U-Haul tail light lenses - can someone custom make? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-22-2012, 07:48 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
U-Haul tail light lenses - can someone custom make?

Moderator note: This topic was split from a listing in our Commercial Products forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1
Custom ABS plastic widgets to hold your stuff
If you can't find the right size storage holder, pocket, drawer, wire rack liners - we'll make it exactly the way you need. No standard products, just custom solutions, all made in Oregon.

Charlie

RV Widget Works | ,
Welcome. I'm curious if you could make UHaul tail light lenses with a vacuum forming process. They are totally unavailable and attempts to get molded ones made have been unsuccessful. Of course it would be all one color. Or perhaps an attractive adapter to a production tail light. The second photo is UHaul's answer.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3398.JPG   IMG_3694.jpg  

Old 06-22-2012, 10:06 PM   #2
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
U-haul lenses

Tom, sorry to say I don't work with Lexan - which is the high impact plastic that lens people use. It's injection molded to get all those grooves in to perform like a prism and disperse the light.

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 05:52 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
Tom, sorry to say I don't work with Lexan - which is the high impact plastic that lens people use. It's injection molded to get all those grooves in to perform like a prism and disperse the light.
I see. How about an adapter to a standard light similar to the aluminum adapter shown above, but designed to use the original 4 screw holes?
Old 06-23-2012, 02:40 PM   #4
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
Adapter is a maybe but..............

Tom, without knowing all the geometry involved I can't build a mold to form an adapter. I have emailed my plastics friends who make larger things (like boat windshields) about the feasability of making the lens. Problem with that will be we would need to come up with a true sample or an official U-Haul dimensioned drawing with the various radii callouts. How big is the lens? (L&W) and if you were to put it on a tabletop with the radius that goes around the corner on top, how high is that?

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 03:17 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
Tom, without knowing all the geometry involved I can't build a mold to form an adapter. I have emailed my plastics friends who make larger things (like boat windshields) about the feasibility of making the lens. Problem with that will be we would need to come up with a true sample or an official U-Haul dimensioned drawing with the various radii callouts. How big is the lens? (L&W) and if you were to put it on a tabletop with the radius that goes around the corner on top, how high is that?
Charlie, thanks for your interest and patience. The lens is 7 inches tall and measures 9.5" in total width, as measured around the curved face. If removed and laid on a table, concave side down, it would be less than 2 " tall.
Old 06-23-2012, 10:47 PM   #6

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Tom,

I recall seeing something a while back where someone had used molds to duplicate lenses. Something was mixed and poured into the mold to set. I don't remember if they were 1 or 2 colour. Might have been on the paid portion of the old Uhaul site.

I wonder if we can get a Moderator to move the bulk of this thread over to Problem Solving?
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote