Ummm, I did a boo-boo, I need help! - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 05-12-2009, 11:59 AM   #15
Name: Rachel
Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
I'd like to understand better how deep the hole is, or is if is more of a chip than a hole. If it's a large hole, than yes, a gelcoat patch will not be enough. On the other hand, you don't want to fix it with something like Marine Tex until its flush, and then paint the gelcoat on, because you want some depth to the gelcoat. Indeed, for really small scratches we sometimes make them a bit deeper, just to give the gelcoat some "tooth."

Also note that if you use epoxy for the under-fix, you may nee dto be careful in order to assure a good bond with the (polyester) gelcoat. Read the prep instructions carefully. Contrary to popular opinion, you can put gelcoat over epoxy, but it is a bit more of a challenge, and you need to be sure there is no "blush" or etc. on the surface of the cured epoxy.

Hopefully you have a chip and not really a hole, and can just use the gelcoat, since this is your first repair. Remember not to try to make the gelcoat perfectly flush - you want it to stand bit proud so that you can "buff" it back to flat with the wet/dry paper.

Come on, can we see the owie? Please?

Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 12:49 PM   #16
My tip concerns the last stages, when you're sanding down the repair to get a smooth, and then a gloss, surface.

Contrary to everything you may have done up till now, you need a hard sanding block - indeed a very small block of wood is the perfect 'pad' to wrap the wet and dry paper around. What you are trying to do is sand off any lumps on the repair, without sanding off any of the original gel coat - you can't really do that, but you're aiming to come close.

So your hard sanding pad wants to be not much bigger than the repair and you want to be able to hold it square to the surface, so deep sides on the pad/block help. Slow, gentle and steady is your friend. Even a tiny repair will need 10 minutes of sanding.

What you really, really don't want to do is fold a piece of sandpaper in thirds and then try to hold it in your fingers - that's a good way of changing the area that needs repair from 1/4" diameter to 4" diameter......

Andrew Gibbens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 02:00 PM   #17
Trailer: 2005 16 ft Scamp
Okay, I am going to try and post the pics

Click image for larger version

Name:	002.JPG
Views:	31
Size:	62.5 KB
ID:	20157

Click image for larger version

Name:	001.JPG
Views:	39
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	20156

If you all can't tell how big it is, I will take a further away shot, let me know. Hope this helps and I really appreciate all the help and advice. Monica
Monica M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 03:35 PM   #18
Name: Pete
Trailer: 17 ft 1986 Burro
I got some gelcoat repair stuff in a tube from Boaters World that will fill small holes and look ok.
Just smoosh it in and maybe smooth it out with wax paper and finger. It dries hard.
pjanits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 03:49 PM   #19
Name: Rachel
Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)

That sounds like it's "Scratch Patch" or a similar product, which will work great if the color happens to match (which it may very well do). If it doesn't match, and Monica wants to mix up a custom color, then she'll want the kit with th pigments, and with the filler/catalyst in separate packets.

I would call that a "chip," and it looks to me like it is a perfect candidate for a gelcoat repair, with no extra filler needed. Because it is near/on a corner, you won't really be able to make use of a flat anding block, but will have to be careful to keep the corner profile right, and not to sand through the gelcoat next to the patch. Corners sand very easily (sometimes too easily!)

Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 04:20 PM   #20
Trailer: 1970 Boler
bondo does not soak up water like a sponge. You are thinking of house hold filler to fix drywall....its not the same as it uses a hardner.

I think everyone is making too much of this. Its a small hole from a screw driver if I am, reading this right. Some regular auto body filler should be fine (read bondo), as its a small little hole your filling....why cover the hole area with fibreglass just for a little hole/scrape?

If you get the right stuff your fine with flexing. they have been using filler on Corvettes (fiberglass shells) for years.

Kurt in BC is offline   Reply With Quote