Uhaul CT-13 sink/facet question - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-08-2010, 03:50 AM   #1

Name: James
Trailer: Uhaul CT-13
Ohio
Registry
Uhaul CT-13 sink/facet question

This may be a totally stupid newb question but......My CT-13 has the original facet, it is either a manual pump or when pulled back runs a battery operated water pump. I hooked up the water from the feed at the campground and went in to test the facet, to my surprise neither the hand pump or 12 volt water pump made any water appear in the sink

Upon further inspection, i did not even see a flow of water filling the water line, I am fairly sure there are no blockages, the water line under the sink is clear re-inforced poly line and the system has a pressure regulator built into the camper and one threaded onto the end of the water line as well, I removed the secondary pressure regulator and still had no luck, what am I doing wrong? PS I did not fill and test the internal tank because I really didn't have the need on this trip, but I would like to know why the hard line from the campground did not work

Please don't tell me it was as simple as pushing the facet handle the other way
Panoz77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 05:27 AM   #2

Trailer: 1985 U-Haul CT13 ft ('The Mothball')
I have never hooked up to the water at the campground, we cleaned out our tank with bleach and used that. I will share my experience.

Is the faucet original original? By that I mean 25 years old? Ours was and didn't work either, actually worse than that - it leaked like you wouldn't believe under the sink which we did not notice until a pile of water built up and we fried our sink pump. Yes that was a really bad day.....
Anyhow when we took it apart the inner gasket was totally shot - really. There is a place on line that sells the faucet (40 I think) or just parts to refill (25 I think) - sorry I don't remember the link but I found it in these forums. If yours is as old as mine I would just replace the whole thing as it was a total mess in there. I bought mine for quite a bit more at our local rv shop as we were heading out camping right away. It looks exactly the same on the outside but wow - what a difference on the inside! And it works.

Of course it could be that your connections aren't tight enough somewhere... or something I don't even know about. Others will add their knowledge no doubt.

Bridget
Bridget T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 05:40 AM   #3

Ohio
Registry
I know the former owner said the facet works, I'm just not sure how the facet works when hooked up to a pressured water source.
Old 09-08-2010, 06:30 PM   #4

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
Registry
  • When you're hooked up to pressurized City water, you're supposed to be able to pull up on the lever and that will open a spring loaded valve.
  • Pushing down all the way is supposed to close a set of contacts and energize the pump motor. If the pump isn't running, it's corroded contacts, or possibly the wiring or pump.
  • Pumping up and down is supposed to stretch a rubber membrane in the body of the pump that will move a little water with every stroke. I believe there iis typically an inline valve so you don't have to pull water all the way up from the tank after the first operation.

The problem is that the gasket has paper in it, the valve spring for the city water and the pump contacts both corrode and the whole thing gets pretty yucky inside after a decade or two. There's a reubuild kit but it's probably a better idea to replace the whole thing. Even my mounting screws were pretty rusty.

The part you want is a triple action hand pump from Leisure Components. You can get them for about $30 at Leisure Components Triple Action Hand Pump]Tweety's I believe I did find a slightly lower price somewhere, but not a whole lot cheaper. Be sure not to get the "Low Boy" model unless you want to do some additional clearancing. Most of the pump body sits below the countertop.

You can get your choice of colonial and polar white at Makarios RV (You probably want Colonial)
https://www.makariosrv.com/brands/LE...OMPONENTS.html
Old 09-08-2010, 06:54 PM   #5

Ohio
Registry
I think the problem is that I didn't pull forward to release the spring loaded valve, I figured that was the case after the fact, I'll test it at home this weekend, thanks.
Old 09-09-2010, 06:49 PM   #6

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panoz77 View Post
I think the problem is that I didn't pull forward to release the spring loaded valve, I figured that was the case after the fact, I'll test it at home this weekend, thanks.
Sorry I may have had that backwards, as mine never did work and I sussed it out by breaking the thing open. The adventurerv.net site says,

Two positions; UP activates electric demand pump, DOWN delivers city water.

Regards,

Matt
Old 09-09-2010, 07:13 PM   #7

Ohio
Registry
Right, gotcha, I only pulled to operate the electric pump, I didn't push forward, thanks!
Old 09-09-2010, 07:26 PM   #8

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
Wow, I didnt know that they came with anything other than hand pumps! Mine only has the original hand pump which works great. However, my hose hookup leaks like a sieve, so have not used it.
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 12:57 PM   #9

Trailer: 1984 U-Haul / 02 Mazda pick up
On my 84 there is no electric pump. Pulling the handle back and forth pumps water from the tank. PUSHING down on the handle lets water from the spigot come out.

Sorry, but I told you so.
Bud Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
u-haul, uhaul