uhaul - Fiberglass RV


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 09-23-2006, 06:58 PM   #1
Member
 
Trailer: R-pod (by Forest River)
Posts: 42
I have a 16 ft uhaul vt. It has a privacy room with a sink and a porti potty. Has anyone ever modified one of this and installed a flush toilet with the attached holing tank? I think that it would be fairly easy, just move the sink to the other side and put the unit on the side where the sink is now. The water line would be there and all that one would need to do is connect the unit to a cleanout for the outside. A larger pump with a switch would be necessary but even that isn't really a problem. Need input please.
__________________

__________________
Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 07:04 PM   #2
Member
 
Trailer: R-pod (by Forest River)
Posts: 42

[ATTACH][/ATTACH]
pic of the privacy room
__________________

__________________
Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 02:07 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Brian B-P's Avatar
 
Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Alberta
Posts: 5,000
The holding tank (or "black" tank) for a conventional RV toilet could be under the floor, but I think in our trailers it is usually the arrangment like my 17' Boler: the toilet mounts on top of the tank, which in turn sits on top of the floor. That means the tank isn't very high or wide, so to make the tank big enough, it usually extends beyond the area directly under the toilet; in my case, it goes forward under the dinette seat. I don't know if the floorplan of the 16' U-Haul would allow this, since I've never seen one.

An alternative is a cassette toilet, in which the tank is small and slides out like a drawer, to be emptied like a portable unit's base. It has the advantage (over a portable unit) of being permanently installed and connected to the water supply, and having the cassette tank accessible from the outside via a door (no carrying the tank through the interior); unfortnately, I think that door assumes a flat wall, which U-Hauls don't have.
__________________
1979 Boler B1700RGH, pulled by 2004 Toyota Sienna LE 2WD
Information is good. Lack of information is not so good, but misinformation is much worse. Check facts, and apply common sense liberally.
STATUS: No longer active in forum.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 09:17 AM   #4
Member
 
Trailer: R-pod (by Forest River)
Posts: 42
Quote:
The holding tank (or "black" tank) for a conventional RV toilet could be under the floor, but I think in our trailers it is usually the arrangment like my 17' Boler: the toilet mounts on top of the tank, which in turn sits on top of the floor. That means the tank isn't very high or wide, so to make the tank big enough, it usually extends beyond the area directly under the toilet; in my case, it goes forward under the dinette seat. I don't know if the floorplan of the 16' U-Haul would allow this, since I've never seen one.

An alternative is a cassette toilet, in which the tank is small and slides out like a drawer, to be emptied like a portable unit's base. It has the advantage (over a portable unit) of being permanently installed and connected to the water supply, and having the cassette tank accessible from the outside via a door (no carrying the tank through the interior); unfortnately, I think that door assumes a flat wall, which U-Hauls don't have.
Thanks there is an area under the front dinette seat. All of this is just my brain working overtime lol. My husband says we are fine the way we are. Just camp close to a restroom.
__________________
Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 11:18 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Trailer: 1985 17 ft Burro
Posts: 134
We just installed a bathroom in our 17' widebody Burro. We took a 32" round fiberglass shower stall, installed it across from door, expanded it by 8" and placed a Sealand Traveler toilet inside. We now have a shower and flushing, china toilet. Love it! I bought the Sealand Traveler on Ebay and did not know that there was a choice of 9 gallon tanks...gravity discharge or pump out. The head I bought was for marine use and had the pump out. I was not comfortable cutting a hole in the polyethylene tank so we purchased and installed a macerator pump and the whole system works like a charm.

I will add pics sometime later once I get them organized.

Hope this helps,
Donna
__________________
D Shubel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 05:27 PM   #6
Member
 
Trailer: R-pod (by Forest River)
Posts: 42
Quote:
We just installed a bathroom in our 17' widebody Burro. We took a 32" round fiberglass shower stall, installed it across from door, expanded it by 8" and placed a Sealand Traveler toilet inside. We now have a shower and flushing, china toilet. Love it! I bought the Sealand Traveler on Ebay and did not know that there was a choice of 9 gallon tanks...gravity discharge or pump out. The head I bought was for marine use and had the pump out. I was not comfortable cutting a hole in the polyethylene tank so we purchased and installed a macerator pump and the whole system works like a charm.

I will add pics sometime later once I get them organized.

Hope this helps,
Donna
Sounds great I will watch for the pics no hurry whenever is ok. Thanks Maggie
__________________
Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 10:31 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Trailer: 84 16 ft Scamp
Posts: 725
Its also pretty much a given that when you buy "marine" stuff, you get what you pay for.

We installed a marine head in an old Streamline years ago. It had a built-in mascerating pump and pumped into a tank that I mounted just behnd the commode. It also worked like a charm. I should have removed it before I sold the Streamline.
__________________
Loren G. Hedahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 11:31 PM   #8
Moderator
 
Gina D.'s Avatar
 
Name: Gina D.
Trailer: '77 Leocraft 17 & Former Burro owner and fan!
West Coast USA
Posts: 9,016
Registry
I am not sitting exposed on anything that mascerates.

I have no idea what that means, but it sounds painful.
__________________
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 02:56 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Brian B-P's Avatar
 
Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Alberta
Posts: 5,000
Quote:
I am not sitting exposed on anything that mascerates.

I have no idea what that means, but it sounds painful.
It means exactly what you are afraid of, but it only does it to stuff in the bottom of the tank, which hopefully does not include any people parts!
__________________
1979 Boler B1700RGH, pulled by 2004 Toyota Sienna LE 2WD
Information is good. Lack of information is not so good, but misinformation is much worse. Check facts, and apply common sense liberally.
STATUS: No longer active in forum.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 08:08 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
Roger H's Avatar
 
Name: Roger
Trailer: Y2K6 Born Free 32RQ on the Kodiak chassis, 1995 Coachmen 19' B-van and 1996 Precision 21' Sailboat
Iowa
Posts: 5,000
Gina, just think of it as a blender... and you... uh... well... it... uh... ummm... anyway, just think of it as a blender that totally liquifies the end product. You get the idea.

Rog
__________________
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 10:40 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
Name: Per
Trailer: 2000 Burro 17 ft Widebody towed by Touareg TDI
Oregon
Posts: 863
Registry
I use a mascerator to dump at home, but it attaches directly to the drain valve. It seems far enough from the business end of the toilet to be safe, but it does make an ordinary blender seem like a 90 pound weakling. You have created an unfortunate picture in my mind for the next time I use it, Gina.
__________________
Per Walthinsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 09:34 PM   #12
Moderator
 
Frederick L. Simson's Avatar
 
Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
California
Posts: 8,151
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
I am not sitting exposed on anything that mascerates.

I have no idea what that means, but it sounds painful.
Hopefully, one cannot sit and mascerate at the same time.
__________________

__________________
Frederick - The Scaleman
1978 Fiber Stream 16 named "Eggstasy" & 1971 Compact Jr. named "Boomerang"
Frederick L. Simson is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
u-haul, uhaul


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1984 13 ft. UHaul Terry R. Classified Archives 14 03-08-2010 08:33 AM
Our new UHaul CindyL Modifications, Alterations and Updates 36 05-30-2007 10:56 PM
13 Ft. UHaul For Sale LYeater Classified Archives 2 12-17-2006 03:12 PM
UHaul 13'er Lance M C Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 9 08-13-2006 12:36 AM
13' UHaul Lance M C Modifications, Alterations and Updates 3 08-06-2006 10:03 AM

» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:14 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.