U-Haul parts? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-24-2012, 10:14 AM   #1

Trailer: Avion
U-Haul parts?

I've just purchased a U-Haul 16' VT that is gonna need some work.

Has anyone found a source for parts for U-Haul fiberglass trailers? I've contacted U-Haul in Phoenix (where they were made), and they referred me to Burro, who has not responded to my email query to them.

Thanks!
Jonathan Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 11:38 AM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
A few parts are available here from UHaul. Click on the text on left and then read down the EXCEL format to Camper Parts

http://epc.uhaul.com/LinkOne/Viewer/...aul/misc_parts

Tell us what you need specifically and we can make recommendations for sources.

Uhaul is not the same as a Burro and Burro is essentially dead, anyway.
Thomas G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 11:42 AM   #3

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
thats going to depend on what part you need. a lot of them are general parts you can get threw any rv dealer.

if i'm not misstook and i frequently are,,,,i heard burro is having some legal issues and are closed up for a while.

if__ thats the case , then thats why you haven't heard from them.
john warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 01:18 PM   #4

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Uhaul has a ebay store too that has some trailer parts, but probably not for the campers. There was some brake parts on there that may be adaptable to your trailer.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 01:45 PM   #5

Also, I didn't have much luck with human contact at the above linked UHaul parts supply. My first email went unanswered for weeks, then answered with faulty infomation. A second request for clarification was unanswered. Phone calls unanswered.

I was trying to see if they stocked VT brake drums - I finally gave up.
Old 02-24-2012, 06:50 PM   #6

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
Tell us what you need. We will try to tell you where we found what we have. A lot of the CT information pertains to your camper too.

Welcome to the Uhaul family. We have a VT too. We were able to buy new rims from our friendly Uhaul dealer (The number you need to order is listed here, but you need to have a cooperative dealer.). We got hubs from another dealer; they still sell them though, so again, if you find the right dealer. I have seen some hubs on ebay, but I am not sure if they are the right size. Brake parts were available off ebay; they are standard. Lights can be replaced but not the taillight covers unless you change the style or someone here on the forum completes a replacement part that he can reproduce. Wheels can be had from your tire dealer. If you have leaky windows, search for Bridgette T's description of how she fixed hers and the part number (Fred from Quebec is searching for someone to share the cost of the window parts, as they can't be bought in small sections.)

CindyL
CindyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 06:51 PM   #7

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Burro isn't just having legal issues... they've been out of business for a decade. Don't expect to hear anything back from them, especially if you tried "their" website and don't send them any money!
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 07:14 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyL View Post
......... We got hubs from another dealer; they still sell them though, so again, if you find the right dealer. I have seen some hubs on ebay, but I am not sure if they are the right size.......................
CindyL
Just to clarify, the hubs are the same as a 1993 - 2002 Camaro, so you can get them at any auto parts store. Not sure why, as UHauls were made in 1984 and 1985. Perhaps they used a time machine.
Old 02-24-2012, 07:54 PM   #9

Name: Patti
Trailer: 1984 UHaul CT13
Colorado
Registry
Smile

Welcome to this Forum Jonathan. You will find it a great resource for all your questions. Only a few parts are available and the others usually will need some kind of mod to work. I've not had much luck finding anything I need like tail light lenses and their grommet. There was a man on here posting about trying to make a mold, but that was months ago.
Hope our paths might cross sometime in Colorado. I've never seen a VT16.
Glad you found this group.
Thanks,
Patti
keekers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 08:10 PM   #10

Trailer: Avion
Wow -- fantastic response you guys! Yes, U-Haul was not especially helpful at a major service center, they made the initial recommendation to contact Burro... The Camaro hub workaround is fantastic, I had some brake drums from a Ford fit my old Avion.

What I'm looking for right now:

1: Plastic hatch cover for compartment near to floor by the door. Approx. 7"x 16"

2: Front window cover, I'm not sure if these were plastic or fiberglass.

3: Cover for Hammond bathroom vent. 7 1/2"diameter, round. The elevation is provided by two flat spade type metal elements attached to a horizontal handle inside that just pushes with no mechanism. I assumed this would be a common item, as I've seen them in Casita's, but the RV places here in Phoenix just look at me funny and tell me repeatedly that they have 14" hatch covers, and perhaps I should consider modifying to accommodate these.

Thanks!
Jonathan Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 08:59 PM   #11

Registry
Some of the stuff you need may need to be creatively made. If by the hatch cover you mean the hatch that the seat sits on, coudln't you just cut out a piece of board? Our Burro had someone's homemade hatch covers.

If you mean the front window cover, they were solid like those you see on CTs. We don't have one on our VT either. It did have one; the brackets are there. I though some day we might make one from plexiglass. The hubby likes being able to see through the trailer.

Maybe you can modify the vent cover too. Thomas G. used some kind of a strainer for a vent cover.

We bought our curtain rods on British ebay. We use our closet to hold a microwave and plastic drawers. If you can find an old Sharp Half Pint microwave, they fit perfectly. We connected a bracket to hold our TV to the closet wall. We hung a kind of hammock between the back upper cupboards for things like PJs during the day. We use bungie cords to hold the sliding cupboards shut, or they slide open and dishes fall out when traveling. Suction towel racks work nicely. I got ours at Bed, Bath, and Beyond. A FirstUp can lean against the trailer; the door opens under it and you have another room. Plastic drawers from Walmart for storing stuff fits nicely under the front dinette.

