uhaul - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-23-2006, 05:58 PM   #1

Trailer: R-pod (by Forest River)
I have a 16 ft uhaul vt. It has a privacy room with a sink and a porti potty. Has anyone ever modified one of this and installed a flush toilet with the attached holing tank? I think that it would be fairly easy, just move the sink to the other side and put the unit on the side where the sink is now. The water line would be there and all that one would need to do is connect the unit to a cleanout for the outside. A larger pump with a switch would be necessary but even that isn't really a problem. Need input please.
Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 06:04 PM   #2

[ATTACH][/ATTACH]
pic of the privacy room
Old 09-24-2006, 01:07 AM   #3

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
The holding tank (or "black" tank) for a conventional RV toilet could be under the floor, but I think in our trailers it is usually the arrangment like my 17' Boler: the toilet mounts on top of the tank, which in turn sits on top of the floor. That means the tank isn't very high or wide, so to make the tank big enough, it usually extends beyond the area directly under the toilet; in my case, it goes forward under the dinette seat. I don't know if the floorplan of the 16' U-Haul would allow this, since I've never seen one.

An alternative is a cassette toilet, in which the tank is small and slides out like a drawer, to be emptied like a portable unit's base. It has the advantage (over a portable unit) of being permanently installed and connected to the water supply, and having the cassette tank accessible from the outside via a door (no carrying the tank through the interior); unfortnately, I think that door assumes a flat wall, which U-Hauls don't have.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 08:17 AM   #4

Quote:
The holding tank (or "black" tank) for a conventional RV toilet could be under the floor, but I think in our trailers it is usually the arrangment like my 17' Boler: the toilet mounts on top of the tank, which in turn sits on top of the floor. That means the tank isn't very high or wide, so to make the tank big enough, it usually extends beyond the area directly under the toilet; in my case, it goes forward under the dinette seat. I don't know if the floorplan of the 16' U-Haul would allow this, since I've never seen one.

An alternative is a cassette toilet, in which the tank is small and slides out like a drawer, to be emptied like a portable unit's base. It has the advantage (over a portable unit) of being permanently installed and connected to the water supply, and having the cassette tank accessible from the outside via a door (no carrying the tank through the interior); unfortnately, I think that door assumes a flat wall, which U-Hauls don't have.
Thanks there is an area under the front dinette seat. All of this is just my brain working overtime lol. My husband says we are fine the way we are. Just camp close to a restroom.
Old 09-25-2006, 10:18 AM   #5

Trailer: 1985 17 ft Burro
We just installed a bathroom in our 17' widebody Burro. We took a 32" round fiberglass shower stall, installed it across from door, expanded it by 8" and placed a Sealand Traveler toilet inside. We now have a shower and flushing, china toilet. Love it! I bought the Sealand Traveler on Ebay and did not know that there was a choice of 9 gallon tanks...gravity discharge or pump out. The head I bought was for marine use and had the pump out. I was not comfortable cutting a hole in the polyethylene tank so we purchased and installed a macerator pump and the whole system works like a charm.

I will add pics sometime later once I get them organized.

Hope this helps,
Donna
D Shubel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 04:27 PM   #6

Quote:
We just installed a bathroom in our 17' widebody Burro. We took a 32" round fiberglass shower stall, installed it across from door, expanded it by 8" and placed a Sealand Traveler toilet inside. We now have a shower and flushing, china toilet. Love it! I bought the Sealand Traveler on Ebay and did not know that there was a choice of 9 gallon tanks...gravity discharge or pump out. The head I bought was for marine use and had the pump out. I was not comfortable cutting a hole in the polyethylene tank so we purchased and installed a macerator pump and the whole system works like a charm.

I will add pics sometime later once I get them organized.

Hope this helps,
Donna
Sounds great I will watch for the pics no hurry whenever is ok. Thanks Maggie
Old 09-25-2006, 09:31 PM   #7

Trailer: 84 16 ft Scamp
Its also pretty much a given that when you buy "marine" stuff, you get what you pay for.

We installed a marine head in an old Streamline years ago. It had a built-in mascerating pump and pumped into a tank that I mounted just behnd the commode. It also worked like a charm. I should have removed it before I sold the Streamline.
Loren G. Hedahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 10:31 PM   #8

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
I am not sitting exposed on anything that mascerates.

I have no idea what that means, but it sounds painful.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 01:56 PM   #9

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:

It means exactly what you are afraid of, but it only does it to stuff in the bottom of the tank, which hopefully does not include any people parts!
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 07:08 AM   #10

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Gina, just think of it as a blender... and you... uh... well... it... uh... ummm... anyway, just think of it as a blender that totally liquifies the end product. You get the idea.

Rog
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 09:40 AM   #11

Trailer: Burro 17 ft Widebody
Registry
I use a mascerator to dump at home, but it attaches directly to the drain valve. It seems far enough from the business end of the toilet to be safe, but it does make an ordinary blender seem like a 90 pound weakling. You have created an unfortunate picture in my mind for the next time I use it, Gina.
Per Walthinsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 08:34 PM   #12

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:

Hopefully, one cannot sit and mascerate at the same time.

Tags
u-haul, uhaul