Uhaul wheels alternative - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 06-25-2012, 09:17 PM   #15

Name: Perk
Trailer: U-Haul VT 16FT
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by theman View Post
Thanks for the info. I have done many call today and finally found a great guy near my place that use to sell uhaul trailer and he as 2 new rims and one tire left. He is selling every thing for a 100$ so this is a greater deal than 106$ a piece.

I think he as a few rim left so if anyone is interested let me know I will tomorow as I pick-ip my rims.

Fred
Did you get the wheels? Were they the right ones and fit your CT-13?

Perk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 10:59 AM   #16

Name: Frederic
Trailer: U-Haul ct-13
Quebec
Hello Perk,

Yes I got the rim and they are uhaul original. They are not new but are in great shape. I got a brand new tire with one of the rim. Now I have 4 rims and will be alright for a long trip.

Fred

Old 06-26-2012, 11:38 AM   #17

Name: Don
Trailer: 13ft Scamp
Texas
When my brother had a U Haul trailer, he found the tires on his Astro Van were perfect. Not sure if the actual wheel or the spare wheel. Easy to find in a junk yard to match up.
Old 06-26-2012, 01:47 PM   #18

Arizona
Registry
Good for you Fred! I hope to be in similar shape in near future. Safe trips.

Quote:
Hello Perk,

Yes I got the rim and they are uhaul original. They are not new but are in great shape. I got a brand new tire with one of the rim. Now I have 4 rims and will be alright for a long trip.

Fred
Old 06-26-2012, 01:50 PM   #19

Arizona
Registry
Don,

I will add that to my list of possible wheels to check out. Do you know an approximate year? Thank you for the insight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonFromTexas View Post
When my brother had a U Haul trailer, he found the tires on his Astro Van were perfect. Not sure if the actual wheel or the spare wheel. Easy to find in a junk yard to match up.
Old 01-11-2013, 10:19 AM   #20

Name: Kinga DeRode
Trailer: For Sale Or Rent
Rooms to Let 50 Cents
I'm bumping this thread to add some information from the seemingly defunct uhaulcamper.com site.

Last July, a one time poster noted that a company called Demco makes car dollies and car trailers using a bearing hub similar to the UHaul camper. That provides possibilities for using these parts on the UHaul, as the axle attachment interface is the same.

The Demco uses the GM hub with the 4.5" (actually 115 mm) bolt circle Timken 513018 as opposed to the UHaul camper, which uses the 4.75" bolt circle hub Timken 513090.

Using the 115 mm bolt circle hub, one could possibly use the Demco wheels which are 14" and have a large positive offset, like the UHaul wheels.

Wheel 14x5.5-5 white 115MM, 09296, Demco - Ryder Fleet Products

Additionally there is a floating brake drum available for the Demco hub, which might possibly be used on VTs or even a CT is surge brakes were added.

10" Brake Drum For 115MM Wheel, SB40929, Demco - Ryder Fleet Products

I can't vouch for any of these parts working, but it provides an interesting alternative that should be thoroughly checked out before you buy.
Old 01-11-2013, 01:05 PM   #21

Name: Michael J
Trailer: U-Haul VT
Indiana
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
I'm bumping this thread to add some information from the seemingly defunct uhaulcamper.com site.

Last July, a one time poster noted that a company called Demco makes car dollies and car trailers using a bearing hub similar to the UHaul camper. That provides possibilities for using these parts on the UHaul, as the axle attachment interface is the same.

The Demco uses the GM hub with the 4.5" (actually 115 mm) bolt circle Timken 513018 as opposed to the UHaul camper, which uses the 4.75" bolt circle hub Timken 513090.

Using the 115 mm bolt circle hub, one could possibly use the Demco wheels which are 14" and have a large positive offset, like the UHaul wheels.

Wheel 14x5.5-5 white 115MM, 09296, Demco - Ryder Fleet Products

Additionally there is a floating brake drum available for the Demco hub, which might possibly be used on VTs or even a CT is surge brakes were added.

10" Brake Drum For 115MM Wheel, SB40929, Demco - Ryder Fleet Products

I can't vouch for any of these parts working, but it provides an interesting alternative that should be thoroughly checked out before you buy.
I spent a couple of days last year researching Demco and the closest I could come was the rental tow dolly unit RentA Kaddy GT300SB which has torsion axles it is rated 3500GVWR. it also has surge brakes The torsion axles are separate parts that fit into a box axle that looks a lot like the same setup on my VT except everything is welded together.. I was not able to get measurements to see if if it was possible to modify but felt that the 3500# would be a lot stiffer than my current 2500# axle. So left it in my files incase I have to replace my axle. Looked like Ryder had parts but no picts of what you were getting. The 14" rim looks very similar to the 14" rims on the VT when I bought it.
Tom double check the call out on the hub.. the UHaul manual calls it a" wheel assembly 4.5 x 13"metric.
Michael J
Old 01-11-2013, 01:21 PM   #22

Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmeyer View Post
Tom double check the call out on the hub.. the UHaul manual calls it a" wheel assembly 4.5 x 13"metric.
Michael J
Mike, I'm not getting your question. Are you talking about the wheel or the bearing hub?

I wasn't proposing using the Demco torsion axle, just maybe the wheels, hubs and brake drums.
Old 01-11-2013, 02:24 PM   #23

Name: Michael J
Trailer: U-Haul VT
Indiana
Registry
I take it that you are indicating the hub is 4.75 in. While the UHaul manual indicated 4.5

Mike
Old 01-11-2013, 03:06 PM   #24

Name: Kevin
Trailer: 28' Bigfoot Silver Cloud
Oak Park, IL
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
Do you know if the rims are NOS (New Old Stock) with the tabs for hubcaps or are they the new smooth version?
Old 01-11-2013, 03:09 PM   #25

Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmeyer View Post
I take it that you are indicating the hub is 4.75 in. While the UHaul manual indicated 4.5

Mike
The UHaul hubs are 4.75" bolt circle for the wheel lugs. I'm sure of that. Some people have replaced them with the similar hub that is 115mm (4.5").
Old 01-11-2013, 03:11 PM   #26

Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin A View Post
Do you know if the rims are NOS (New Old Stock) with the tabs for hubcaps or are they the new smooth version?
Kevin, which rims are you talking about?
Old 01-11-2013, 03:42 PM   #27

Name: Kevin
Trailer: 28' Bigfoot Silver Cloud
Oak Park, IL
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
Oops! The question about the NOS rims was aimed at the posting from Quebec where a member was picking up some rims. Sorry. I was interrupted and didn't catch that it was an old thread. Just chalk it up to a busy Friday afternoon!
Old 03-11-2013, 07:59 AM   #28

Arizona
Registry
How many did you buy and do you know if any are still available? I am looking for one or two wheels/rims for my VT.

Thanks,

Quote:
Just found 5 brand new rim in a uhaull store. Cost 106$ per unit. Itls this the right price?

Pretty expensif!