Hubby made an extension for the countertop from Walmart cutting racks. He has a swing arm that supports a board on a hinge that flips out over the bed/couch. It is where I put the dish rack with a rubber drain under it that drains back into the sink.

Search ebay for Uhaul things if you become a real fanatic. We bought a surge brake there. We also bought a Uhaul camper model toy, Uhaul jackets (I just won a jacket. Sorry if I was bidding against you.), shirts, hats, a neon light, and recently, several Uhaul US puzzles to keep track of where you take your camper. Goosler from this forum sells new stickers for your Uhaul on ebay if you need new ones.

Watch your drain in the bathroom. Ours was too high, so hubby drilled in two new holes in the low parts. We don't use the shower much, but we made it usable.

All for now.

CindyL
Old 02-25-2012, 09:02 PM   #12

Name: Roger
Trailer: U Hall VT
Michigan
Registry
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Wright View Post
Wow -- fantastic response you guys! Yes, U-Haul was not especially helpful at a major service center, they made the initial recommendation to contact Burro... The Camaro hub workaround is fantastic, I had some brake drums from a Ford fit my old Avion.

What I'm looking for right now:

1: Plastic hatch cover for compartment near to floor by the door. Approx. 7"x 16"

2: Front window cover, I'm not sure if these were plastic or fiberglass.

3: Cover for Hammond bathroom vent. 7 1/2"diameter, round. The elevation is provided by two flat spade type metal elements attached to a horizontal handle inside that just pushes with no mechanism. I assumed this would be a common item, as I've seen them in Casita's, but the RV places here in Phoenix just look at me funny and tell me repeatedly that they have 14" hatch covers, and perhaps I should consider modifying to accommodate these.

Thanks!
The cover,for the vent, is fiberglass dome, the front window cover is fiberglass,but you could make one out of a pice of plastic, same for the hatch cover
Roger Kimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 09:10 PM   #13

Name: Roger
Trailer: U Hall VT
Michigan
Registry
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
Just to clarify, the hubs are the same as a 1993 - 2002 Camaro, so you can get them at any auto parts store. Not sure why, as UHauls were made in 1984 and 1985. Perhaps they used a time machine.
The chevy hubs will fit the U-Haul axel, but the U-Haul rims will not fit the chevy hubs.
Roger Kimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 10:09 PM   #14

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
I bought a set of hubs from Uhaul truck parts website. They are probably not original Uhaul equipment as they have a plastic cover with an electrical connector which must be for ABS wiring. The Uhaul hubs are a sealed bearing unit that can not be disassembled and greased. Uhaul sells a tail light conversion housing to change to readily available round lights. They also have replacement marker lights, but a similar light is probably available at auto parts stores.. I'm not familiar with the round roof vent, does it have a removeable interior trim piece, if so pull it off and see if there is actually a 14" square hole there. I'm removing my CT's swamp cooler and installing a Fantanstic Fan. The strainer cover that Cindy is referring to is a sink drain screen that Thomas put over the furnace vent to keep the mud daubers out. Excellent idea, I just bought one but haven't installed it yet. I just removed my defective power converter, salvaged the fuse panel out of it, mounted it on a new battery box and put in a 1150 truck battery. Also did some 110V rewiring, added a couple outlets and lights , and some 12 volt lights. Bob PS Hope this message isn't "scrambled" like a previous one I did.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 11:42 PM   #15

Registry
Search for Kevin K. He just posted a front window cover he made from an aluminum frame and siding.

CindyL
Old 02-26-2012, 07:15 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyL View Post
Search for Kevin K. He just posted a front window cover he made from an aluminum frame and siding.

CindyL
This one? Kevin K's Front Window Guard
Old 02-26-2012, 08:09 AM   #17

Registry
Yes.

If he posts how he made the frame, maybe we can make one that is plexiglass or something that hubby can see through. It does not seem that not having one has hurt our Uhaul, but it seems if they were made with one, there could be a problem. I think our Eurovan is tall enough to act as a protection, but who knows?

CindyL
Old 02-26-2012, 08:24 AM   #18

Cindy, Scamps gravel guard, that's sold aftermarket, is just a flat piece of fiberglass with U-Shaped Flexible Edge Trim Molding around the edge. It doesn't have a frame. I'd think a piece of clear plexiglass could be fashioned the same way. It's the attachments that may need to be different.
Old 02-26-2012, 08:40 AM   #19

Registry
We do have part of the old frame still attached but I am not sure how much or if it could be used.

Oh well, not a priority. I would rather get the classic vehicles running first. We just bought a yard shed, so getting some space in the garage may help with creating some room to work on those. Maybe the VW pickup will no longer be a storage space for camping stuff.

CindyL
Old 02-26-2012, 04:22 PM   #20

Name: Michael J
Trailer: U-Haul VT
Indiana
Registry
vent cover VT

Ventline makes a similar vent but 12v powered. cap part number is BVA0502-03 it is plastic. Don't know of a distributor but you may be able to have someone order it. I replaced mine with the powered model available from dyers RV Ventline Polar White Van Air-Powered Roof Vent - Powered Vents - Roof Vents - Roof Vents & Ceiling Fans - Hardware. you will have to take the closet out to get to the 12V and trim the ring height to make it fit but easy to do. Also I would double check your 120V wiring to make sure it has not been overloaded, I found that my breakers were corroded and would not work. and just for fun PEX and stab fittings work well for plumbing replacement. You will have to use common flexible faucet connectors available at any hardware store to mate up the tees to the faucets. my 2 cents.
Michael J.
mmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
u-haul