U-Haul tail lights and window sealing - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 12-20-2013, 10:31 AM   #15
Name: bob
Trailer: 1984 u-haul ct13; 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
I'm aware of the prism details on the inside of those lenses. I doubt a home made lens would ever come to the attention of the DOT unless it was being commercially marketed. If I was to make a lens for my own trailer I'll bet no one would ever notice. The problem with Uhaul tail lights is they are just another place for water to leak in. And those owners that have the storage bin inserts may never be aware of any leak, because the inserts have to be removed to see in that area. As for the Chevy or GMC tail lights, they would have to be mounted into the trailer body, same as the originals. I have a '86 Blazer, about the same light, and the curve is not quite the same. And if you look close at the lights in the link, the lens has a spot for the backup light. Some motor vehicle inspectors will take the attitude that if the light is there, it has to work, so now that would have to be wired in. I have a NY inspection license, so I would be looking for the backup lights to work, but on a camper I would probably ignore it, or suggest it be covered with "the lens repair tape". LOL. I did see some Bargman tail lights that have a similar curve to the GM units that possibly could be adapted into a Uhaul, don't recall if they had the backup lens incorporated. To me originality is nice, but our camper has been modified to suit our needs, and it's not intended as a show piece. Just trying to keep it decent looking and functional.

mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote

light, lights, tail lights, u-haul