UHaul CT Spare Tire - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-25-2012, 08:35 PM   #1

Name: Jane and Greg
Trailer: 1985 Uhaul CT
South Carolina
UHaul CT Spare Tire

Sorry, I know I saw this information somewhere on FGRV, but can't find it. We need to purchase a spare tire. Can someone give us the specs, rim size and tire size and where best place to buy? Thanks for being patient with new owners. Jane and Greg. 1985 UHaul CT
Jane SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 09:03 PM   #2

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Uhaul wheels are almost impossible to get, we were lucky to get one from another Uhaul owner who had an extra. They are 13" with a 5 on 4 3/4 bolt circle, and have a large offset. I have yet to find a correct rim to use as a spare for our vintage teardrop camper so I just carry an unmounted tire. I put new tires on our Uhaul right after we bought it to lessen the possibility of a flat tire. There was some discussion about what wheels would fit the CT Uhauls but I couldn't find it just doing a quick search. If you go to the home page here where all the different trailers are listed at the top, click on Uhaul, and all the threads relating to Uhaul trailers will come up. I know there was some discussion on this subject since we bought our trailer, and that was last August. It was mentioned that the later model Chevy Corvair wheels may fit. That 4 3/4 bolt circle is kind of odd, I've only found it in a 15" wheel. Bob
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 10:06 PM   #3

New York
After thinking about this for awhile, I remember there was discussion of how to get a wheel from Uhaul, maybe even a part number. It may not be exactly the same but will fit. Unless someone here can locate that thread, you may have to look through the last six months of Uhaul discussions. Bob
Old 01-26-2012, 01:25 AM   #4

Name: Dave
Trailer: ,Bigfoot 25 foot plus Surfside 14 foot
British Columbia
If it is, in fact, a 5 holes on a 4 3/4 inch bolt circle, that is the bolt pattern for "old Chevrolet" wheels, so any kind of hotrod speedshop should be able to get you a wheel. If they can't, just go to the next speed shop as the first one is somewhat more the opposite of "ept

If you need a lot of offset and you need that pattern - virtually any speedshop, including the on-line ones should be able to help.

Take one of your existing wheels in and ask them to measure the offset and confirm the bolt pattern, then order up a "'mag wheel" with that spec. Order two, put them on the trailer for dress-up and put one of the originals as spares.
BCDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 08:00 AM   #5

New York
I just did a google search for "uhaul wheels" and found a link to a thread here from 2009. It gave a uhaul part # 23516006. Go on the uhaul truck parts website, you can contact them through there and ask about availability. I bought a set of hubs and a couple lights from them. The wheels are not listed under the camper parts section and may not be listed on there at all. If you have a big Uhaul location that does repairs near you, they may be able to help, and that depends on who you talk to and if they want to bother.The problem with these wheels is the bolt pattern, the offset and the width, and it all comes together for proper clearance in the wheel wells. Bob
Old 01-26-2012, 08:01 AM   #6

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Wheel part # is 2351- 6006
Tire is a 175/70/13 (or 6.50x13) load range C trailer tire

This information is here on this site if you go to

• Document Center on home page (left column)
  • Trailer Brand Manufacturer
  • UHaul
  • UHaul Wheels
Thomas G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 01:06 PM   #7

New York
We are using Carlisle Sport Trail tires size ST185/80D13
Old 01-26-2012, 01:34 PM   #8

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
If you buy a new rim, I recommend that you buy two and use them as your main ones and then use one of the main ones as your spare. The new rims are not the same as the old ones. We have them that we bought from our friendly, neighborhood Uhaul dealership (not all of them are friendly and will do that. I know someone who was accused of stealing his camper). They fit but are different than the original ones. We have a set of the original hub caps and can't fit them on these new rims.

CindyL
CindyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 01:39 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyL View Post
......... We have a set of the original hubs and can't fit them on these new rims.

CindyL
Cindy,

Do mean hubs or hub caps?
Old 01-26-2012, 02:14 PM   #10

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
Sorry, I meant hub caps. I edited that posting. Thanks.

CindyL
CindyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 05:48 PM   #11

Name: Dave
Trailer: ,Bigfoot 25 foot plus Surfside 14 foot
British Columbia
About 15 seconds worth of googling came up with the result that rims for a Corvair should fit. PLEASE double check before running out & buying them......

Also all Chev pickups from 1949 to 1959 used that bolt pattern, but wheels were usually either a 15 inch or a 16 inch. However custom wheels to fit that pattern are available
BCDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 05:58 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCDave View Post
About 15 seconds worth of googling came up with the result that rims for a Corvair should fit. PLEASE double check before running out & buying them......

Also all Chev pickups from 1949 to 1959 used that bolt pattern, but wheels were usually either a 15 inch or a 16 inch. However custom wheels to fit that pattern are available
I believe that Corvair rims have a 1" positive offset vs UHaul 1 7/8" positive offset, so you'd have to watch the wheelhouse clearance.
Old 01-26-2012, 07:36 PM   #13

New York
I would think a corvair rim would work as a spare with a narrow tire, it's just intended as a spare anyway. I found a couple corvair rims on ebay a fewmonths ago, supposedly the later model ones. I contacted the seller to verify the 4 3/4 bolt circle, the reply was that it was a 4 1/2 bolt circle. Looking up brake drums for the later corvairs showed they were 4 3/4. Either the seller didn't know what rims he had, or he didn't know how to measure them. There are tools to do this. I've been looking at the swap meets for a 15" rim with the 4 3/4 bolt circle as a spare for our teardrop. I have a wheel adapter I take with me, makes the measuring part easy.
Old 01-26-2012, 08:06 PM   #14

OP - I'd run out the string with UHaul to see if they have a rim to sell. If indeed they still use this rim on other rental trailers, there must be some out there. Various dealers around the country seem to have all kinds of parts squirreled away.
Old 02-02-2012, 05:01 AM   #15

Name: Jane and Greg
Trailer: 1985 Uhaul CT
South Carolina
Hi to all that responded to our request to help us with our rim/spare tire quest. We think we found one. Jim, the UHaul storage manager for the storage area that we keep Paddy at introduced us to a UHaul parts rep that delivered one to us that he had in his shop. The rim seems to be same size, the tire a bit bigger, but at least if we have a flat we can limp somewhere on it. Bottom line, talk to every UHaul contact and they get excited about the little vintage campers!
Jane SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 06:46 AM   #16

New York
Tires are easy to get, it's the rim that can be difficult to find. Just be sure it will fit and have enough clearance in the wheel well. Next issue is, where do you carry it on a trip. I thought about on the rear bumper, but that's aluminum and we have a bike rack on the rear anyway. The way the propane tank is mounted on the front didn't make it easy to locate it there either. By mounting a narrow tire on the rim it fits in the spare tire well in our Honda CRV, the Honda has the outside mounted spare so the inside space was empty. Glad you found that spare, asking around can have good results.
Old 02-02-2012, 10:37 AM   #17

Trailer: Bigfoot Silver Cloud -1988
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
Regarding the spare on the aluminum bumper... We have had ours mounted there for 5 years now with no visible damage to the bumper. That aluminum is really thick!
Kevin A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 03:55 PM   #18

New York
Kevin, It certainly is a heavy bumper. I wanted to point out that it is aluminum in case someone tried to weld to it. I wasn't aware of the bumpers being aluminum until another member here told me because ours is painted. That's the great thing about this forum, lots of help & info.Do you have any photos or description on how your spare is mounted. Bob

Tags
uhaul