Uh-oh, squishy Burro floor - where to get replaced? - Fiberglass RV


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 02-27-2011, 03:23 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
jen b's Avatar
 
Name: jen
Trailer: 1980 13 ft. burro
Pennsylvania
Posts: 848
Registry
Uh-oh, squishy Burro floor - where to get replaced?

I am working on the Burro this weekend with my dad, and when I ripped out the old vinyl sheet flooring and started taking a closer look, I realized there are a couple of significant squishy places. And when I say squishy I mean that when you squeeze the plywood, it is spongy and water squelches out.

Sooooooooo I think the right thing to do is to replace the whole plywood floor because I would like this thing to be in tiptop shape. I am certain the current floor is the 1980 original. I can see several places where water's been getting in around the body, so some patching and window fixing need doing as well.

The thing is, neither I nor my dad are really equipped to do this work. Do you guys have any recommendations for where I can get this done?

I'm figuring I'd like to:
1. get the new floor in,
2. put in new window frames and seals (they're original and leaky),
3. since the egg will be off the frame, might as well get the frame cleaned up/sandblasted and repainted,
4. and, do a little fiberglass patching around a couple of smallish problem areas.

The Burro is currently in Pittsburgh, and we're figuring we can easily take it to somebody within a 400 or so mile radius. I'll talk to the local trailer place where I got the brakes and wiring done, but they're not explicitly RV people and likely have no experience with fiberglass campers. And heck, if any of you handy people are interested in a fix job...I would be pleased to pay somebody here for the work.

Thanks!
__________________

__________________
jen b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 04:09 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Donna D.'s Avatar
 
Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Posts: 24,433
The only place I know that takes on complete restorations in the US is The Egg Plant, but Robert is here in Oregon. You're talking major work here, not for the faint of heart... most wouldn't want to tackle it due to the lack of KSAs (I wouldn't). I would try most anything, but an entire floor... humm probably not.

Have you dried it out completely to find out if only pieces could be replaced? Maybe once dry, it's not as bad as you think? One can only hope....

Anyone have any more info for Jen?
__________________

__________________
Donna D.
Ten Forward - 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Double Yolk - 1988 16' Scamp Deluxe
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 04:19 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Greg H's Avatar
 
Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
Posts: 1,557
400 miles, well from Pittsburgh you can make Alexandria, Ky. There you go a Burro guy right there.
__________________
Greg H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 05:27 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Name: N/A
Trailer: 1985 AND 1988 Casita Patriot Deluxe 13'ers. 10 eggs shy of a carton!
Oregon
Posts: 184
Registry
Be sure to post your progress. I'm sizing up a floor replacement for my 85 Casita. Mine will be more involved, since I also have to tear out the shower pan.

(Actually considering some sort of polymer material rather than glassed-in, marine-grade ply.)
__________________
Michele B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 07:50 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Donna D.'s Avatar
 
Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Posts: 24,433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg H View Post
400 miles, well from Pittsburgh you can make Alexandria, Ky. There you go a Burro guy right there.
Who? Let's document this resource!
__________________
Donna D.
Ten Forward - 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Double Yolk - 1988 16' Scamp Deluxe
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 08:01 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Greg H's Avatar
 
Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
Posts: 1,557
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Who? Let's document this resource!
Donna, that guy that did the Airstream Burro, and now he's doing another Burro. At the rate he's going on this Burro that he just got I think he will be bored soon and need another one to do. I really don't know if he would work on anybody Else's trailer or not.
__________________
Greg H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 08:09 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Donna D.'s Avatar
 
Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Posts: 24,433
Well shoot Greg, I thought you were on to something. Maybe we should clone Robert for the east side of the country
__________________
Donna D.
Ten Forward - 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Double Yolk - 1988 16' Scamp Deluxe
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 08:19 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Greg H's Avatar
 
Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
Posts: 1,557
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Well shoot Greg, I thought you were on to something. Maybe we should clone Robert for the east side of the country
Well while we're cloning, can we get a guy in s.w.Tx that works pro bono?
__________________
Greg H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 06:41 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
Donna D.'s Avatar
 
Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Posts: 24,433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg H View Post
Well while we're cloning, can we get a guy in s.w.Tx that works pro bono?
Are you talking about Larry Gamble? He's the one that's perfected the Valvectomy mod. He and Debbie have opened a store: Little House Customs, Unfortunately I don't see replace Burro floors on the list.
__________________
Donna D.
Ten Forward - 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Double Yolk - 1988 16' Scamp Deluxe
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 09:16 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
jen b's Avatar
 
Name: jen
Trailer: 1980 13 ft. burro
Pennsylvania
Posts: 848
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Have you dried it out completely to find out if only pieces could be replaced? Maybe once dry, it's not as bad as you think? One can only hope....
The spot at the door is so weak I could break it off without a lot of effort, and I think I'd rather get a new floor in now so I don't have to worry about it for another 30 years. We've got almost everything stripped out of the inside for the cosmetic work, so it seems like an advantageous time to send it off to Burro hospital rather than delaying the inevitable.
__________________
jen b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 01:18 PM   #11
Member
 
Trailer: (fiberglass)
Posts: 66
getting the floor fixed

try talking to some local boat dealers and repair places. Most of them will know a good fiberglass man. I know it looks bad, but this is probable something you could do yourself. there are many places to go online to see how it's done.



Quote:
Originally Posted by jen b View Post
I am working on the Burro this weekend with my dad, and when I ripped out the old vinyl sheet flooring and started taking a closer look, I realized there are a couple of significant squishy places. And when I say squishy I mean that when you squeeze the plywood, it is spongy and water squelches out.

Sooooooooo I think the right thing to do is to replace the whole plywood floor because I would like this thing to be in tiptop shape. I am certain the current floor is the 1980 original. I can see several places where water's been getting in around the body, so some patching and window fixing need doing as well.

The thing is, neither I nor my dad are really equipped to do this work. Do you guys have any recommendations for where I can get this done?

I'm figuring I'd like to:
1. get the new floor in,
2. put in new window frames and seals (they're original and leaky),
3. since the egg will be off the frame, might as well get the frame cleaned up/sandblasted and repainted,
4. and, do a little fiberglass patching around a couple of smallish problem areas.

The Burro is currently in Pittsburgh, and we're figuring we can easily take it to somebody within a 400 or so mile radius. I'll talk to the local trailer place where I got the brakes and wiring done, but they're not explicitly RV people and likely have no experience with fiberglass campers. And heck, if any of you handy people are interested in a fix job...I would be pleased to pay somebody here for the work.

Thanks!
__________________
ScottG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 02:58 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
jen b's Avatar
 
Name: jen
Trailer: 1980 13 ft. burro
Pennsylvania
Posts: 848
Registry
Oh, PHEW.

Chatting with some folks further about this, it appears as though Burro floor construction is rather different from the Scamps, Casitas, etc. and that I do not need to go whole hog on a replacement.

This is great news. I can get away with installing a plywood floor inside the camper, over top of the fiberglass floor that is there, and still be utterly structurally sound.

Yes! it's nice to be talked away from the ledge.
__________________
jen b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 04:14 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
Greg H's Avatar
 
Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
Posts: 1,557
Well goody goody, that's probably what I would have done anyway.
__________________
Greg H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 07:00 PM   #14
Moderator
 
Matt in SV's Avatar
 
Name: Matt
Trailer: U-Haul VT16, Escape 19
California
Posts: 987
Registry
Typically you'd First drill a bunch of holes to let the floor dry out thoroughly. The quality of the wood coming out of the holes will give you some idea how far the damp has progressed to rot. There are penetrating epoxies like CPES you can inject if the floor isn't too far gone.


CPES™-Wood based epoxy products to repair and resist wood rot.

Wood preservation, rot repair, and restoration using epoxy resin on boats, homes and log homes.

Regards,

Matt
__________________

__________________
Planning our next Escape!
Matt in SV is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
burro


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
13' Burro Floor Scott B. Modifications, Alterations and Updates 15 08-03-2009 10:11 AM
My '82 Burro needs floor fixed or replaced, I need advise MikeCM Modifications, Alterations and Updates 5 03-11-2009 05:28 PM
New floor for Burro Myron Leski Modifications, Alterations and Updates 14 05-14-2006 05:29 PM
Burro Floor Rot laura dawn Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 20 12-17-2005 02:38 PM
13' Burro Floor Mark Hutton General Chat 0 12-31-1969 07:00 PM

» Trailer Showcase

Betty Beach

danio

Junior

JenPB
» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:50 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.