Uhaul signal lenses, how to remove. - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 03-22-2012, 08:11 AM   #15

Name: Kinga DeRode
Trailer: For Sale Or Rent
Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
..... I assume you mean at the rear of the trailer?......... Bob
No, the wire goes up through the floor about midway. I also soldered all these plug in wires at that location as they were corroded and also soldered the ground wire to the frame. I'll attach my separate, backup ground wire back near the tail lights.

Old 03-22-2012, 08:34 AM   #16

Name: Diane
Trailer: u-haul ct13
Virginia
Oh Bob and Thomas, Thank you so much! We are on the same page now and all my question answered and more! I appreciate your kindness and willingness to help others.

Old 03-22-2012, 03:18 PM   #17

Name: bob
Trailer: 1984 u-haul ct13; 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Tom: Good thing you mentioned that wiring, I hadn't looked close at mine as all the lights work, but took a look today and it don't look good. Insulation is cracked on the wires, there are two ground connections on the frame. I'm just going to replace all the wire from the plug on the tongue, right back to the tail lights, and make all my connections inside the trailer. I have butt connectors with heat shrink on them and solder inside them that melts when you put heat to it. Bob
Old 03-22-2012, 04:00 PM   #18

Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Quote:
Tom: Good thing you mentioned that wiring, I hadn't looked close at mine as all the lights work, but took a look today and it don't look good. Insulation is cracked on the wires, there are two ground connections on the frame. I'm just going to replace all the wire from the plug on the tongue, right back to the tail lights, and make all my connections inside the trailer. I have butt connectors with heat shrink on them and solder inside them that melts when you put heat to it. Bob
Sounds like a good plan. I'm curious how UHaul fished the wires from the tongue to where the wire exits underneath. It protects the wires nicely, but must have been a bear to fish.
Old 03-22-2012, 06:45 PM   #19

Name: bob
Trailer: 1984 u-haul ct13; 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
I thought about fishing my new wiring through the tongue, but decided not to. I'm afraid it would move around in there and chafe through, and there would be an unseen problem. Working on big trucks, that frequently happened where a wire that was loose in a inaccessible location would rub through and short out. Sometimes the only way to narrow down the trouble spot was to start cutting wires until the problem went away, then run new wiring in that area. Light problems were the most frequent tasks we did, especially here in the northeast in the winter. Keeping connections from corroding was near impossible, no matter what we did, but some methods lasted longer than others. If we couldn't make a connection inside out of the weather, it was best to leave it exposed where it could be found easily. I don't miss that work at all !!!! Bob
Old 03-22-2012, 07:03 PM   #20

Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Quote:
........I'm afraid it would move around in there and chafe through, and there would be an unseen problem.......... Bob

Good point. Maybe why UHaul used the rubber jacketed wire.

Tags
uhaul