U-Haul door lock? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-21-2012, 09:47 AM   #1

Name: Jason
Trailer: 2007 Eggcamper & Homemade Tear Drop
New York
Registry
U-Haul door lock?

Has any one replaced there U-haul CT door lock?.... What brand lock did you use?.... Where did you get it?..... Mine is not working very well and I would like to replace the hole thing.
THANKS!!!!!
Jason
kirkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 09:58 AM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I can't remember.. need more coffee... does the U-haul use a Bargman L-300? If so, you may be interested in this thread (different brand of trailer, but info may apply): http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ium-50835.html
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 10:05 AM   #3

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Look here:

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/m...oor+lock&sa=Go
Old 04-21-2012, 10:12 AM   #4

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
You could have a locksmith try to repair it. That is what we did with our Burro. Cost surprisingly little.

CindyL
CindyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 10:26 AM   #5

Name: Frederic
Trailer: U-Haul ct-13
Quebec
Took ours apart, cleaned all of the parts with wd40, reassemble it and grase every parts with lithium white grease and now it works like a brand new one. I didn't have the key so a got the barel to a locksmith and got 3 new key made out for 12$.
theman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 11:26 AM   #6

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by theman View Post
Took ours apart, cleaned all of the parts with wd40, reassemble it and grase every parts with lithium white grease and now it works like a brand new one. I didn't have the key so a got the barel to a locksmith and got 3 new key made out for 12$.
You did well. I paid $5 just to have a spare key made.
Old 04-22-2012, 10:05 AM   #7

New York
Registry
Thanks guys! I think I might try replacing the springs before I suck it up and install a new lock set!
Old 04-22-2012, 11:02 AM   #8

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
What is the problem with yours Jason? I took ours apart, cleaned it and lubed it with white grease. I also had to adjust the striker plate for the door to close easy. I found that to be able to lock the door from the inside, I had to have the outside key lock in the vertical position, that is when the key is in the lock it is at 12 o'clock. I was unlocking the door with the key by turning it clockwise as far as it would go and removing the key, but then couldn't lock the door on the inside, so now by unlocking with the key and then turning the key back 1/4 turn, the inside lock works. Took me awhile to figure that out. Bob
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 12:21 PM   #9

New York
Registry
Mine is almost impossible to lock with the key. You have to wiggle the handle just right to get it to lock. I am guessing the the spring is not strong enough to holed the locking mechanism in place to get the key out with out it unlocking.
Old 04-22-2012, 02:54 PM   #10

New York
Jason; is the door shutting tight and latching completely. With ours if the door isn't latched tight, the outside handle is floppy, and how about the inside handle, is it perfectly horizontal. That may affect how the key lock works. If the key or lock cylinder are worn that could be a problem too. Try squirting some lube into the lock where the key goes. I had a couple extra keys made, good thing because I lost the original on our last trip. Bob
Old 04-22-2012, 07:14 PM   #11

New York
Registry
Bob.... I have done all that to no avail. The only thing left for me to try short of taking it to a lock smith is replacing the springs. The springs do seam to have lost there spring. There really is no bounce back in them at all. I will let you know how it turns out as soon as I get around to it. It might take me a couple of weeks. I am getting in to my busy season and my partner is headed south to see his grand son be born so I am holding down the fort buy my self for 2 weeks.
Jason
Old 04-24-2012, 08:40 PM   #12

Trailer: One 13 ft Scamp and One 13 ft Trillium and Two Trillium 4500
If it is a Bargmam L300 I've got one posted in the Parts section for sale thats works perfectly..I posted pictures if its the one you need let me know..Thanks Randy
Randy Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 06:38 PM   #13

New York
Registry
Stretched the spring a little now it is working!
Old 04-29-2012, 07:31 PM   #14

New York
I like those easy fixes! Are you going to attend the gathering at Limekiln Lake or Fish Creek Pond? We will take our Uhaul to Limekiln, and the teardrop to Fish Creek.
Old 04-30-2012, 12:59 PM   #15

New York
Registry
I might go to Limekiln lake if I am not to busy. My business partner is out of town that week end and I am covering for him.

Tags
u-haul