Uhaul roof leak and hull question - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-31-2010, 04:45 PM   #1

Trailer: U-Haul CT13
Uhaul roof leak and hull question

I hope this isn't a duplicate post- I looked but didn't find one-

My Uhaul CT13 has a leak and I cant find the source. The top of the closet is wet- I reach my fingers inbetween the ceiling double hull inside the closet and the it's wet- I guessed it was from the Fantatic Fan but I've pulled the carpet back exposing the ceiling and it's pretty dry around the fan and pretty dry under the solar panel. Also, I'm a bit confused about the double hull- can someone explain how the double hull is put together in the Uhaul-I see internal hull seems to end on either side of the fan leaving the outter hull (under the carpet liner)as the main ceiling. Am I looking at this right? Also can someone explain why I dont see the seam of the outter hull that should run down the inside of the hull (under the carpet liner) Is it fiberglassed over on the inside?
My leak is also running down the sides inbetween the hulls to the lowest point of the trailer (under the front sofa) -do the running lights ever need new gaskets?- I'm befuddled
Lynne VDK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 05:40 PM   #2

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
Registry
The outer hull folds up into that shark fin that runs the length of the camper under the Tremlok. The inner hull joins flat under the carpet strip. Your leak is probably at the fan. Anything leaking around there would probably wick around, run down the inside hole a ways and drip on the closet, which is actually an inset in the inner hull.

If you're curious you could pull the closet (about 12 screws and six hinge screws) but I would reseat the fan in butyl if it's been more than five years. I don't think there's any other possibility if you don't see damage up top.

Regards,

Matt
Old 12-31-2010, 06:29 PM   #3

Trailer: 1984 U-Haul / 02 Mazda pick up
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynne VDK View Post
I hope this isn't a duplicate post- I looked but didn't find one-

My Uhaul CT13 has a leak and I cant find the source. The top of the closet is wet- I reach my fingers inbetween the ceiling double hull inside the closet and the it's wet- I guessed it was from the Fantatic Fan but I've pulled the carpet back exposing the ceiling and it's pretty dry around the fan and pretty dry under the solar panel. Also, I'm a bit confused about the double hull- can someone explain how the double hull is put together in the Uhaul-I see internal hull seems to end on either side of the fan leaving the outter hull (under the carpet liner)as the main ceiling. Am I looking at this right? Also can someone explain why I dont see the seam of the outter hull that should run down the inside of the hull (under the carpet liner) Is it fiberglassed over on the inside?
My leak is also running down the sides inbetween the hulls to the lowest point of the trailer (under the front sofa) -do the running lights ever need new gaskets?- I'm befuddled
If you have been camping in this cold weather, it could be just condensation.
We have had a great deal of trouble with that as we have been camping since September and we often have to swab out the water that condenses on the inside of the outer shell and collects on the floor.
We are currently in Quartzsite Az. and even with the dry air here we still have the problem although it is much less here.
Othderwise, I would have to agree that it is probably lewking around the fan.
Bud Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 06:54 PM   #4

Thanks Matt and Bud-

The fan looks good from the roof view but this is the first winter I've had her- the seal might not be good- it's more than condensation (unfortunately)- I'll have to get serious after the rainy season slows down a bit.

I've got another quick question about the fan. The bottom of my fan frame (the last part that get's screwed in) is't quite big enough for the hole. Only 2 screws actually screw into the cealing. Is there something I should be using to fill in the gap ( so I can screw in the other 2 screws-tight )
Thanks and happy new year
Old 12-31-2010, 07:04 PM   #5

Quote:
Thanks Matt and Bud-

The fan looks good from the roof view but this is the first winter I've had her- the seal might not be good- it's more than condensation (unfortunately)- I'll have to get serious after the rainy season slows down a bit.

I've got another quick question about the fan. The bottom of my fan frame (the last part that get's screwed in) is't quite big enough for the hole. Only 2 screws actually screw into the cealing. Is there something I should be using to fill in the gap ( so I can screw in the other 2 screws-tight )
Thanks and happy new year
SOry, I don't have a clue. I installed a fantastic fan in my uhaul and did not have the problem. Unfortunately, you never know what the DPO ( dreaded previous owner ) did to modify the unit.
Old 12-31-2010, 07:18 PM   #6

Thanks Bud- Looks like I've got a learning curve for some creative repairs-

Can I ask- how do you access the roof of your Uhaul- all I have is a 6 ft ladder- and I'm not quite tall enough to have a good working access to the center where the fan is - and I don't want to put weight on a 25 yr old fiberglass
Old 12-31-2010, 08:41 PM   #7

Quote:
Thanks Bud- Looks like I've got a learning curve for some creative repairs-

Can I ask- how do you access the roof of your Uhaul- all I have is a 6 ft ladder- and I'm not quite tall enough to have a good working access to the center where the fan is - and I don't want to put weight on a 25 yr old fiberglass
I have one of those articulated ladders that has four sections. The two end sections point down and the two center ones form a bridge. I put a 1x12 board on it and it makes a nice walkway. Just the right height ( for me )
Old 12-31-2010, 09:04 PM   #8

Hmm... Santa didn't bring me on of those- I'll have to find a friend-
Have a happy new years
Lynne
Old 12-31-2010, 10:39 PM   #9

Trailer: 2009 Scamp 16 ft / 2003 Durango
Lynne,
I have a 30 year old fiberglass boat and have no problem with the fiberglass getting weaker.
That being said I would not walk on the roof of the trailer but I would think you could lay on it ok.

Bill K
Bill K is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
uhaul