Uhaul swamp cooler - Butyl tape alternatives? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-07-2012, 08:57 PM   #1

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Uhaul swamp cooler - Butyl tape alternatives?

Mild temperatures here in upstate NY, and predicted for tomorrow too. So I decided to remove the swamp cooler in preparation for installing the Fantastic Fan tomorrow. That all went good, had to file a couple corners of the opening for the fan to drop in. Now I can't find butyl tape locally. I've read on here that is best to use for installation. Tried Lowes , Ace Hardware, and another local hardware/lumber yard. Half the people don't know what I'm talking about, the rest say they know of it but don't have it in their store. GRRRR!! Is there another name for it other than just "butyl tape"? Bob
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 09:13 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Butyl putty tape if you're looking for the stuff you can mold into a rope by running it with your hands .... or butyl rubber which is typically black "rubber' and requires a sharp knife to cut off the excess that hangs out. Not sure exactly what you're looking for.... have you check with an RV parts place?
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 09:22 PM   #3

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Well, I see you're not near any Camping World stores.

Your closest Big City is Albany, so I googled "RV supplies near Albany, New York and found:
Albany RV
1101 Central Avenue
Albany, NY 12212-2309
1-800-426-9021

They list Butyl Tape on their online parts store.
RVone.com Parts Store Online Store
I'd call the Albany store and see if they have it in stock.
Old 03-07-2012, 09:36 PM   #4

New York
Donna, I've never used it, but always see on here to "Don't use silicone, use butyl tape" so I figured OK that's what I'll do. The guys at Lowes really tried, but it seems it's another one of those simple requests that turns out to be not that simple.
Frederick, thanks for that info, I'm actually closer to Pittsfield MA, and there is an RV dealer there but not a very good one. Actually it's where we bought our Uhaul, and we almost got it for $1000 because they didn't know anything about it, BUT, then they did some online research and we ended up at $1800. still a good deal we think. Bob
Old 03-08-2012, 06:22 AM   #5

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Bob, I chased around trying to find butyl tape, too. Finally found it at 2 RV dealers.
Thomas G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 11:38 AM   #6

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
you can use plumbers putty tape in a spot like that. what your looking for is something that won't dry out and shrink . and that doesn't contain the demon sillycon
john warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 04:26 PM   #7

New York
I called a RV place in Hancock MA, it's about 40 minutes from me. They had the butyl tape so I went & got a roll 1 1/2" wide, $8. I had to grind down the fiberglass a little at the seam as there was a slight hump there. put on the tape, stuck the Fantastic fan in the hole, and ran the screws in with a cordless drill, and then hand tightened them. By using the drill, the screws will bore through the fiberglass. Then I smoothed the excess putty along the edge, and also used some to cover the screws. The directions say to seal the screw heads with silicone but I didn't dare do that! Picked up my tools, and then it started to rain, done just in time!! I still have to fit the inside trim piece to finish the job. One odd thing though, the swamp cooler was held on by 4 bolts from inside the trailer, but after I removed it there was a row of holes all the way around the opening as if there had been a standard vent there previously?? Thanks for all the advice. Bob
Old 03-08-2012, 04:30 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
..........One odd thing though, the swamp cooler was held on by 4 bolts from inside the trailer, but after I removed it there was a row of holes all the way around the opening as if there had been a standard vent there previously?? Thanks for all the advice. Bob

I think the swamp cooler was a later upgrade. The instructions for installing it are in the repair manual. There is a vent shown in the parts manual that is different from the swamp cooler.
Old 03-08-2012, 07:34 PM   #9

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Dicor Lap Sealant
501 LSW
Self Leveling Lap Sealant
Came with my Fantastic Fan and worked great
It is labeled for Industrial Use
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 06:04 AM   #10
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
For future reference, try a building supply/lumber yard. That's where I found it. If they sell galvanized sheet metal roofing, butyl tape is used to seal the over lap between the sheets. Check the box the roll comes out of to be sure. It may be 1/2" instead of the 3/4" the RV store sells but it can be doubled up. After asking at numerous places and getting that clueless look I finally found a guy who knew what he was selling. Good luck, Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 06:42 AM   #11

New York
Raz: one of the guys at Lowes mentioned the metal roofing stuff. The RV place I went to had just what I wanted. I had the Fantastic fan here way before I pulled out the swamp cooler, so I should have got the butyl tape sooner, but thought I could get it at Lowes. Then when it was so warm here Wednesday, I made a quick decision to pull out the swamp cooler and then couldn't get the tape without doing a 2 hour round trip. It all worked out in the end, and now I awake to a little snow on the ground this morning. Luck was with me again. Special thanks to Frederick for making me think of trying a RV dealer. I opted to go to one out in the country rather than have to do city driving, each one was about the same distance. We live outside a one stoplight village, so I don't care for city driving so much. Bob
Old 03-09-2012, 07:18 AM   #12
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Bob, I bet you could go to 5 lumber yards, all having what you need, and if you didn't mention the metal roofing, they wouldn't know. Also it wouldn't suprize me if there is a different product that is also sold. Things change. Last year I went into a place and asked for a sheet of 1/2" particle board. The guy had no idea what I was after. All they sell Is MDFB.

Sounds like you got the job done. Great. Take care, Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 07:26 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Raz View Post
........Things change.........
Good point. I was looking for butyl caulk (in a tube) and the guys at HD and Lowes looked at me like I had two heads. Used to be in the gutter and downspout section, but they have new stuff now.
Old 03-09-2012, 08:36 AM   #14

Name: don
Trailer: 1985 U-Haul CT-13
Florida
Registry
Buytl Caulk in a tube

Tom,
I recently replaced the front CT window with bronze tinted Lexan and
needed butyl caulk in a tube. I discovered it available from 3M in a product called 'Window-Weld' super fast urethane in black. I don't know if it is available in white but I suspect it is. Great product but make sure you
keep the stuff off your fingers or you will be washing them for a week!
(lacquer thinner will get it off before it cures)

It's available at most autoparts stores and is actually just butyl which many of the new generation parts people know nothing about. I found out later it is much cheaper at Amazon or eBay if you get it free shipping...
don CT-13

"Sometimes the hunt is better than the catch"
djtriceflt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 08:48 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by djtriceflt View Post
Tom,
I recently replaced the front CT window with bronze tinted Lexan and
needed butyl caulk in a tube. I discovered it available from 3M in a product called 'Window-Weld' super fast urethane in black. I don't know if it is available in white but I suspect it is. Great product but make sure you
keep the stuff off your fingers or you will be washing them for a week!
(lacquer thinner will get it off before it cures)

It's available at most autoparts stores and is actually just butyl which many of the new generation parts people know nothing about. I found out later it is much cheaper at Amazon or eBay if you get it free shipping...
don CT-13

"Sometimes the hunt is better than the catch"
Interesting. I thought that butyl and urethane were distinctly different products.
Old 03-09-2012, 09:09 AM   #16

Florida
Registry
3M Window-Weld

Tom, You are abolutely right! I re-read my post which says it is butyl. it is 3M's replacement for butyl and does have some different characteristics
but very effective as a window sealer...
Old 03-09-2012, 10:12 AM   #17

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
I wonder if plumber's putty can be an acceptable substitute for butyl tape? Anyone know?
this looks just like buty
http://www.bing.com/shopping/master-...utty&FORM=HURE
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 11:14 AM   #18

Florida
Registry
Plumbers tape vrs Butyl tape

Sure looks the same but I believe it stays more pliable and softer ,allowing for thread dis-assembly, than butyl which sets a little with age but that is 'IMHO'. Anyone know?

I bought this Butyl tape off eBay, which was the cheapest I could find,
before trying an RV place which I will do in the future.

eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices
Old 03-09-2012, 02:45 PM   #19

New York
Anyone heard of "Duxseal" by Johns Manville. We used it in the machine shop when I was a machinist many years ago, like around 1968. It was a gummy putty type stuff that came in a little paper bag. I just found some in my stash of stuff but it kind of got hard. Reading the label it has asbestos in it. Having been exposed to lead paint, leaded gas, asbestos, and who knows what chemicals we used on the farm years ago, it's no wonder I'm a little wacky. I guess I'm lucky to be still alive and in fairly good health. Bob
Old 03-09-2012, 03:01 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
Anyone heard of "Duxseal" by Johns Manville. ..........

Bob, apparently all the ducks have been sealed.

Tags
uhaul