Uhaul table mod proposal, input please - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-13-2009, 08:59 AM   #1

Trailer: U-Haul CT13 ('Pearl')
Since I like space, I was trying to figure out what to do with the big table in the bed area. I thought about doing a double drop leaf making the pedestal table skinny. Has anyone done this? or am I better of just making a lounge area?

I am doing the front table mod. My 17 yo teenager keeps asking where he is going to sleep......tee heee.
Pat B Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 09:22 AM   #2

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
When we had our Burro, we just had a piece of plywood that we removed during the day to keep the area open (We also added a front dinette.)

CindyL
Old 11-13-2009, 10:10 AM   #3

Cindy, you have a bigger trailer than me and you vote for the "Lounge" application. I think I could easily stow the 2 32"x16" boards for the bed in one of the benches, but having a big table would be nice.
Old 11-13-2009, 10:46 AM   #4

Trailer: 2000 Burro 17 ft / 2001 Toyota Tundra V8 2wd
Registry
The rear dinette table of my Burro was in a permanent bed configuration before I bought it, and I'm leaving it that way. But to get to the storage compartments on either side of the rear bench I have to remove the table platform, and at 44x32 or so it kind of hard to move around because of it's size and weight. So I cut it in half and added a $12 piano hinge in the middle so I can fold it before moving it. It's a lot easier to move out of the way now, basically I can fold the table top and put it and all cushions on one of the benches, and sit on the other one. The top is still heavy since it's particle board, but easier to manuever and get in and out of the trailer. I might replace it with lighter weight plywood in the future.
ThomasE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 11:39 AM   #5

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
This doesn't address having a rear table, but since I primarily use the rear area for a bed, I removed (and saved) the table and instead use a few 1" x 8" pine boards (about 29" long in my case) to make up the center part of the bed.

Nothing magical about my choice of "x 8's" -- I just happened to have them on hand from some bookshelves I made but was no longer using. But what I like about the boards is that they are easy to move around and store. And I can change the size of the bed in increments.

The original table in a Boler is even more unwieldy than in a U-haul because, without a back bench, the table is full-depth.

Raya
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 11:51 AM   #6

Registry
Pat:

This is not what we do with our UHaul. For our current trailer, the UHaul, we leave the bed put up. With our previous 13' Burro, we always took the board out and the bed down during the day, so the Burro would have more space. There are only 2 of us, so we used out front table mod for eating.

CindyL
Old 11-13-2009, 02:23 PM   #7

Trailer: 85 U-Haul 13 ft
Registry

Click image for larger version

Name:	SSPX0195.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	25005
[attachment=29729:
uhual_7.jpg]My camper has a small table you can remove. I use two pieces of wood to use for the bed that can be stored under the cushions. The table uses the poloe in the floor and has a fold away leg that props up on the cushion to stablize. The only drawback is where to put it when not in use.
Attached Thumbnails
uhual_7.jpg   SSPX0196.jpg  

stephanie reed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 12:30 PM   #8

Stefanie, I like the design of your table. Maybe we could add the slide from Judith's mod and make it fit the bed drop, leaving only the addition of one board for sleeping....

Lots of great ideas....maybe too many to choose from.
Old 11-16-2009, 02:48 PM   #9

Registry
Pat:

Do you have your original dinette table? If it fit in our VT, it might be nice to replace our plywood with something more original if you were interested in parting with it. Our dinette table was missing when we bought the trailer. PV had put the bed together permanently with this plywood and had a huge water tank under the bed.

CindyL

Tags
u-haul, uhaul