U-Haul Camper Trailer Windows - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 12-23-2017, 11:47 PM   #15

Name: Adam
Trailer: Uhaul
Florida
Where can I get more info on the aluminum filler panel to reduce the window opening size? What is this and how is it done?

moonpies4misfits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 07:02 AM   #16

Name: Michael J
Trailer: U-Haul VT
Indiana
Registry
U-Haul Camper Trailer Windows

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonpies4misfits View Post
Where can I get more info on the aluminum filler panel to reduce the window opening size? What is this and how is it done?

You have to make it.it involves measuring The fiberglass opening to center the filler, figuring out how much over lap and radius you need ,cutting that out , checking to make sure it works, if so mark the fiberglass so you can get it back in the right place later,then tracing the new window opening after centering then cutting it out. Clean up the edges. D rly fit on window, if good then use butyl tape and pop rivets to mount to fiberglass between your marks. Piece of cake. Then mount window with butyl.

mmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 07:07 AM   #17

Name: bob
Trailer: 1984 u-haul ct13; 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Quote:
I went to my local welding / fabricator shop, bought a piece of 1/8" flat aluminum, cut it to the size I needed and cut the opening for a Scamp window to fit in. Clamp ring has to be installed backwards. Do not use the foam tape that Scamp sends with the window.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0180.jpg  
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 08:08 AM   #18

Florida
These seem like two different Methods? One w fiberglass and one with Aluminum sheet. I'd like to maintain the fiberglass look of the window surround. There are body fillers with metal mixed in and I figured the "aluminum filler" was made up of this.
Old 12-24-2017, 08:11 AM   #19

Florida
Anyone know the original Uhaul Windows radius off hand?
Old 12-24-2017, 10:10 AM   #20

Trailer: 1984 u-haul ct13; 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
We went for the easy fix as we were not looking for a show piece camper, but one that was more functional and economical. Only did one side as I was able to purchase two new original windows but already had one of the Scamp windows. May eventually install another Scamp window as I bought enough aluminum to do both.
Old 12-24-2017, 11:01 AM   #21

Indiana
Registry
Quote:
These seem like two different Methods? One w fiberglass and one with Aluminum sheet. I'd like to maintain the fiberglass look of the window surround. There are body fillers with metal mixed in and I figured the "aluminum filler" was made up of this.

You can also buy aluminum sandwich from amazon in black or white
Old 12-24-2017, 01:28 PM   #22

Florida
Looked for aluminum sandwich on Amazon but not sure what it is. I think I'm more confused than when I started. Any other pics avail to clue me in on this process?
Old 12-24-2017, 01:38 PM   #23

Indiana
Registry
Quote:
Looked for aluminum sandwich on Amazon but not sure what it is. I think I'm more confused than when I started. Any other pics avail to clue me in on this process?

Search for aluminum composite sheet
Old 12-24-2017, 02:01 PM   #24

Florida
Found it.! What if I had a sheet of this and traced/cutout the new window opening, screw/clamp the cutout to existing window opening where I want the new window then apply a little resin and fiberglass Matt over the top of the sandwich, sand, lightly apply bondo filler, sand and paint? Would this work or is there an easier way? Seems like structurally it would be good and if I could get it to match existing fiberglass it would look good. Would I screw/clamp to the inside or outside of existing window opening?
Old 12-24-2017, 04:31 PM   #25

Indiana
Registry
I used urethane windshield sealant and pop rivets
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0954.jpg   IMG_0958.jpg  

IMG_0968.jpg   IMG_0973.jpg  

Old 12-24-2017, 05:13 PM   #26

New York
I used fiberglass resin between the 1/8" aluminum and the outside of the trailer. Next time I'll probably use Proflex. Attached the aluminum with a few machine screws and lock nuts .
Old 12-24-2017, 09:30 PM   #27

New York
Quote:
Anyone know the original Uhaul Windows radius off hand?
I have noted in my files that the original radius is 2 1/2" and the Scamp window is 3".You can draw a circle on paper with those radiuses to check.
Old 12-31-2017, 08:07 AM   #28

Florida
Seems like the Scamp Windows will work for the front and back by enlarging the openings and will work for the two sides by adding fiberglass to reduce the openings. What about the door window? Most I see as RV replacements are too big.

Tags
u-haul, windows