PM   #16

That's my problem. Annoyingly there are Lowe's and HD's reasonably nearby, but real lumberyards are a bit of a hike. I may try to order some online.
Old 10-18-2010, 03:24 PM   #17

Name: Steve
Trailer: 1983 Scamp 16
Texas
Registry
Wow, really inspirational photos Clive, RussL and Robert!

Russ, I love the look of the single door for the upper cabinets. In addition to just looking "cleaner" (which is always nice in a small space) I can totally see what you about being able to see in the entire cabinet at once. I'd love to learn more about the hinge hardware that keeps the cabinet door in the open position. And Robert, wow, your skills are amazing!

I'm curious, where do y'all source your stainless backsplash material?
Steve in TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 03:41 PM   #18
Commercial Member

Registry
I get my stainless from a local HVAC company. Great resource 'cuz they can cut and bend to my specs.
Old 10-18-2010, 03:53 PM   #19

Trailer: 1992 13 ft Scamp
new cupboard doors

we did doors along with many other things.several years ago. It is shown in posts under our name here. Search DianeP.

Dave and Diane
DianeP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 05:55 PM   #20

Trailer: 2009 Scamp 16 ft / 2003 Durango
Also check sheet metal shops.

Bill K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Johans View Post
I get my stainless from a local HVAC company. Great resource 'cuz they can cut and bend to my specs.
Bill K is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp