Uhaul 13' windows -- repair or replace? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 04-13-2009, 11:40 PM   #15

Trailer: 1977 Boler
Search for eBay seller "callencampers" as they have lots of windows plus in my case they custom made them.

Old 04-23-2009, 02:00 PM   #16

Trailer: U-Haul CT13
Quote:
Search for eBay seller "callencampers" as they have lots of windows plus in my case they custom made them.
Here you go, two sites to contact them

http://www.callencamper.com/

http://shop.ebay.com/merchant/callencamper...QQ_fromZQQ_mdoZ

Old 04-23-2009, 08:05 PM   #17

Trailer: 1984 U-Haul 13 ft
Upstate New York (near Albany)
Smile

My Uhaul is currently at an rv place to have my windows resealed & installed again (hopfully they'll do it right with butyl tape & not that nasty silicone). They are supposed to install new gaskets. If they are done correctly when I pick it up, I will post on this site & Uhaulcamper site the source of the gasket materials. Please wish me luck, as I'm so tired of these leaky windows. They're a pain to install unless you have a lot of patience (been there -tried one-thought it was laced correctly, then the gasket shrunk).
Old 04-23-2009, 08:19 PM   #18

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT / 2004 GMC Safari
Patty,

If it's any help, the former owner of my trailer said they removed all the windows and resealed them - yet, my Emergency window 'seeps' during a hard rain storm....Ok, Ok, I admit, I've tried to caulk it, but it still "seeps" sometimes, but not all the time...not enough to make me rip it out..
That one is the only one that leaks 'just a bit'...

Good luck with your re-do...

Will you be attending the rally on Lake Erie this September? I'd love to go to another fiberglass rally and have some "Uhaul" company..
Old 04-23-2009, 08:24 PM   #19

Trailer: U-Haul VT16 1985
The all-rubber window seals (channels) that fit the UHauls are part # AS1268, available here:

http://www.perfectfit.com/15594/156059/Gla...ked-Lining.html

Ami
Old 04-23-2009, 08:41 PM   #20

Quote:
Patty,

If it's any help, the former owner of my trailer said they removed all the windows and resealed them - yet, my Emergency window 'seeps' during a hard rain storm....Ok, Ok, I admit, I've tried to caulk it, but it still "seeps" sometimes, but not all the time...not enough to make me rip it out..
That one is the only one that leaks 'just a bit'...

Good luck with your re-do...

Will you be attending the rally on Lake Erie this September? I'd love to go to another fiberglass rally and have some "Uhaul" company..
Hi Carolyn,

It sounds like it would be fun, but I don't think I can get the time off. If I can have the time off from work, Ill PM you.
Old 04-23-2009, 08:45 PM   #21

Trailer: U-Haul CT13
Quote:
The all-rubber window seals (channels) that fit the UHauls are part # AS1268, available here:

Ami
Ami, Sorry to hear about your blowout, and glad that it wasn't worse. I appreciate the part info, but if you had time to comment on what it was like to actually do the window repair, I would really appreciate it. I just dropped my trailer onto a seasonal site where I'll finish most of the work it needs. Windows are job #1, and I'm still researching the right solution. Can you elaborate on the tools & techniques that worked for you?
Thanks in advance,
Julia
Old 04-23-2009, 09:28 PM   #22

Julia,
Kevin61, a member on this site has a video re window repair, including the tools needed. The job takes a little skill. If you decide against doing it yourself, I suggest getting the parts and calling a mobile auto window guy.
Ami
Old 04-24-2009, 11:39 AM   #23

Quote:

Ami
Thanks, Ami
Old 04-24-2009, 05:38 PM   #24

Name: Rachel
Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Ami,

Is that part the channel that the window panes "ride" in, or the seal that goes between the whole window and the body of the trailer. I'm thinking you said it was the seal, but it looks more like the sort of brushy stuff that the windows would ride in

Thanks ahead for clarifying,

Raya
Old 04-24-2009, 08:22 PM   #25

Raya,
It is the same thing. The original Uhaul channel had a metal core which eventually rusted, producing ugly stain-runs on the gelcoat when rain water drained from the natural weep holes. The AS1268 all-rubber channel is better, more flexible, no rust and it's reasonably priced. - Ami
Old 04-24-2009, 09:23 PM   #26

Name: Rachel
Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Oh, so the same piece is used for the channel and the seal around the windows (that holds them into the trailer)? Huh, I never would have guessed that. I still don't see how that can "grip" both the glass and the fiberglass walls of the trailer though - I was expecting to see more of an "H" shape.

But I do see a U-haul in your avatar , and it sounds like you've used it.

Thanks

Raya
Old 04-24-2009, 10:38 PM   #27

I don't think it is what you call "the seal" that seals the window frame to the fiberglass cutout. I have never removed the window frame. The "channel" seal is part AS1268 and the glass moves laterally or vertically in it and it is placed between the edges of the glass and the window frame. The material that seals the frame to the cutout is putty, epoxy sealer, silicone, etc.
Ami
Old 04-25-2009, 04:27 PM   #28

Trailer: Casita 16 ft 1984 and U-Haul CT13 1985
Registry
Quote:
... I have never removed the window frame. The "channel" seal is part AS1268 and the glass moves laterally or vertically in it and it is placed between the edges of the glass and the window frame.
Hi Ami,

I love the thought of replacing the channel seal without removing the windows / window frame! Did you just press the channel seal into place or did you first add a little sealant/adhesive to the bottom of the channel seal or window frame?

Jeanne

Tags
u-haul, uhaul, windows