U-Haul Camper - replacement pipe for dinette? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-29-2010, 08:46 PM   #1

Trailer: *13 ft Scamp
U-Haul Camper - replacement pipe for dinette?

Hi all ~ just got a new-to-me '84 13' U-Haul camper. Unfortunately, the original pipe the holds the dinette table was lost and I'm trying to figure out something to use that's a suitable replacement. I stopped by Home Depot hoping to find a a similar 2" cylinder. They were not too helpful Any ideas on other places/resources to try? And is there a standard table "height" I should request if it needs to be cut down? Thanks for any insight/ideas you might have. ~ Lisa
L Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 09:56 PM   #2

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
You'd have better luck at an RV Supply store...
RV Furniture pedestal table legs, bases
Buy it online, or Camping World is another possibility. Here in San Diego there are several RV supply retailers to choose from.
Old 07-29-2010, 10:19 PM   #3

Perfection! Thanks so much!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederick L. Simson View Post
You'd have better luck at an RV Supply store...
RV Furniture pedestal table legs, bases
Buy it online, or Camping World is another possibility. Here in San Diego there are several RV supply retailers to choose from.
Old 07-29-2010, 10:35 PM   #4

Trailer: U-Haul
Lisa, On my U Haul the original post for the table was modified to fit another custom table top. The previous owner had to add a thin adapter tube to the top end of the pipe/post in order to fit the new fitting on the table. As such the original table could not be used because with the adapter the tube was too large in diameter. As I wanted to use the original table I removed the adapter and the tube once again fits the original table.

So I would suggest you check the diameters carefully as the U Haul stuff seems always to be "special" in one way or another and I suspect a standard table post will be too big in diameter.

Hope this helps,
David A. L.

Quote:
Originally Posted by L Brown View Post
Perfection! Thanks so much!
David A. L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 12:34 PM   #5

Trailer: 1985 U-Haul CT13 ft ('The Mothball')
Actually the table post is standard and super easy to find, it is 29 1/2 inches tall. I found a replacement easily at my local RV store for 10$, I notice that camping world also has some:

Table Leg - Product - Camping World

Bridget
Bridget T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 05:43 PM   #6

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
Registry
How do the CT table legs anchor? I have a VT and it has a sort of complex folding leg mechanism slash mousetrap.
Old 07-30-2010, 07:16 PM   #7

Trailer: 13 ft Burro
Most use one of these mounts either surfaced mount or recessed mount.
Attached Thumbnails
leg.jpg  
Scott B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 07:36 PM   #8

Trailer: U-Haul
Be aware that at least one style of table supports made by TIIDEE in Dayton, Ohio use a different diameter pipe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott B. View Post
Most use one of these mounts either surfaced mount or recessed mount.
Bests,
David A. L.
David A. L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 08:33 PM   #9

In my CT there was the recessed mount which I'm pretty sure is original (quite rusted) as shown on the left of Scott B's post. I had a post but it was very rusted and wiggly, getting a new posthelped a lot. The fiberglass table has a surfaced mount fiberglassed into the bottom.

I will add that the CT's original table is really hard to get around. You basically have to lean the table over to get in - even if you are a thin person. We are right now trialling a prototype of a new table which is half the size, but two pieces which hinge together. We are pretty pleased with this arrangement - less table space but way easier to get in and out when it is set up as a dinette. And then we just unfold it to use for the bed support.
Bridget
Old 07-31-2010, 03:19 PM   #10

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
I relocated the mounting flange for the table further back which shifts the table back and allows more room to get in. The table now 'overhangs' the back portion of the 'U' shape sitting bench. I don't really care because I do not seat 4 at the table (usually 2 max). I love the table pushed back. It makes the floor space much bigger feeling too!
Attached Thumbnails
Table Mount.JPG  
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 06:30 PM   #11

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Cool

Looking Good!
Old 07-31-2010, 10:27 PM   #12

Pam,
I like the way you moved the table back, was it difficult to make a new recessed spot for the moved flange?
Bridget
Old 08-01-2010, 09:17 AM   #13

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
Mine is not using the recessed holder. Its still in the floor, I believe, under the carpet. Previous owner had installed a surface mount pipe holder which I simply removed and screwed back down where I wanted it. (simple simple !) If you ck the photo, you can see the type of mount. It's a low profile one, and they got it from a marine supply company.
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 03:24 PM   #14

Thanks for all the great advice. I've done careful measurements of the existing anchors on the tabletop and floor (looks like original equipment; floor anchor is the recessed style) and will try to find a store in the LA area that carries this so I can go in and compare -- it looks like about 2 1/8". Or else, I'll try mail order and take my chances. Luckily the part is not too pricey
Old 08-04-2010, 07:43 PM   #15

If you need to mail order I am quite sure that the one from campingworld at 29 1/2" is the right one, although I admit I have not seen it in person.
Bridget

Quote:
Thanks for all the great advice. I've done careful measurements of the existing anchors on the tabletop and floor (looks like original equipment; floor anchor is the recessed style) and will try to find a store in the LA area that carries this so I can go in and compare -- it looks like about 2 1/8". Or else, I'll try mail order and take my chances. Luckily the part is not too pricey
Old 08-05-2010, 01:14 AM   #16

That's what I'm thinking as well Bridget. I called Camping World to order it today but they're out of stock for a few weeks. Once I get it/try it out, I'll report back. Thanks again!
Old 08-08-2010, 03:37 PM   #17

Any RV stores close to you? Mine had it for about 10 bucks. It's actually a pretty common part (which is rare with the Uhauls). You could call them first and see.
Bridget

Quote:
That's what I'm thinking as well Bridget. I called Camping World to order it today but they're out of stock for a few weeks. Once I get it/try it out, I'll report back. Thanks again!
Old 08-16-2010, 01:38 PM   #18

Trailer: 1975 Surfside TM14 (front kitchen)
Registry
Send a message via MSN to Scott S. Send a message via Yahoo to Scott S.
I have one... if you're in the Winnipeg area, you can have it.
Scott S. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dinette, table, u-haul