Uhaul swamp cooler - Butyl tape alternatives? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-09-2012, 03:55 PM   #21

Name: don
Trailer: 1985 U-Haul CT-13
Florida
Registry
Bob, ditto on that exposure stuff. I try to not think about it too much
as I was really into washing hands with gasoline before the GOJO and all that stuff... I later came to my senses, hopefully not too late.

That Duxseal almost sounds like a British product. They have always been excellent in old school craftmanship.
Old 03-09-2012, 04:40 PM   #22

Trailer: Escape 17 ft Plan B
Registry
Our local Ace Hardware said they are no longer allowed to sell butyl caulk here in NY. Don't know if it is a NY thing or Ace, but their replacement for it is Geocel Water Shield.

I used it to install the wiring to my inverter & it stays flexible, and dries with a skin that isn't sticky. Of course this is caulk, not tape...
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 05:45 PM   #23
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Vermilye View Post
Our local Ace Hardware said they are no longer allowed to sell butyl caulk here in NY. Don't know if it is a NY thing or Ace, but their replacement for it is Geocel Water Shield.

I used it to install the wiring to my inverter & it stays flexible, and dries with a skin that isn't sticky. Of course this is caulk, not tape...
Jon, I know we can get butyl tape here in Vt. and we ban everything ( We have to smuggle in some TSP from N.H. every once in a while., don't tell anyone). Aubuchon's lists it as an orderable item. Might try there. If they sell it here they have to sell it in N.Y. I'll check around. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 08:31 PM   #24

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
My UH came with a swamp cooler. It also has a wood 'frame' on the inside that worked great to attach the trim to when I replaced the swampie with a crank up vent. I wasn't butyl-aware at that time, so I used the putty tape on it.
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 10:05 AM   #25
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Raz View Post
Jon, I know we can get butyl tape here in Vt. and we ban everything ( We have to smuggle in some TSP from N.H. every once in a while., don't tell anyone). Aubuchon's lists it as an orderable item. Might try there. If they sell it here they have to sell it in N.Y. I'll check around. Raz

Local Ace has it. Ace Butyl Rubber sealant $3.49. / tube. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
uhaul