Uhaul 13' windows -- repair or replace? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-23-2009, 07:45 PM   #21

Trailer: U-Haul CT13
Quote:
The all-rubber window seals (channels) that fit the UHauls are part # AS1268, available here:

http://www.perfectfit.com/15594/156059/Gla...ked-Lining.html

Ami
Ami, Sorry to hear about your blowout, and glad that it wasn't worse. I appreciate the part info, but if you had time to comment on what it was like to actually do the window repair, I would really appreciate it. I just dropped my trailer onto a seasonal site where I'll finish most of the work it needs. Windows are job #1, and I'm still researching the right solution. Can you elaborate on the tools & techniques that worked for you?
Thanks in advance,
Julia
Julia O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 08:28 PM   #22

Trailer: U-Haul VT16 1985
Julia,
Kevin61, a member on this site has a video re window repair, including the tools needed. The job takes a little skill. If you decide against doing it yourself, I suggest getting the parts and calling a mobile auto window guy.
Ami
Ami P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 10:39 AM   #23

Trailer: 1984 U-Haul 13 ft
Quote:
The all-rubber window seals (channels) that fit the UHauls are part # AS1268, available here:

http://www.perfectfit.com/15594/156059/Gla...ked-Lining.html

Ami
Thanks, Ami
Patty S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 04:38 PM   #24

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Ami,

Is that part the channel that the window panes "ride" in, or the seal that goes between the whole window and the body of the trailer. I'm thinking you said it was the seal, but it looks more like the sort of brushy stuff that the windows would ride in

Thanks ahead for clarifying,

Raya
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 07:22 PM   #25

Raya,
It is the same thing. The original Uhaul channel had a metal core which eventually rusted, producing ugly stain-runs on the gelcoat when rain water drained from the natural weep holes. The AS1268 all-rubber channel is better, more flexible, no rust and it's reasonably priced. - Ami
Old 04-24-2009, 08:23 PM   #26

Oh, so the same piece is used for the channel and the seal around the windows (that holds them into the trailer)? Huh, I never would have guessed that. I still don't see how that can "grip" both the glass and the fiberglass walls of the trailer though - I was expecting to see more of an "H" shape.

But I do see a U-haul in your avatar , and it sounds like you've used it.

Thanks

Raya
Old 04-24-2009, 09:38 PM   #27

I don't think it is what you call "the seal" that seals the window frame to the fiberglass cutout. I have never removed the window frame. The "channel" seal is part AS1268 and the glass moves laterally or vertically in it and it is placed between the edges of the glass and the window frame. The material that seals the frame to the cutout is putty, epoxy sealer, silicone, etc.
Ami
Old 04-25-2009, 03:27 PM   #28

Trailer: Casita 16 ft 1984 and U-Haul CT13 1985
Registry
Quote:
... I have never removed the window frame. The "channel" seal is part AS1268 and the glass moves laterally or vertically in it and it is placed between the edges of the glass and the window frame.
Hi Ami,

I love the thought of replacing the channel seal without removing the windows / window frame! Did you just press the channel seal into place or did you first add a little sealant/adhesive to the bottom of the channel seal or window frame?

Jeanne
Jeanne and Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 06:38 PM   #29

Quote:
The "channel" seal is part AS1268 and the glass moves laterally or vertically in it and it is placed between the edges of the glass and the window frame. The material that seals the frame to the cutout is putty, epoxy sealer, silicone, etc.
Ami
Okay, I understand that. The part looked like channel to me, with the furry bits, and I couldn't figure out how it could be the outer seal.

The U-hauls I've seen (granted only two and they were 13's) looked like they had rubber around the edges holding the window in to the body. Kind of like a smaller version of the front/rear Boler window seal (not sure if it had lock strip, but the same idea of rubber lips). The rubber was a bit deteriorated and I did some Internet searching to see about potentially replacing it, and never found a part number for that piece.

Raya
Old 04-25-2009, 09:03 PM   #30

Trailer: U-Haul CT13
Quote:
Okay, I understand that. The part looked like channel to me, with the furry bits, and I couldn't figure out how it could be the outer seal.

The U-hauls I've seen (granted only two and they were 13's) looked like they had rubber around the edges holding the window in to the body. Kind of like a smaller version of the front/rear Boler window seal (not sure if it had lock strip, but the same idea of rubber lips). The rubber was a bit deteriorated and I did some Internet searching to see about potentially replacing it, and never found a part number for that piece.

Raya
Thanks, Raya, for pointing this out -- I wasn't very articulate in my description of my window problem. That external rubber lip around each window is decomposing and I've only found info about replacing the window's guts -- it's been confusing. To fix my windows, I'd have to replace the rubber on both sides of the metal frame.

Not to mention the furry strip between the sliders that is falling apart, along with a light rubber squeegee piece that is rotting . . . and two cracked handle/lock thing-ys.

So, has anyone replaced the outside of the window frame's rubber --between the fiberglass and the metal window frame? If so, care to advise? If you have an old Uhaul and you haven't replaced that rubber . . . what's your secret? Does it still look ok? What is the life expectancy of rubber, anyway?

Thanks in advance!
Julia O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 10:12 PM   #31

Quote:
Hi Ami,

I love the thought of replacing the channel seal without removing the windows / window frame! Did you just press the channel seal into place or did you first add a little sealant/adhesive to the bottom of the channel seal or window frame?

Jeanne
The channel seal is done without any glue, just press it into place. It can be done with two screwdrivers but it is much easier to use a sealing tool (described and displayed in Kevin61 video

Ami
Old 04-26-2009, 02:36 PM   #32

Trailer: Casita 16 ft 1984 and U-Haul CT13 1985
Registry
Quote:
The channel seal is done without any glue, just press it into place. It can be done with two screwdrivers but it is much easier to use a sealing tool (described and displayed in Kevin61 video
Ami
Thanks Ami!

Jeanne
Jeanne and Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 02:46 PM   #33

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
We removed the plexiglass windows in our Burro and had tempered glass installed
Greg N is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
u-haul, uhaul, windows