Uhaul wheels alternative - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-12-2012, 08:09 PM   #1

Name: Frederic
Trailer: U-Haul ct-13
Quebec
Uhaul wheels alternative

Hello,

I am looking for a Uhaul ct-13 spare tire. There is no rim available at uhaul center anymore (i called today). Does anyone know where I can get one or is there an alternative

The info I have for now is that the bolt partern is a gm corvette but the is size of the rim is from I dont know vut certainly not of a corvette.

I saw some adaptor that cant convert the hub to a more standard bolt partern but that would
Meand that I would have to get the adaptor and 3 complete wheels (that look like a lot of $$$).

Thanks for your help

Fred
theman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 08:11 PM   #2

Trailer: Home Built
a spare from a 90s or early 2000s camaro works...not the wheels, the spare
D White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 08:12 PM   #3

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
Search for Thomas' information on adapting wheels. I am sure he will chime in here soon to tell you what to do.

CindyL
CindyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 06:04 AM   #4

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
The UHaul wheel has three key characteristics:

13" Diameter
4.75" lug circle
1.75" positive offset

When I was investigating this, I never found an exact match. Probably the closest thing is a Corvair (yes, the ancient rear engine beast) wheel with a 1" offset. The Camaro from the mid 90's has a 4.75" lug circle, but I don't know about the diameter or offset. Checking out the spare wheel is a novel approach that might work.
Old 06-13-2012, 07:36 AM   #5

Quebec
Thanks to all for your answer. I will be starting a search for a camaro spare tire.

If anybody have a old rim and tire, I am a buyer since I am leaving for two month on june 29 I really need a spare in case off....

thanks
Old 06-13-2012, 08:26 AM   #6

Trailer: Home Built
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
The UHaul wheel has three key characteristics:

13" Diameter
4.75" lug circle
1.75" positive offset

When I was investigating this, I never found an exact match. Probably the closest thing is a Corvair (yes, the ancient rear engine beast) wheel. The Camaro from the mid 90's has a 4.75" lug circle, but I don't know about the diameter or offset. Checking out the spare wheel is a novel approach that might work.
It's not an exact match, for sure...just something affordable that works...Dave
D White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 08:53 AM   #7

Name: Shelley
Trailer: 1985 13ft U-haul
Alberta
Hi Theman
I was at Canadian Tire the other day a found cargo trailer tire and rim that might work. It wasn't at the automotive desk but instead it was with the RV and cargo trailer accessories. Pretty good price point.
Cheers,
Shelley
skeithczayka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 11:45 AM   #8

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
Have you tried contacting other Uhaul dealers? Ours is usually accommodating, but I have heard of many who are not, even going so far as suggesting a theft to one owner. Maybe you got hold of one who is not accommodating for ordering a rim. Of course, they may be discontinued now too. We bought ours several years ago from our dealer.

CindyL
CindyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 12:07 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyL View Post
............ We bought ours several years ago from our dealer.CindyL
Good point. Anecdotally, there seems to be a bunch of UHaul parts strewn across the country at various dealers. It might make sense to take the part number and call various UHaul service centers and see if they have one in some dusty corner.

Click on link below and look for "In Person at your local UHaul parts store" search window.

http://www.uhaul.com/TruckSales/Truck-Trailer-Parts/
Old 06-18-2012, 03:51 PM   #10

Quebec
I am still looking for a spare tire for our uhaul ct13. If anyone have one to sell let us know

Thanks
Old 06-19-2012, 10:48 AM   #11

Quebec
Just found 5 brand new rim in a uhaull store. Cost 106$ per unit. Itls this the right price?

