UHAUL VT16 - it's @ home and in need - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-24-2008, 09:45 AM   #1

Trailer: U-Haul VT16 1985
After a long tow - Umatilla, OR to Mission Viejo, CA, our new VT is in the driveway. It is in remarkable original condition and in need of TLC. Just for straters:

1. Outside lights not working. Does anyone have a wiring diagram? The last owner strung loose wires from the 4pin plug to generic tail lights mounted on the bumper.

2. No 12V power. I found a giant Interstate Workoholic battery under the rear bench. I doubt that it is charged. Anybody knows the 12V setup? Diagrams? Is there a main switch that cuts power to the 12V system. It looks like the prev owner only used it in the 120AC setup?

3. The gelcoat has micro-cracks in a few places and two faint rust lines from window drain opennings. Solutions?

4. How does one get enough leverage to safely remove the large Coleman AC from the roof? I will be using this in the winter, no need for AC, I'd rather have a fantastic fan.

5. Does anyone know how the surge braking sytem can be checked/activated? I have a good notion of the parts inside the hubs. I need info on the hitch actuator and hydraulics.
Attached Thumbnails
VTO_1.jpg   VT16_4.jpg  

Ami P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 10:58 AM   #2

Trailer: Eggcamper 2007 ('Wolf's Lair')
Complete manual and parts breakdown documents for the U-Haul camper are available in the document center under resources at this site. See the bar to the left. Lots of information there.

Orlen Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 11:16 AM   #3

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
Congratulations, Ami! Looks really nice! Ours came without that back dinette table, but I rarely take the bed down and when I do, that area is like a livingroom. We eat either outside or up front.

I will tell hubby that you posted with hubby kinds of questions. He can field some of these. I may be wrong, but I think that the documentation here is for CT. Helpful for some things but does not cover surge brakes, a job that we need to do yet. We bought a brake system off ebay. I do know that UHaul uses surge brakes on one of their large trailers that looks quite a bit like the one on the VT. That is what we were able to buy. We have purchased items from UHaul dealers. UHaul still makes the wheels, brakes, and hubs and if you find a willing dealer, you can buy them. The dealer has to purchase them and then sell them to you. Some will and some won't. One person over on uhaulcamper.com was accused of stealing their trailer from the dealer, but ours sold us the tires and one guy in Cheyenne, WY had two hubs last summer.

There is also some documentation over on uhaulcamper.com, just type in the address and click on the link. Jim, the webmaster, has put some documentation there. There might be a VT owner there who still has documentation, but I am not sure. We did have a guy who actually headed up the folks who made the VT and had put them together himself. He posted about a month and a half ago a couple of times but has not been back that I know of. I think we peppered him with too many questions.

Here's a picture to show where Kevin attached the spare tire.

Have fun! Ours is going out in a few weeks again. It has not been one of those trailers that just sit all the time in the driveway.

Cindy
Attached Thumbnails
uhaulami.jpg  
Old 06-24-2008, 06:29 PM   #4

Trailer: U-Haul VT16 1985
Quote:
Complete manual and parts breakdown documents for the U-Haul camper are available in the document center under resources at this site. See the bar to the left. Lots of information there.
Thanks, Orlen. I printed out the two manuals BUT no running lights or taillights schematic were to be found there.
Ami
Ami P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 08:41 PM   #5

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
1. Outside lights not working. Does anyone have a wiring diagram?

2. No 12V power. Anybody knows the 12V setup? Diagrams? Is there a main switch that cuts power to the 12V system?
The only source I know of for any wiring diagram would be Dan Meyer’s 16’ Scamp /Side Dinette.

Click image for larger version

Name:	<a title=electrical.jpg Views: 128 Size: 90.4 KB ID: 14045" style="margin: 2px" />

While not specifically for your UHaul, you might be able to make use of it to interpolate the way yours is/should be.
Quote:
Notes on Electrical Diagram (on page 15)
1. Because Scamp builds trailers to meet the desires of the customer, very few trailers are constructed in the same way. Thus, the wiring diagram may not specifically represent your trailer. It shows how appliances are connected, which lines are fused, and how lights are connected to the power supply. [b]Use this diagram only as a reference.

Tags
u-haul, uhaul