u haul 85 camper - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-07-2019, 05:57 PM   #1

Name: BONITA
Trailer: '85 u haul camper
VA
u haul 85 camper

Hi, anyone know where to get wheels for 1985 u haul camper. know that they are 13 inch tires, but is the 4.75 lug circle correct? any info, would be appreciated. Hadn't been able to find so far if I have correct lug size. thanks
Bonnie White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 07:00 PM   #2

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Go to uhaultruckparts.com, then to their eBay store. Part # for the wheel is 23516006. It is close to $100. Slightly different than the originals, does not have the little nubs for the small hubcap. The 4'5" measurement in the wheel description is the width, not the bolt pattern which is 5 on 4 3/4 circle. The offset is what makes the Uhaul wheels unique.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 07:21 PM   #3

VA
85 u haul

Thanks for the reply, will try this sight. thanks again.
Old 09-08-2019, 08:25 PM   #4

Name: Perk
Trailer: Formerly U-Haul
Arizona
Registry
U-Haul Camper

Bonnie White, I am not sure if you are aware but there is a "U-Haul Camper" group on Facebook. You are most welcome to come join us and enjoy sharing the experience of ownership with other U-Haul owners. Hopefully we will see you there.
Perk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 05:10 PM   #5

VA
85 uhaul camper

Hi, Would you know what holds the front window awning up, you can flip it up but something there is missing to keep it up all the time. Have a stick to prop it up right now. any info helpful !! thanks
Old 09-09-2019, 07:52 PM   #6

Trailer: U-Haul VT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie White View Post
Hi, Would you know what holds the front window awning up, you can flip it up but something there is missing to keep it up all the time. Have a stick to prop it up right now. any info helpful !! thanks

They are called gas shocks. If you go to the UHAUL Facebook site you will find a spreadsheet in the files section that has a cross reference for many parts including wheels gas shocks window repair parts and many more.
Mike Meyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 03:55 AM   #7

VA
uhaul camper

Thank you for the info., I will look at that section.
Old 09-14-2019, 11:24 AM   #8

Name: Bob
Trailer: Scamp
Florida
Just take the hub off and clean it since you already likely need to pack the bearings. Take it to WalMart, Rural King, Tractor Supply, Northern Tool, etc and find a reasonably prices off the shelf wheel that fits your hub. Make sure your tires are good to go for your Loaded Camper.
Bob Durrstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 02:18 PM   #9

New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Durrstein View Post
Just take the hub off and clean it since you already likely need to pack the bearings. Take it to WalMart, Rural King, Tractor Supply, Northern Tool, etc and find a reasonably prices off the shelf wheel that fits your hub. Make sure your tires are good to go for your Loaded Camper.
Uhaul trailers use a sealed bearing hub that is not serviceable. They also use a different bolt circle for the wheels, 5 on 4 3/4 where the commonly used trailer wheels are 5 on 4 1/2. The Uhaul wheels also have an odd offset. Wheels are available on Uhaul's eBay store.
Old 09-14-2019, 05:11 PM   #10

VA
uhaul 85

Thanks again for the response. We finally figured out about the bolt circle. We just sandblasted the wheel and bought new tires. We now just need a spare. this camper has been a challenge to work on can't nothing locally but we are getting there.
Old 09-14-2019, 08:03 PM   #11

New York
If you don't want to spend the $100 for a new wheel from Uhaul, look in the files on the Facebook group to see what years of Chevy Camaro's have the same bolt pattern, around the year 2000 maybe, and get a donut spare from one of them. Many parts are either no longer in production or unique only to the Uhauls. We sold our Uhaul and most of my spare parts.
Old 09-15-2019, 09:04 AM   #12

Name: Steve
Trailer: 17' Bigfoot
British Columbia
If there is a problem getting wheel parts for the rig, why not just replace the axle with something that is standard? I did this with my Big Foot and I now have a completely standard axle, wheels, wheel bearings, brakes and etc. I also took the time to modify the height so I could have enough clearance to permanently install front and rear stabilizers.
Stephe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 11:52 AM   #13

New York
It's not a problem getting Uhaul wheels or new bearing hubs, it just is not cheap. Replacing the axle is the best way to get brakes as the 13 foot model does not have them, but in my experience most owners are not willing to spend the money. Same with the leaking windows, there are solutions, but again considerable work and money.
Old 09-16-2019, 07:49 AM   #14

Name: Steve
Trailer: 17' Bigfoot
British Columbia
I can appreciate the money thing for sure... I am not too afraid of spending the money on a unit that is 30 years old because it is lasting. I see these new rigs for $40 grand that only last a few years, and I don't mind spending $1500 for stuff that leaves me with a great rig that keeps getting better. This unit is one of my hobbies and I enjoy putting in better stuff. Being retired helps too.
Stephe is offline   Reply With Quote