Pretty expensif!
Old 06-19-2012, 11:58 AM   #12

Trailer: U-Haul 16 ft Vacationer
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
They are making some profit on you! I believe the price we paid through a UHaul dealer 5 years ago was about $86 per rim and I've heard of some being even lower when ordered through the UHaul website. However, those do appear to gone and off the site now. However, if the rims are becoming hard to find, the price you pay is the right price!
Kevin A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 01:14 PM   #13

Name: Michael J
Trailer: U-Haul VT
Indiana
Registry
paid $ 60.15 ea with free shipping from UHaul online store 6/7/10 if it makes any difference. as Kevin says it is what it is worth to you.
Also if you happen to be coming close to IN. I have a donut spare that the previous owner used on my VT that I will give you( Checked and it does fit the hub) along with a used hub that I just swapped out with a new one as a prevenative maintence measure.
And on another note the previous owner ran 15 inch rims with p205 60 Kumo Car tires, may have been the Camero spares previously mentioned. I towed it home with them and I believe it ran smoother than with the 13" Carlsiles I have now, not as much bounce.
My 2cents
Michael J
mmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 05:06 PM   #14

Quebec
Thanks for the info. I have done many call today and finally found a great guy near my place that use to sell uhaul trailer and he as 2 new rims and one tire left. He is selling every thing for a 100$ so this is a greater deal than 106$ a piece.

I think he as a few rim left so if anyone is interested let me know I will tomorow as I pick-ip my rims.

Fred
Old 06-25-2012, 08:17 PM   #15

Name: Perk
Trailer: Formerly U-Haul
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by theman View Post
Thanks for the info. I have done many call today and finally found a great guy near my place that use to sell uhaul trailer and he as 2 new rims and one tire left. He is selling every thing for a 100$ so this is a greater deal than 106$ a piece.

I think he as a few rim left so if anyone is interested let me know I will tomorow as I pick-ip my rims.

Fred
Did you get the wheels? Were they the right ones and fit your CT-13?
Perk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 09:59 AM   #16

Quebec
Hello Perk,

Yes I got the rim and they are uhaul original. They are not new but are in great shape. I got a brand new tire with one of the rim. Now I have 4 rims and will be alright for a long trip.

Fred
Old 06-26-2012, 10:38 AM   #17

Name: Don
Trailer: 13ft Scamp sold looking now for something larger
Texas
When my brother had a U Haul trailer, he found the tires on his Astro Van were perfect. Not sure if the actual wheel or the spare wheel. Easy to find in a junk yard to match up.
DonFromTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 12:47 PM   #18

Arizona
Registry
Good for you Fred! I hope to be in similar shape in near future. Safe trips.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theman View Post
Hello Perk,

Yes I got the rim and they are uhaul original. They are not new but are in great shape. I got a brand new tire with one of the rim. Now I have 4 rims and will be alright for a long trip.

Fred
Old 06-26-2012, 12:50 PM   #19

Arizona
Registry
Don,

I will add that to my list of possible wheels to check out. Do you know an approximate year? Thank you for the insight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonFromTexas View Post
When my brother had a U Haul trailer, he found the tires on his Astro Van were perfect. Not sure if the actual wheel or the spare wheel. Easy to find in a junk yard to match up.
Old 01-11-2013, 10:19 AM   #20

I'm bumping this thread to add some information from the seemingly defunct uhaulcamper.com site.

Last July, a one time poster noted that a company called Demco makes car dollies and car trailers using a bearing hub similar to the UHaul camper. That provides possibilities for using these parts on the UHaul, as the axle attachment interface is the same.

The Demco uses the GM hub with the 4.5" (actually 115 mm) bolt circle Timken 513018 as opposed to the UHaul camper, which uses the 4.75" bolt circle hub Timken 513090.

Using the 115 mm bolt circle hub, one could possibly use the Demco wheels which are 14" and have a large positive offset, like the UHaul wheels.

Wheel 14x5.5-5 white 115MM, 09296, Demco - Ryder Fleet Products

Additionally there is a floating brake drum available for the Demco hub, which might possibly be used on VTs or even a CT is surge brakes were added.

10" Brake Drum For 115MM Wheel, SB40929, Demco - Ryder Fleet Products

I can't vouch for any of these parts working, but it provides an interesting alternative that should be thoroughly checked out before you buy.